320kbps vs Apple Lossless
Jan 9, 2011 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ajumbaje

New Head-Fier
I'm in the process of re-ripping my cds into apple lossless from aiff. Reason is that I'm running out of space on my ipod classic and I would think re-ripping into lossless would help a "little".

My main question is...Is there an audible difference b/w 320kbps and apple lossless? Right now, my only means of listening to my music are:
Jaybird SB1
Car stock speakers(fairly good to say the least...2002 Rendezvous) - via alpine ida-x305s deck
Alessandro MS-1
Sennheiser CX300(might be replacing soon)

I know people have said that once you get to really expensive equipment you can hear the difference, but at this level(of products I own) can you hear the difference? If not, I'll just rip to 320 and feel comfortable about buying more cds :)

Jan 9, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 11
I don't think there is a significant difference at this level, use 320 and save some space!

Use LAME and mp3gain if you chose to use mp3.

Jan 9, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 11
Best way is to test it yourself.

http://www.foobar2000.org/download + http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_abx

I can't tell the difference between 320bkps and FLAC/Wav but give it a try. Infact I'd encode VBR with the -V0 setting if I was you. (I use Q7 Vorbis/Ogg but that's not supported by the iPod unless you have Rockbox)
As the previous poster said use the latest version of LAME as the encoder can make a big difference and LAME has had a ton of improvements made over the years.

Edit: Give AAC 256kbps a try I'd be surprised if you could tell it apart from ALAC, well I can't anyway.

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #5 of 11
Suppose you succeed at the DBT tests (not an easy task), another question would be:

Do you pay enough attention to the music while on the move to make the difference between lossless and AAC?
Most likely no.

Keep a lossless copy at home and a lossy one on the iPod. and be happy.

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
I don't think there is a significant difference at this level, use 320 and save some space!

May i know at what level will the significant difference come in? Please advice, because im considering getting a whole stack of CDs to rip apple lossless. Many thanks.

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
Quote:

May i know at what level will the significant difference come in? Please advice, because im considering getting a whole stack of CDs to rip apple lossless. Many thanks.

That will definitely vary depending on your ears but on a DAP there won't be much of a difference, if any at all. It's good to have a lossless copy though.

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #8 of 11
http://www.vel.co.nz/vel.co.nz/Blog/Entries/2009/8/21_ABX_of_Lossless_versus_MP3_-_Part_3_-_Results_and_Discussion.html This may be a good read.

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:

Agreed, if there is a difference, I've yet to hear it on my equipment.  This is exactly what I do, throw the 320 version on my ipod and leave the lossless versions on my computer, although to be honest I rarely listen to the latter. 

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #10 of 11

You should always rip lossless anyway. As they say at dbPowerAmp (a GREAT tool by the way!) "Rip once, rip right". I have my entire library ripped to FLAC. I only need to handle my CD's once, then I put them in a box and usually never need to touch them again. From my FLAC library I can do anything, including create ALAC for my iPod, mp3, AAC, whatever. You should always rip to lossless.

Quote:
Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back