$2K on Portable DAP, DAC/AMP, CIEM & Cable. Recommendations please?
Jan 19, 2014 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Occy

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all :)

So I sold my car a few weeks ago which was my main source of hifi away from the home, and I'm in need of a new portable rig now. I'm trying to learn as much as I can, but I'd like some feedback/suggestions/advise before I pull the trigger on anything. 

I am after:
DAP
DAC/Amp (balanced output)
CIEM's

I do have a couple of requirements:
 - Maximum stack of 2 including DAP & DAC/Amp for portable use (I want portable, not transportable)
 - The DAC/AMP I purchase must also serve as a balanced headphone amp between my Essence STX soundcard and my HE-400 headphones for home.

At this stage I'm considering a rockboxed DX50 as a temporary DAP until the DX90 is released. Then the DX50 will be relegated to gym/cycling duties paired with my current RE0 & RE-400's

For a DAC/AMP I'm considering the http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/intruder]RSA 'Intruder'[/url] as this unit seems to fit my requirements well. Any thoughts on how this would fit into my portable rig with the DX50/90 and which CIEM's should I be looking to pair with it? or any other recommendations?

How would the 'Intruder' go as a balanced headphone amp between my STX and HE-400's?

Please feel free to recommend anything else you think could suit my needs and is within budget.
I'll also need some cable recommendations. 

My music tastes are mostly downtempo electronic, blues, rock and some classical.
My current portable setup is RE0 and RE-400 via Android.

Thanks in advance for any feedback/advice you can share :)

Jan 19, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #2 of 6
So you sold your car in exchange for a high end DAC and AMP?

Pretty good trade off if you ask me, I've heard with a few commands the Schiit Gungnir can fly when coupled with the Mjolnir.

In all seriousness though those two are good choices.

Jan 19, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #3 of 6
  So you sold your car in exchange for a high end DAC and AMP?

Pretty good trade off if you ask me, I've heard with a few commands the Schiit Gungnir can fly when coupled with the Mjolnir.

In all seriousness though those two are good choices.

Sold my Subaru wagon which had a pretty high SQ car audio setup in it in favour of a classic JDM 1975 Toyota Celica GT2000 Liftback and it only has a mono FM radio which doesn't pick up any local stations. Planning a 4000km road trip in March to do the Great Ocean Road in Victoria and I need some decent audio for the trip :)

Jan 19, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 6
  Sold my Subaru wagon which had a pretty high SQ car audio setup in it in favour of a classic JDM 1975 Toyota Celica GT2000 Liftback and it only has a mono FM radio which doesn't pick up any local stations. Planning a 4000km road trip in March to do the Great Ocean Road in Victoria and I need some decent audio for the trip :)

That's wild. A 4000km road trip. Wow. Not in a bad way that's just a lot of driving mate. The most I've ever driven was from Jersey to NC and that took a toll on me, I enjoy traveling and sight seeing so it's no biggie though.

Anyway have you looked in to Schiit audio?

Jan 19, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #5 of 6

Anyway have you looked in to Schiit audio?

I did have a quick look at their site after reading your first post, but they don't seem to do a DAC/Amp combo (single unit) which breaks my double stack max rule. :-/
Also the 2 bits of gear you listed would pop my budget once I include DAP and CIEM's.

Rudi has recommended the Centrance Hi Fi M8 and Unique Melody Miracle's so I'll do some research on those as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back