1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

274B TUBES

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by gknix, Sep 2, 2010.
Next

Last
  1. gknix
    I was looking at other options of 274B tubes for the WA6/WA6SE. I was looking for some advice here from people who have had some experience. I got my WA6SE not long ago.! Comparisons would be greatly appreciated if possible.

274B tubes I was looking in to:

Sophia Princess 274B (I have this one)
    EML 274B
    Jadis 274B
    Shuguang 274B
    Full Music Audio 274B

Thanks a lot!

2. musicman59
    From that list I have first hand experience with the Sophia and the EML. IMO the EML is better than the Sophia and either one is better than the rest.

I received a pair of Sophia form Jack by mistake with my WA5-LE so I used them until he sent me the EML. They are close but the EML I think is sweeter and cleaner.

3. dannie01
    Why not the EML 5U4G? I've compare the Sophia 274B and EML 5U4G and I love the sounds from the EML more and agree with musicman, besides sweeter and cleaner, I found it sounds with more solid bass and wider soundstage.

4. Csericks
    I would imagine that the performance is not up to the level of the Sophia or the EML but @ $13 the Valve Art is pretty good.

5. gknix

Quote:

Just wondering, how would you know that either one would be better than the best if they're not too known ?

6. sillysally
    I don't think anybody here is talking about a EML 274B mesh plate. And also don't forget there is a nos EML 274B solid plate.

The EML 274B mesh plate imo has the most bass and biggest sound-stage of any of the other tubes that are being talked about here. I have own many and used them in my WA6SE. However here is where the tricky part comes into play, first with what power/drive tubes you match this tube with plus your headphones, then your source player. For instance using a RCA (60's) chrome top tipped 6EW7 will work well with the EML 274B solid plate and the Princess 274B mesh but not as well with the EML 274B mesh plate.
    The EML 274B mesh is imo good with a 701/702 or similar headphone, as were the EML 274B solid plate or Princess 274B mesh are better for something like the HD-650's.
    That said I would give the EML 5U4G mesh plate the first place, but don't forget its more expensive than the Princess 274B mesh and not a day and night difference.

7. musicman59
    Sorry for the confusion when I was talking about the EML I was talking about the 5U4G Mesh no tthe 274B Mesh. The 5U4G Mesh is what I have in my WA5-LE with a pair of EML 300B Mesh and a pair of Tungsol BG/RP 6F8G.

8. dannie01

Quote:

musicman, would you share how would you like this combo with your EWA5LE, I'm now wondering to get a pair of EAT 300B to replace the Sophia.

9. musicman59
    Wow! the EAT 300B are very expensive....
    I have tried the EML 300B/5U4G combo with TS BG/RP 6SN7GT, Treasure CV181Z and TS BG/RP 6F8G in my amplfiier and with all my different headphones. Since I am coming from years in the Solid State world and specifically Class A I am used to fast, tight but deep bass and very controlled sound. Out of the 3 combinations with the EML tues I liked the most the one with the TS BG/RP 6F8G becuase it gave me the biggest soundstage, best definition of sound, best bass and kept the sweetnes of the midrange. For the type of music I listen the most (Pop and Classic Rock) IMO was the best combination.

I have other tubes on my way to roll but so far this combination really sounds good to me. My headphones collection never sounded so good including using my Rudistor RP010B.

I have also tried other 5U4G tubes. I bought a pair of new Electro Harmonix while I was waiting for the EML. The EH are crap. The sound got really harsh and with no body. I got a pair of NOS RCA and Tungsol. The RCA have a good balanced sound but not as goos as the EML. The Tungsol have a lot of bass but becuase of that the sound is not a crisp and clean.

IMO if you are going to invest that much money in the EAT 300B you should go with the best rectifiers you can afford. If I was in your position  would go with the EML and the Sophia as second choice.

10. dannie01
    Thanks for the detail response, musicman. Actually I have just received a pair of EML 5U4G mesh plate for the WA5LE and it sound way better than the stock Russian tubes when newly installed. Seem will go better with longer run-in. Yeah, the EAT is pricey but from what I've read that should be a very good sounding 300B from present maunfacture than the Sophia and EML.

11. jc9394

Quote:

Wow!!!  EAT 300B, am I getting you in trouble?  Maybe I'm just trying to spend your hard earn money.

12. dannie01

Quote:

Thanks my friend, you definitely are. [​IMG]

13. jc9394

Quote:

Does new "new expensive light bulb" work in your house? 

14. dannie01

Quote:

Not any EAT in the meanwhile, just working out for funding. The WA5LE is now running with TS 6SN7GT, Sophia 300B and EML 5U4G.

15. musicman59

Quote:

You should get a pair of 6SN7/6F8G adapters (you can find them in ebay for about $50 pair) and buy a pair of TS BG/RP 6F8G. They are like 20%-25% the cost of the TS BG/RP 6SN7GT. For that price is worth the experiment. In my case it was a total winner.

If you like I can take pictures of mine in my amp and post them here.

Next

Last