320 kbps MP3 vs. normal audio CD listening Sound quality
Feb 5, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #421 of 547
Quote:
As a long time guitar gear head, it's easy for me to tell digital vs. analog. the problem is the industry has made everything smaller and easier by killing quality. So unless you are ready to give up space, cash, and go see some live music, settle for the thin processed digital sounds. Mp3 vs cd???? Both are sharp, tiny, distorted pieces of the original, but you can't fit a full analog band in your car or pocket. Think I'm gonna put on the Red Hot Chiili Peppers latest 24 bit xrcd remaster. It sounds great, dare I say better than mp3 but not analog.

I don't think anyone argues on the point of a real guitar vs a recorded one. The rest (digital vs analog, 24 bit vs 16 bit) are well covered debates everywhere, and there's plenty of stuff to go through in order to make up your mind.

But you can always use your ears, they're probably the most reliable human sensory organ.
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #422 of 547
Quote:
As a long time guitar gear head, it's easy for me to tell digital vs. analog. 

Either that or you are fooling yourself. The history of blind tests suggests the later.

the problem is the industry has made everything smaller and easier by killing quality. So unless you are ready to give up space, cash, and go see some live music, settle for the thin processed digital sounds. Mp3 vs cd???? Both are sharp, tiny, distorted pieces of the original, but you can't fit a full analog band in your car or pocket.

You seem to be implying that analog recording is inherently better than digital. It's easy to see why you might think that - but there is a lot of non-easy to understand evidence that says this is bs.

give up space, cash, and go see some live music, settle for the thin processed digital sounds. Mp3 vs cd???? Both are sharp, tiny, distorted pieces of the original, but you can't fit a full analog band in your car or pocket. Think I'm gonna put on the Red Hot Chiili Peppers latest 24 bit xrcd remaster.

That reminds me - I have a CD I have to make an ogg of. It's by Placebo...

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #423 of 547
Quote:
Think I'm gonna put on the Red Hot Chiili Peppers latest 24 bit xrcd remaster. It sounds great, dare I say better than mp3 but not analog.

When you talk about Red Hot Chili Peppers and sound quality, I'm afraid you totally lose me.

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #425 of 547
Quote:
Blood Sugar Sex Magik sounds pretty good (DR14).

I think it is the last album of theirs that does.....

obviously this one was not "loudness war" mangled like the later albums were. 

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #426 of 547
Mediocre is the new good.

Feb 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #429 of 547
I think people who just listen to current rock music don't know what good sound sounds like. It's like bologna... Sure, there's salami which is undeniably better than regular old Oscar Meyer Bologna. But it still isn't a T Bone Steak.

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #431 of 547
Folks are free to like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but even at their best, they aren't really examples of "great sound".

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #433 of 547
Quote:
Listen to "The Empyrean" by John Frusciante, their guitarist. Excellent mastering.

+1 John Frusciante's most recent album is excellently mastered imo. RHCP not so much.

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #434 of 547
Quote:
I think people who just listen to current rock music don't know what good sound sounds like. It's like bologna... Sure, there's salami which is undeniably better than regular old Oscar Meyer Bologna. But it still isn't a T Bone Steak.

Would like an example of what you think sounds great. Would like to compare it with BSSM (which I also think sounds great) for reference, if you'd be willing to do that.

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #435 of 547
Try Arthur Fiedler's Gaietie Parisienne...

http://www.amazon.com/Offenbach-parisienne-Rossini-Respighi-boutique-fantasque/dp/B0006PV5VW/

It was one of the very first stereo recordings, made in June, 1954 and it sounds light years better than anything today. No lie. Check it out yourself, my man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back