2nd hand electronics sales will soon be illegal in Japan?
Mar 17, 2006 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 30
Hmm, wonder how this will affect the Japanese market for vintage tube amps, old Tannoys etc.
It's one way of stimulating the economy I suppose, but it sucks pretty hard.

Mar 17, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
And I thought the lead free Euro laws and ROHS standards were harsh...

Already too harsh for me.
From June on I can't import myself anything containing solder anymore, e.g. headphones.I'll have to pay the ridiculously high prizes for overseas goods, and some aren't even available at any price, e.g. AT headphones.

Mar 17, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Wong
(link)

That's more like it - our Japanese brothers and sisters can breathe more easily.
Interesting point about the second-hand Japanese-market car exports - quite a few of the more interesting vehicles end up here in England...all right hand drive of course
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 1:45 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
From June on I can't import myself anything containing solder anymore, e.g. headphones.I'll have to pay the ridiculously high prizes for overseas goods, and some aren't even available at any price, e.g. AT headphones.

WHAT!? Does that apply to the UK too?! Thats nuts!? What the hell is going on??

Mar 17, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by squall2072
WHAT!? Does that apply to the UK too?! Thats nuts!? What the hell is going on??

The environmentalist Nazis have taken over, man, and you haven't realized it yet?
I don't know if this european blunder is already implemented into UK laws, but if not it will soon be.
Reminds me of getting another few kilogramms of usable solder ASAP.

Mar 17, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #9 of 30
This applies to electronics that have internal power components. Examples: You can't sell a used Dreamcast (the power system is located inside the console) but you could sell a used slim Playstation 2 because the power brick is on the outside. I'm not precisely sure what the logic is behind this, but I know a lot of people who are into used videogames are making a big fuss.

More info here: http://www.time.com/time/asia/biz/ar...172277,00.html

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

The environmentalist Nazis have taken over, man, and you haven't realized it yet?
I don't know if this european blunder is already implemented into UK laws, but if not it will soon be.
Reminds me of getting another few kilogramms of usable solder ASAP.

I've been keeping my head out of the news lately, because everytime I read or watch something it makes me more and more annoyed at the idiots in charge.

Its about time we stood up and tore it all down, fricking EU law BS.

Long live Godspeed!!
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #12 of 30
People get the laws they deserve and when they know a thing is coming but stick their head in the sand letting fringe 'loonies" set the laws for everyone it is too late to cry about it when those laws are enacted.

This has been coming for a LONG TIME and no one gave a rats a8s until it directly impacted them personally.

Politicians live on public opinion and when all they hear and see is the fringe elements while everyone else remains silent they go with what is popular.The time to be heard has passed and it is too late to do anythig about it since every single major industry has already retooled to be compliant or are well on the way to compliance.

RoHs is based on bad science and will actually cause the opposite effect it was meant to correct but does that matter ? Hell no it does not !

the appearance of being GREEN and PC is far more important than actually getting it done.This is the opening shot and proved to certain groups they have enough power to IMPOSE their views on others through legislation and those who watch from the sidelines and remain quiet are as much to blame as the ones who impose by allowing it.

rant over
tongue.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #13 of 30
It's not as bad as most think if you read the articles posted here. It seems as though they will only be stringently testing power supplies, heating coils and the like that can cause fire hazards. This is a case of the little guy getting screwed by legislation. It appears as though the larger brick-and-mortar locations that can afford to set up service depts to verify the integrity of 2nd hand units for resale will be fine. The little mom&pops that can't will be screwed and lose valuable business.

Mar 17, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

This is a case of the little guy getting screwed by legislation.

while being told it is best for them
rolleyes.gif

Same old story where the "I know what is best" crew deicides to pass a law FORCING their views on others because without the backing of the law most normal humans would just tell them to stick it !

Opening shot and will go far deeper befor it ends with only the big players l landing on their feet when the dust settles in around five years
rolleyes.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Wait I missed something! What is going on over there? Why the new restictions? Why havent I heard anything about it?? It sounds like your getting screwed into buying only domestic goods

Users who are viewing this thread

Back