3.5mm out not working on laptop
Oct 20, 2009 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Gbjerke

1000+ Head-Fier
Our school gave us new laptop's this year, and as a clean slate i decided to use it for music. The 3.5mm jack isn't working, whether they did that to prevent us from listening to headphones in class, i don't know. Some of my classmates' 3.5mm out works just fine. I'm getting a mini USB DAC soon, so then it won't be much of a problem, but before then i need some advice. Nothing has happened to the jack, i suppose this is a 'software' problem.

I went into control panel and even deactivated the speakers while headphones were plugged in. The speakers keep playing and no headphone sound.

Please advise.

And as well, i was wondering if anyone knew of such a cable that goes 3.5mm injack to 3.5mm injack. To connect USB - 3.5mm to 3.5mm in - 3.5mm out to 3.5mm - RCA. I know that sounds stupid, but would be a nice way to connect a speaker amplifier to my computer as i already own 3.5mm - RCA. So i want one of those extensions, but not a jack to something to put a jack in, if u know what i mean, but something to put a jack in, to something to put another jack in.

So like this
IUUHTF_2_image.jpg

but with two of those in the same cable.
Is it possible to find /DIY?

Oct 20, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 9
It sounds like your headphone jack is simply busted. Computers typically auto-detect and switch over when headphones are plugged in

For the cable, you can just head to a Radio Shack or whatever local electronics store to find one. It should cost $5 or so. DIY is easy enough, although for just the one shot it will probably cost the same.

Oct 20, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds like your headphone jack is simply busted. Computers typically auto-detect and switch over when headphones are plugged in

For the cable, you can just head to a Radio Shack or whatever local electronics store to find one. It should cost $5 or so. DIY is easy enough, although for just the one shot it will probably cost the same.

Anyhow, after i deactivated the speaker, the volume got really low. It still is, and in the volume settings it says that there's no sound device installed. Or atleast that's the best a norwegian can translate it. How do i get it back+ it still plays music, but its not at all as loud as it used to be.
confused_face(1).gif
confused_face(1).gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 9
So i tried to install a new audio driver, but it wont let me install since im not an admin..

This is a mess

Oct 20, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #5 of 9
Rather than fiddle with something when you don't have admin access, can you just exchange it for one that works?

Oct 20, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 9
Well ill have an admin install a new driver and go from there on

Oct 20, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 9
My kids school laptop did something similar. He plugs in his headphones constantly. The plug however is on the front edge of the laptop. This failed finally, as did the plug on his headphone.

He finally got the laptop fixed, and I put a new right angle plug on his headphones.

Before this got fixed, I got him a PC Card Sound card, I don't remember which one, but it loaded in the side, and worked nicely for him.

Getting a USB DAC/AMP would be a nice solution if funds allow, something like a Total BitHead from Headroom will beat your laptop sound card by a mile, no drivers will be needed for most of these.

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #8 of 9
Maybe a factory problem, not software. Despite the onboard soundcards are not strong enough, it should works well. What's the model of the soundcard?

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #9 of 9
I'll check it out later. I'm just going to buy that cheap usb dac to 3.5mm cable that's been floating around for 50 bucks. I'll rarely be using the computer. The real problem now though, is that since i deactivated the speakers, their drivers are somehow gone. And without adminaccess i cant install new ones.Right now it doesn't even recignize any CD being in the DVD slot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back