300 Ohm Headphone Speakers
Nov 30, 2009 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Devros

New Head-Fier
I have been looking for some 300 ohm headphones speakers, but have been unable to find them. I can find the 150's and 600's but no 300's how come? I need them to be about 1 1/2" to 2" in diameter, do they make them. If so could someone point me to the place to get them. I have been making headphones for metal detector's and have a couple of request's for 300 Ohms'. Thanks for your time.

On another note, I have found this site very interesting and just full of information about things that I might not have thought about before. Thanks

Dec 1, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 11
Do I have this thread in the wrong area? I would like to get this issue taken care of. Thanks, If it needs to go someplace else please let me know and I will post it there.

Dec 1, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 11
You could destroy a pair of Sennheiser HD650s. They're 300 ohm.

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 11
Yea I thought of that but in doing so that would make the cost of my headphones sky rocket. I guess I will just have to tell him I can not find 300 ohm headphone speakers.

But if anyone knows of a place to buy good headphone speakers please let me know, thanks guys.

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 11
The hd600 drivers are available online for about $55 each and I believe you can get the hd650 drivers by calling sennheiser.

You can also get 250ohm beyerdynamic drivers over the phone.

Dec 3, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #7 of 11
So you can buy just the speakers (drivers) then from Sennheiser, I didn't know that. I will have to give them a call and see what they have to say. Thanks for you help everyone, but if you do find a place to buy generic 300 Ohm speakers please do let me know.

Dec 3, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #8 of 11
Forgive my curiosity, but what does the impedance of headphones have to do with the listening component of metal detector use? If I'm not mistaken, the detector just sort of beeps with varying intensity regarding whether metal is nearby. Seems that any headphones would do the job for this.

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #9 of 11
Metal detectors typically need mono headphones, something few in this forum know anything about. You'd be better off on a forum about metal detectors, if one exists.

I'm also not sure why you need 300 ohms, but a quick search returns this page

Metal Detector Headphones

There's a 300 ohm Fischer headphone on that page for $90. Unless 300 ohms is really needed, I'd go for the $25, 8 ohm Calrads.

Dec 13, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgive my curiosity, but what does the impedance of headphones have to do with the listening component of metal detector use? If I'm not mistaken, the detector just sort of beeps with varying intensity regarding whether metal is nearby. Seems that any headphones would do the job for this.

There's more to metal detector headphones that meets the eye. There are just as nice headphones for them as there are for your stuff here. I am just looking for the 300Ohm's for a customer, why he wants them 300 I don't know, I don't ask I just build them. But the way a "Beep" sounds is the difference between a deep target, or a silver coin, or gold ring, or what ever. It's all about the tones, and the better the headphones the better the sound and you can hear the tones much better.

Dec 13, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #11 of 11
That's pretty cool, I guess. Beach-combing, a new hobby for us on head-fi?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back