30th Nov - No shopping Day
Dec 1, 2002 at 5:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

N@Z

1000+ Head-Fier
I didn't know about it till I saw CNN early this morning.

Suffice to say I was shopping with my wife & kid on that day. Bought a little rug, a bob the builder lego set for my son, a little plastic rack for storing my MG Head's tubes & a few other smaller items for my wife.

So... what did you buy or did you observe the No Shopping Day?

Dec 1, 2002 at 5:51 AM Post #2 of 11
a bread knife, car wax, and a pyrex glass dish for the microwave.

buy what you need and not what you want. i need my k1000's to arrive already!
biggrin.gif

headphones. they're a necessity.

Dec 1, 2002 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 11
Today was the first time I've been out of the house since before Thanksgiving. I went shopping. Just for necessaties though.
Never heard about the no shopping day
Never heard about the smoke out day either.

Ah...........the joys of living in the middle of nowhere
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2002 at 6:52 AM Post #4 of 11
We're coming up to some festivities here as well so you can imagine all the shopping sprees going on at the moment. I don't even think anyone is too worried about it either!

But whether we would admit it or not, there is something satisfying about going out shopping. Many a time I have gone out with no particular shopping list & end up buying that piece of tool, rack or what not that I won't use but would come in handy one day!
rolleyes.gif

My wife always rolls her eyes everytime I buy things like that but guess who end up nicking them & using it?!
evil_smiley.gif
Incidently, she out right now... getting a new mobile phone. I think she has gone through several already, buying then selling it off so on & so forth. Mind you I did go throught that as well at one point, don't see the point now... but I diagress.

Did anyone else buy anything extravagant?

Dec 1, 2002 at 10:22 AM Post #5 of 11
Went to the St. Augustine Art & Craft Show yesterday. Bought a pewter and glass Hummingbird for my daughter for Christmas and ran into the guy that I took picyures at Palm Beach Fairgrounds Speedway with back in the mid 60's.

Hadn't seen him since then. We took pictures of the races at Palm Beach, Ft. Pierce, Tampa and Hialeah. Lot of fun and the best seats at the tracks. He's now traveling the Craft Show circuit selling photos and he had some great shots of the St. Augustine Lighthouse, so I bought one from him at a discount.

Great to run into an old friend.

Dec 1, 2002 at 7:25 PM Post #7 of 11
Hmmm, apparently it's something started by environmentalists because people end up wasting alot of the stuff they buy, and that day is the biggest shopping day of the year in the US. That's what a Google search turned up, anyways. I hadn't heard about it before, and don't really care now that I know about it. I didn't shop that day, but only because I didn't feel like fighting through huge crowds.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 2, 2002 at 1:05 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Mystyler
What on earth is No Shopping Day?
confused.gif

I watched PBS and it described about it. It's the 11th year of No shopping day, it started in Canada, and now it's expended to many countries including USA.
eek.gif

People use this day to protest again wasteful spending....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back