2x microSD slot DAP... Which one?
Nov 25, 2015 at 11:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

gelocks

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello.

Just like the title says, I'm looking for a new player just cause we are nearing Christmas and I'm looking for gifts to give myself! Not only looking for a new player but one with lots of memory capabilities. Will I be using them at their fullest now? No, not really, at least not NOW, but still I would like to have it.
tongue.gif

Was checking out a couple of DAPs (currently use Sony NWZ-A17) and I see that the following have 2 microSD slots:

1. FiiO X5 2nd Generation (X5 II) (had the X3, tried the X5 before all the firmware updates...)
  2. Xduoo X3
  3. iBasso DX80
  4. Questyle QP1 (QP1R)
  5. Older Astel and Kern? (I had the AK100 mk2)
  6. Pioneer XDP-100R
  7. Onkyo DP-X1
  8. SOUNDAWARE Esther
  9. Cayin N5 
  10. Audio-Opus - Opus #1

Are there any others out there?

Finally:

• Which one would you prefer out of all of these (if you have tried it or have experience?) overall?
  • Which one has a less buggy UI?
  • Which one has the best battery life?
  • Do their library function work and are they limited to a specific number of files? (I like to listen to everything using "Shuffle all".)

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks.

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 33
Pioneer XDP-100R and Onkyo DP-X1 also have 2 microSD slots.

Oh, I had forgotten the Onkyo. Didn't know about the Pioneer one. They look huge! 16h battery life sounds nice, Android as platform, interesting.

I love my QP1R.   SQ way, way better than I expected.   

I've been hearing good things about this one!! UI is probably not the best compared to others but it seems that firmware updates will be coming frequently (the same can't be said about AK, Sony and who knows how Onkyo/Pioneer will respond).

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #5 of 33
Subscribed, I'm in the same boat... Value for money wise I'm close to pulling the pin and buying the fiio x5ii

Sent from my LG-D802T using Tapatalk

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 33
Subscribed, I'm in the same boat... Value for money wise I'm close to pulling the pin and buying the fiio x5ii

Yeah, I mean I actually liked the first generation X5 when I tested it (I think I reviewed the unit here as it was part of a tour) but the Ui and bugs kind of steered me away. If the new generation's firmware is stable, I might just go for it as well. But I definitely would like impressions from people who have tried any or most of these.... :)

Dec 4, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #9 of 33
Thanks.

Actually got a FiiO X5 2nd gen at a good price (used) and I have to say:

1) Interface is DEFINITELY improved over their first gen.
2) Battery life is about the same listening to MP3s, FLACs, and "HD" Flacs via Line Out (to Schiit Magni). I'm getting close to 12 hours playing All Songs via Shuffle, screen off.
3) Sound quality is definitely a STEP UP from my Sony NWZ-A17. FiiO definitely has a warmer sound with more bass presence but details are excellent. Now I listen to the Sonys and they sound so soft...
4) Haven't experienced ANY lock ups.
5) Player recognized my PNY 256GB SDXC Card (with microSD to SD adapter of course) with no issues. It also updated the library with no problems!! This was/is a biggie for me! It shows my 7000+ files.
6) Player is a bit slow responding. I'm guessing this is due to the number of songs?! No matter though, since I'm not constantly trying to find tracks, etc. etc.

So far impressed with the player.

Dec 4, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #10 of 33
I thought about mentioning mSD-SD adapter, but did not as not everyone like that aesthetics.

If you dont mind using that adapter though, now 256GB SDXC costs $75 USD shipped. With dual slots + 2 adapters + two 256GB SDXC, you can add close to 500GB for around $210.

Have you tried running two 256GB SDXCs with your Fiio X5II? Does it work?

If you were talking about slow responding after pressing forward button. I remebered JamesFiio said that it is a limitation of the CPU/circuit and cannot be improved through firmware. Number of songs should not matter there either.

I am eyeping the Xudoo X3 myself, primarily due to its lower cost and its Linux-based UI (possibility of Rockbox and parametric EQ).

Dec 4, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #11 of 33
I thought about mentioning mSD-SD adapter, but did not as not everyone like that aesthetics.

If you dont mind using that adapter though, now 256GB SDXC costs $75 USD shipped. With dual slots + 2 adapters + two 256GB SDXC, you can add close to 500GB for around $210.

Have you tried running two 256GB SDXCs with your Fiio X5II? Does it work?

If you were talking about slow responding after pressing forward button. I remebered JamesFiio said that it is a limitation of the CPU/circuit and cannot be improved through firmware. Number of songs should not matter there either.

I am eyeping the Xudoo X3 myself, primarily due to its lower cost and its Linux-based UI (possibility of Rockbox and parametric EQ).

Yeah a 256gb card is definitely a good deal. But I haven't run 2x 256gb cards. I do have 2 200gb microSD cards in the mail though. I don't think the FiiO will have any problems though... hopefully :wink:

Actually, I meant even navigating from one "section" to another. For example, going from the initial menu to the Now Playing screen, or categories screen, etc. But I'm just so used to the Sony that most of these Chinese DAP UIs will probably seem sluggish.

Yeah, the Xudoo X3 seems like an interesting option. I might definitely try it in the future but not sure how active is the support for this one... Ibasso and FiiO seem to come out with frequent updates. Not so on the others I believe...

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #15 of 33
I just got the x5ii and xduoo x3 on the way for giggles... Been playing with the x5 so far my thoughts.....
I have out in two 64gb micro xd cards with about 6000 songs on each
I loaded the library and am playing shuffle... Works well. However not sure this is because I have so many songs but when I browsing through by son/artist/album it's very sluggish through the menus... Doesn't bother me at the moment cause I use like playing shuffle through my massive song list.
Sound is awesome can tell it's got more punch and quality that the x1..(loved the x1 though great budget little player)

Will give you thoughts of the xduoo x3 when I get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back