$299 Roland Mobile UA - USB DAC/amp with S1LKi 1-bit DSP
Sep 19, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #106 of 129
For the different sample rates, yes I can play thru different formats, the UA-10 interface shows me the proper rate for each song. That with both ASIO and WASAPI.
But as I said, because the output format on the WASAPI interface only offers a manual selection, I keep it on the lowest one so at 16-bit even my playlist contains 24-bit files.
(That's the reason for which I prefer ASIO, it gives me more confidence ... my ears being incapable of hearing differences between the two outputs.)

Thanks for the explanation on the 1-bit option. Will try the UA-10 with some dsd64 files soon.

Cheers.

Got it. Thanks.

Seems I had the problem because Foobar was set to 24 (or 32) bits output. That's why I kept getting the unplayable pop error each time I tried playing a 16-bit file using wasapi.

I'll also keep mine on asio for now. Not a problem since I have a Wolfson chipped sound card on the way and the UA may become a backup soon.

Sep 29, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #107 of 129
Anyone upgrade to the windows anniversary edition and having problems with the mobile UA?  I upgraded and now it will only play in direct sound mode.  The driver installed but in the events log it says device not migrated.  Then in the information it states the following:

Device USB\VID_0582&PID_0199\MBUAea7032ecaa68e49e4a0a1e8494f0 requires further installation.

I've tried every usb port, different cables and I'm not getting anywhere with this.  I have two other windows 10 computers that work fine but their not running the anniversary edition.

Sep 29, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #108 of 129
  Anyone upgrade to the windows anniversary edition and having problems with the mobile UA?  I upgraded and now it will only play in direct sound mode.  The driver installed but in the events log it says device not migrated.  Then in the information it states the following:

Device USB\VID_0582&PID_0199\MBUAea7032ecaa68e49e4a0a1e8494f0 requires further installation.

I've tried every usb port, different cables and I'm not getting anywhere with this.  I have two other windows 10 computers that work fine but their not running the anniversary edition.

I just have one Windows 10 machine, and as I recall it took a while to get the ASIO driver to work correctly.

I use Foobar 2K which many do.  Looking back at my notes I wrote:   it started working after loading the foobar WASAPI component plugin that a Grace thread suggested.  The WASAPI never worked, but the ASIO started behaving correctly ie registered the proper sample rate as different files were selected.

Maybe WASAPI plugin may be worth a try.

Also, be sure and completely uninstall the driver, and start with a new install.

Sep 29, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #109 of 129
  I just have one Windows 10 machine, and as I recall it took a while to get the ASIO driver to work correctly.

I use Foobar 2K which many do.  Looking back at my notes I wrote:   it started working after loading the foobar WASAPI component plugin that a Grace thread suggested.  The WASAPI never worked, but the ASIO started behaving correctly ie registered the proper sample rate as different files were selected.

Maybe WASAPI plugin may be worth a try.

Also, be sure and completely uninstall the driver, and start with a new install.

I tried to install it several times after completely uninstalling it.  I already have the WASAPI plugin installed.  It worked perfectly before the update to win 10 anniversary.  I'm tempted to update one of my other machines but I don't want to be left with just one that works with the UA if it has the same problem.

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #110 of 129
I'd not try on another machine of yours, maybe the W10 Anniversary has some compatibility issues with the ASIO/WASABI plugins ?
This UA-10 depends very much on these plugins to work properly, especially the ASIO ones.
I can use it on Linux however with some limitations (see my earlier posts), although Linux is capable to virtually drive any DAC on the market.
It runs smoothly on my other W7 Pro machine with both ASIO/WASAPI.
Cheers.

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #111 of 129
Mine work ok both asio and wasapi with JRIVER player on my PC Win 10 Aniver. ver. :D 

update: Sorry :frowning2: It's not auto change the sample rate, I was playing just 1 album last night to test so... :frowning2: 

Sep 30, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #112 of 129
Well I've tried everything I can think of and it still doesn't work properly.  If I don't hear back from Roland this thing is going in the trash.  I have several DAC's and I've never had any problems with them like I have with this thing.  When it works it's great but when it doesn't it's a pain in the ass.

Oct 1, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #113 of 129
  Well I've tried everything I can think of and it still doesn't work properly.  If I don't hear back from Roland this thing is going in the trash.  I have several DAC's and I've never had any problems with them like I have with this thing.  When it works it's great but when it doesn't it's a pain in the ass.

Just a follow-up from a couple days ago.  

I had a chance to actually plug in my Mobile UA into my Windows 10 laptop that had auto updated a week or so ago and my ASIO no longer works correctly.  The only choice that plays is in DS direct sound mode.

Let us know if Roland provides an answer.  Like you say the UA is hardly worth using if it requires constant trouble shooting to keep it updated and working properly....not even worth the sale price.

Oct 1, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #114 of 129
  Just a follow-up from a couple days ago.  

I had a chance to actually plug in my Mobile UA into my Windows 10 laptop that had auto updated a week or so ago and my ASIO no longer works correctly.  The only choice that plays is in DS direct sound mode.

Let us know if Roland provides an answer.  Like you say the UA is hardly worth using if it requires constant trouble shooting to keep it updated and working properly....not even worth the sale price.

Well in my case I figured it out on my own.  On this computer I had to make sure that the UA wasn't the default playback device in the windows sound settings.  In addition, I had to make sure UA sync wasn't the default recording device in the sound settings.  It's strange because one of my other machines auto updated last night and it works fine with the UA set as default.  Hope this helps.  Let me know if it does.

Oct 1, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #115 of 129
  Well in my case I figured it out on my own.  On this computer I had to make sure that the UA wasn't the default playback device in the windows sound settings.  In addition, I had to make sure UA sync wasn't the default recording device in the sound settings.  It's strange because one of my other machines auto updated last night and it works fine with the UA set as default.  Hope this helps.  Let me know if it does.

Wow Great work !  Simply designated Windows Sound Setting Default to the computer sound card, and UA  ASIO started to work normally w/Foobar 2K.

So guess we blame it on Windows rather than Roland.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Oct 1, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #116 of 129
  Wow Great work !  Simply designated Windows Sound Setting Default to the computer sound card, and UA  ASIO started to work normally w/Foobar 2K.

So guess we blame it on Windows rather than Roland.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I just hope no more windows updates anytime soon.  This is the second time it took me a couple days after an update to get this damn thing working again.  

Nov 24, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #117 of 129

The UA doesn't do native DSD.

From the Roland website:
DSD Format Playback Method               DoP version 1.0

Hi, 

I believe there's a misunderstanding here, so please allow me to jump in. AKM designed the AK4414 chip with DSD/S-ACD native decoding in mind, so this chip is natively decoding 1-bit DSD audio! Please check out the datasheet: https://www.akm.com/akm/en/file/datasheet/AK4414EQ.pdf.

DoP is a convenient way to transport the DSD audio signal over the PCM, by incapsulating the DSD audio data into the PCM frames for an easier transfer, so DoP has nothing to do with the decoding part, which is totally NATIVE and it's not done software by the player used. Please have a read here about DoP: http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/support/what-is-dop-dsd-over-pcm/ or http://dsd-guide.com/dop-open-standard.

So UA-M10 does do native DSD playback, like many other DACs out there that are DSD compatible. I own an ASUS Essence One MUSES MKii that is also a native DSD DAC that is using DoP to transfer DSD data. Also, $35K VIVALDI DAC is using DoP to transfer the DSD data: http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/products/vivaldi-dac/specification, so let's not worry about UA-M10 because it's using DoP. :)

Thank you!

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #120 of 129
Anyone able to get this working with the new Tidal Master tracks?  Every time I try and play one Tidal errors out saying change the system sound settings to 16/44.  It's already set to that and I've tried everything I can think of and can't get it to play.  Tidal unfolds the MQA track to 24/96 PCM which the Roland should have no problem with so I'm at a loss here.

I have the same problem with the CEntrance DacPort HD.  My Emotiva DC-1, Schiit Fulla 2 and Chord mojo all work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back