3 quick Xonar Essence STX questions:
Jun 12, 2009 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

sell224

New Head-Fier
After a long search for some sort of headphone amp, I have decided to go with the ASUS Xonar Essence STX due to its low price (relative to buying a DAC and a headphone amp) and the ability to upgrade to an external headphone amp in the future.

Speakers: Mackie hr824
Headphones: Beyer dt770

My questions:
1. I see that there are two 1/4 inch plugs in the back of the sound card, but I haven't fully been able to figure out what they are for. Would I be able to plug left channel and right channel studio monitors into them? That is all.

2. I would initially plan on using the 1/8 headphone plug to plug the headphones into, but I might buy a tube amp in the future. How would I go about connecting a little dot mkII for example to this sound card? (Which plugs).

3. Plugging in both the monitors and headphones in at the same time, would I be able to switch off between them without having to unplug either (do it through the digital UI).

Very simple questions, hoping for very simple answer! Thanks.

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sell224 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a long search for some sort of headphone amp, I have decided to go with the ASUS Xonar Essence STX due to its low price (relative to buying a DAC and a headphone amp) and the ability to upgrade to an external headphone amp in the future.

Speakers: Mackie hr824
Headphones: Beyer dt770

My questions:
1. I see that there are two 1/4 inch plugs in the back of the sound card, but I haven't fully been able to figure out what they are for. Would I be able to plug left channel and right channel studio monitors into them? That is all.

I have the Xonar Essence STX. The 1/4" plugs are the mic/line in jacks and the amplified headphone out jack. If you wanted to connect monitors to the card, you would have to use the RCA jacks.

Quote:

2. I would initially plan on using the 1/8 headphone plug to plug the headphones into, but I might buy a tube amp in the future. How would I go about connecting a little dot mkII for example to this sound card? (Which plugs).

There is no 1/8" jack on the STX, only RCA outs, 1 coxial and the aformentioned 1/4" jacks. You would use the RCA jacks to connected a headphone amp. The 1/4" headphone out is only if you are going to use the internal amplifier.

Quote:

3. Plugging in both the monitors and headphones in at the same time, would I be able to switch off between them without having to unplug either (do it through the digital UI).

Very simple questions, hoping for very simple answer! Thanks.

If you plug your phones into the 1/4" jack and the monitors into the RCA, then it is very easy to switch between them. There is an option in the driver audio console where you select the output device.

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #3 of 17
Awesome, thanks for the helpful info. So I guess my last concern is that I currenyly plug in my monitors through two 1/4" guitar jack chords into the mobile pre channel 1 and 2 inputs, left and right. Do you know, would the mackies be able to use the RCA inputs? They are different correct?

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #4 of 17
Yeah, all they would need is a 1/4" to rca adapter. Easily found at Radio Shack or the like.

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 17
Keep in mind that if you want to add an external amplifier in the future you will either need Y-splitters to split the signal from the card to your amp and to your speakers (not recommended), or a pre-amp with 2 outputs if you don't want to switch cables to go from speakers to headphones.

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep in mind that if you want to add an external amplifier in the future you will either need Y-splitters to split the signal from the card to your amp and to your speakers (not recommended), or a pre-amp with 2 outputs if you don't want to switch cables to go from speakers to headphones.

Why not recommended? I have seperate powered speakers and powered sub and use Y-splitters from Blue Jeans Cable and they work well. Maybe it's not the most elegant solution but it still sounds pretty great.

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #8 of 17
My understanding is that a line-level signal is not very strong, so splitting (and thereby weakening) it will increase the noise floor. I could be wrong though. You never know how a pre-amp will alter the signal or add it's own noise either.

Jun 13, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #9 of 17
Just so you know, if you upgrade to an external amp you lose the ability to use Dolby Headphone. The drivers will always associate the RCA out with speakers.

Jun 13, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #12 of 17
or you can use DVS in its place. Which I Now use after getting my speakers and using them with my amp.

Jul 22, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reputator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just so you know, if you upgrade to an external amp you lose the ability to use Dolby Headphone. The drivers will always associate the RCA out with speakers.

Too bad. So if I will connect external amp trough the 2 RCA on stx i won't be able to use any of it effects such as Dolby Headphone's or Eax? It would be really annoying switching headphones jack from my external amp to stx's amp every time i wan't to play a game or watch a movie :/

Maybe there is some driver update which could solve this problem?

Jul 22, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #14 of 17
EAX works on all outputs. Dolby Headphone is IMO awful and I never use it.

Jul 22, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by taso89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EAX works on all outputs. Dolby Headphone is IMO awful and I never use it.

Thanks for info. And how about GX 2.5? Does it work on all outputs too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back