3.5mm vs. RCA output - any difference?
Dec 9, 2018 at 11:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jaybird5619

New Head-Fier
Greetings. I just discovered this Forum and this is my first post, so please bear with me ... I tried a search related to my question, but did not immediately find an answer. If there's a thread somewhere, or if this is an inappropriate post, just let me know.

Here's my question: If wanting to connect a pair of speakers (either self-amplified or via a separate amp) to a DAC, with all else being equal in terms of bit depth, sampling rate, etc., is there any inherent sonic/technical advantage in getting a DAC with dedicated RCA line outs (e.g., NuForce uDAC5) vs. one with only a 3.5mm jack (e.g., Meridian Explorer and Dragonfly). I realize if I went with the latter, I'd need to get a 3.5mm to RCA adapter (which in itself might be the reason enough to go with dedicated RCA outs). I will would be using this DAC for primarily home/desktop listening -- if it offered portability great, but that's not my main objective.

Open to any and all ideas. Thanks.

Dec 9, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #2 of 7
How dare you post this. In HERE of all places! You've got some nerve...

My people, get the pitchforks and torches, let's get this asshole!
I'm just kidding, welcome to the forums. As to your question, I haven't a clue.

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 7
Too funny, you actually had me going there for a few seconds! (Nice car, BTW).
Thank you sir! Hopefully someone will shed some light on your inquiry.

Dec 10, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 7
Here's my question: If wanting to connect a pair of speakers (either self-amplified or via a separate amp) to a DAC, with all else being equal in terms of bit depth, sampling rate, etc., is there any inherent sonic/technical advantage in getting a DAC with dedicated RCA line outs (e.g., NuForce uDAC5) vs. one with only a 3.5mm jack (e.g., Meridian Explorer and Dragonfly). I realize if I went with the latter, I'd need to get a 3.5mm to RCA adapter (which in itself might be the reason enough to go with dedicated RCA outs). I will would be using this DAC for primarily home/desktop listening -- if it offered portability great, but that's not my main objective.

Open to any and all ideas.

It's not really the plug and jack but the circuit behind it.

Download the manual on the Explorer and on a specific version of the Dragonfly and verify if the sole 3.5mm output jack has a fixed voltage line out mode. If it does then no problem really, especially if it does 2V. Note that portable DACs can have lower than 2V iine out so you'd be more dependent on the speaker amp gain and power delivery to get the speakers louder.

If you're using symmetrical design active monitors though a headphone output is a convenient though not ideal substitute for a preamp controlled variable voltage output.

Dec 10, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 7
Greetings. I just discovered this Forum and this is my first post, so please bear with me ... I tried a search related to my question, but did not immediately find an answer. If there's a thread somewhere, or if this is an inappropriate post, just let me know.
Open to any and all ideas. Thanks.
RCA jacks are more durable, then a 3.5mm
Technically the RCA connection is better, RCA comes with separate gound wires, while 3.5mm uses a shared ground wire,
does it make a noticeable difference for most peoples use, no.

Dec 10, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #7 of 7
RCA jacks are more durable, than a 3.5mm.
^ this

Unless you need portability, stay away from 3.5mm. The only question is when it starts losing connectivity, not if. The actual contact area of the 3.5mm contact spring against the 3.5mm circumference is very, very small. Even gold contacts will lose their connectivity eventually with that small a surface area of contact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back