300$ to spend on entry level amp/headphones
Dec 8, 2017 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

FlyEaglesFly

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone!

Im an entry level audiophile looking for some recommendations. I currently have a budget around 300$ to spend on a pair of headphones and a nice entry level amplifier.

My current cans: Grado SR 80's really got my feet wet. I rewired them so they now have detachable RCA inputs on them and also messed with the diaphragm to improve base output.
Current audio source: TIDAL
Music genre: Hip-hop, r&b, jazz

Anyways I was thinking about purchasing a pair of Sen's 6XX for 200 and getting an amp to accompany them. I was looking at either an O2 or Magni 3 to properly drive them. Did a lot of research and Mac's actually come with great integrated DAC's so for now till I can earn some more money to build my stack I'd rather wait on one.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Dec 8, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 10
Pick the headphone that suits your preferences the best. Then start thinking about the setup.
You'll be able to find various quality headphones in your price range, but they all sound different, so try to pick the one that suits you and your music the best. If you want massive soundstage HD6XX won't do that. If you want smooth treble, it will. Those are the kind of things you should take in consideration. DT880 (600 Ohm) is very sparkly and energetic but can be unforgiving with less than perfect audiophile recordings. AKG K702 and K712 have great soundstage and are very precise reference headphones, but have a more ethereal and drier sound relative to the HD6XX/HD650.

If you like listening to music at loud levels, you might benefit from a darkish headphone. Otherwise a slightly bright headphone can be a nice pick. If you listen to top quality recordings (classical, jazz, audiophile female vocal, ...) then a very analytical headphone can be a good thing. If you prefer more mainstream music, pop, edm, rock, metal, then a slightly forgiving headphone with a warm tonality can be more fun.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 10
+1 on the 6xx and Magni 3. Honestly the best value combo in existence right now. The Magni 3 is the best amp at/under 100 bucks and the 6xx is one of the best 200 dollar open backs. IMO it's a no brainer

Dec 8, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 10
+1 on the 6xx and Magni 3. Honestly the best value combo in existence right now. The Magni 3 is the best amp at/under 100 bucks and the 6xx is one of the best 200 dollar open backs. IMO it's a no brainer
Thanks for the confirmation! Looks like my research was on point.

Quick question, are the sens really that bad when not powered by an amp? Like if im not by my computer and want to power them through a mobile device like an iPhone are they still usable and pleasurable to listen to?

Dec 8, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the confirmation! Looks like my research was on point.

Quick question, are the sens really that bad when not powered by an amp? Like if im not by my computer and want to power them through a mobile device like an iPhone are they still usable and pleasurable to listen to?
You'll get sound but it won't be as exciting or musical, if that makes any sense to you. Of course you could also be less picky and not even mind too much. They deserve a decent setup though and I think you'd be happy to hear what they have to offer through the Magni 3

Dec 8, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 10
Hey everyone!

My current cans: Grado SR 80's really got my feet wet. I rewired them so they now have detachable RCA inputs on them and also messed with the diaphragm to improve base output.

Music genre: Hip-hop, r&b, jazz

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Grados arent a good choice for your musical choices.

Yes,you pretty much need an amp for the HD650/6xx
FWIW My brother is powering a pair of HD650s thru a McIntosh MH150($4500.00) and he is missing sub bass for hip/hop....

I might suggest a planar like HE-400(original)which needs an amp. If you want a similar sound w/o an amp look into Meze99s....a bit more $ tho.

Dec 9, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 10
My brother is powering a pair of HD650s thru a McIntosh MH150($4500.00)
same vrother who picked this for his first foray into headphones?

Dec 9, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #8 of 10
yup...

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #10 of 10
Heh im just freaking jealous!

Yup,me too...and since we live on opposite ends of the country I prolly will never even get to hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back