30 year old headphone amp
Apr 24, 2004 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

BigD

1000+ Head-Fier
Just got my mcintosh c28 from technical service center. Some of you probably know I had some trouble with my k501. These AKGs are very demanding in its amp, source, and recording. Fist I thought my perreaux was not powerful enough, but later I found out it was more senstive to cd player and records.

What C28 has:
ELECTRICAL:
- Headphone amplifier built-in at 0.75V at 8 ohms with 20 watts power rating
FRONT PANEL:
- Comp: pres, flat loud selection
- Separate treble and bass controls each channel
TOP PANEL:
- Bass trim on right and left channel
- Headphone output level on each channel

With all these adjustment controls, my k501 became warmer, fuller and richer in sonic character.
K501/perreaux combo is better in wider horizontal soundstage and separation, but lack the vertical depth and height. Sometimes vocals are benhind all instructment as well.
K501/C28 combo is better in high/low frequency extension and center imaging (no longer hollow in the center stage), but narrowed the width of soundstage. Now vocals are in the middle of the band, NOT behind.
I love old American vintage hi-fi!!!
Long Live marantz and mcintosh!!!

Apr 24, 2004 at 2:00 PM Post #2 of 12
vintige equipment is great isn't it?

sometimes u can scrore some really good ones at bargen shops.

last time i just missed out on a Marantz amp for $20 at 2nd hand shop >.< full working as well. just had big sold signs on it

Apr 24, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 12
I just wish more people would look into it and get the best they can for the money and sound. I also have a vintage marantz integrated amp (Model 1180DC) and stereophonic tuner (Model 1200). Only sad thing is that it's still at my dad's. My 1180DC and 1200 are in a perfect mint condition. It has been sitting in my father's living room for 27 years. Also kept in the original wooden case with 0 sign of wear.
After months of research, I found the owner's manual, warranty paper and every document possible on the internet.

Apr 24, 2004 at 11:55 PM Post #4 of 12
I have a Marantz 1060 amp and it drives my Senn hd-650 without a problem. It I put the volume at anything higher than 9:00 it becomes too loud. I bought on ebay for $100 and it is as good, if not better than any of the meta42 or pimeta amps I've had. However, it is soon to be replaced by an Eddie Current HD-300 tube amp. Might have to sell it. Ths vintage stuff is pretty good if you find one in decent shape.

Apr 25, 2004 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 12
Another happy user of vintage amps here.

Vintage amps tend to be very musical and warm. I use a Bradford IC FET and have found it to be preferable to ANY opamp-based amp I have heard with the V6s.

However, there are often problems, especially with noise. Very high floor noise on the IC FET, but the mellow bass more than makes up for it.

Apr 25, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #6 of 12
I am using a Marantz 2226 receiver and it powers my HD580s perfectly well, cost me $49 and I even get to listen to FM radio occaisionally as well, there are loads of old Marantz Amps and Receivers on eBay these days - some are going for less than $40, others seem to attract $200+ for the same unit - go figure

Apr 25, 2004 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 12
I guess I'm blessed in this regard. All my 25+ year old equipments are from my family and friends from their 1st hand. Like my father's marantz, I have not seen any marantz in the condition he kept. crap looks new!!! I think there is a definite risk involved when buying from total unknown stranger. However from many audiophile websites, many are honest and helpful like here at head-fi. Best bet is seeing the equipment and purchasing it.

Apr 25, 2004 at 6:08 AM Post #9 of 12
I used to have a C33 a newer version of the C28 and its headphone amp is a dedicated 20 watt Power amp however the High value Resistors is in series with the phones should be replaced with smaller value

Apr 25, 2004 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

I've got a MINT Pioneer SX-1050 in storage. Anyone try the headhone output on one of these monsters? Think it would worth draging out and pluging in the HD650?

Hi leasingguy,
you got nothing to lose here. Try it out! Is it pre-1980 model???

Quote:

I used to have a C33 a newer version of the C28 and its headphone amp is a dedicated 20 watt Power amp however the High value Resistors is in series with the phones should be replaced with smaller value

Hi ppl,
I don't know how to build amps. You mean I should change high value resistors to smaller value resistors in my preamp??? Can you explain me more???

Apr 26, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #11 of 12
Anyone interested in vintage audio gear suitable for use as a headphone amplifier should check out the Amplification for Sale forum. There is a link there to an Ebay auction for a Marantz 1060 integrated amplifier that can be purchased with the Buy-It-Now option for the very reasonable sum of $75, plus shipping.

The Marantz 1060 works best with high impedance phones such as AKG phones and some Sennheiser phones (580/600/650). When coupled with one of these model headphones the Marantz 1060 will provide sound quality equal to or better than any solid state amplifier costing up to $300~$400.

Not just a headphone amplifier, the Marantz 1060 also features a highly regarded magnetic cartridge phono stage preamplifier, tone controls, balance control, low and high filters, loudness control, four high level inputs, and the ability to drive up to two pair of speakers with 30 watts per channel RMS power. The preamplifer section can also be used separately from the power amplifier section, for maximum flexibility.

Apr 26, 2004 at 7:09 PM Post #12 of 12
For those need some good spec and description of vintage mcintosh:
www.roger-russell.com
www.berners.ch/mcintosh/en/mchome.htm

For those need American vintage hi-fi:
www.leesound.com

For those need consumer reviews:
www.ecoustics.com

These will be a good starter
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back