3 New Elvis Costello re-masters!
Oct 22, 2002 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
In this latest series of vastly superior EC re-masters, here's the roster:

Due Nov. 19:

1. Mighty Like a Rose. Putrid late'80s effort, possibly his second to worst album.

2. Imperial Bedroom. Over-rated but still good. This is a transitional record between the old and new Elvis.

3. Armed Forces. One of his all-time best and that's saying a lot. At the top of my list!

Mark

Oct 23, 2002 at 3:47 AM Post #2 of 3
Saw Elvis in Boston last night, a 2nd visit in 6 months I suppose a 2nd leg of the tour to hype the new disc of bsides Cruel Smile.

I've seen him 12 or more times...and it was a good show, Pete Thomas was unreal, Steve Naive is in great form with theremin and melodica solos...and Elvis was in good voice.

But 45 has its own cruelties. You get the feeling that the man is determined not to look and sound old, but that somehow, he can't quite escape and fully reinvigorate the dominance of his own style.

I'm as rabid a fan as can be, and have kept up with all his work, AND the multiple sets of reissues. But, maybe I'm just getting tired.

The man works hard though...and does indulge the audiences passion for the catalog. The Imposters did an absolutely amazing version of New Lace Sleeves that made the whole night worth it, imo...

Oct 23, 2002 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 3
I'm going to have to buy Armed Forces at least. I'm listening to the release on Demon Records right now and the whole thing is distorted. With good phones it is unlistenable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back