2500 or K701's.. and I thought I had made up my mind..
Mar 9, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the AKGs don't have a house sound because they are neutral and uncolored.

This is true . . . . .

they are white
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But it sounds like you should just try the Ultrasones to see if you become one of the many Ultrasone converts here. I know if you'll be one if you jump in that ever growing Utrasone thread
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I'm going for the 2500's. My mind's made up! I think..
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered the Sennheiser HD25-1? It's intended for mixing, but has turned out to be a fantastic portable can (and incredibly mod-able). I know you don't necessarily want it for home applications (I won't begin to tell you how wrong it is to put the 25 in league with the 701 or 650), but for the amount of mixing you plan to do, these will probably satisfy while leaving a little extra in the bank to get you closer to the next purchase.

Then again, when you consider the 2500 will probably do mixing AND listening better...

Haven't heard 'em, though I've heard good things about 'em. But yeah, like you said, the 2500's are prolly a better choice. =)

Mar 9, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't heard 'em, though I've heard good things about 'em. But yeah, like you said, the 2500's are prolly a better choice. =)

Yessss.... Join usssss.....

Come plaaaay with ussss......
evil_smiley.gif

(ok, if you haven't seen "The Shining", it's your fault!
biggrin.gif
)

Mar 9, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yessss.... Join usssss.....

Come plaaaay with ussss......
evil_smiley.gif

(ok, if you haven't seen "The Shining", it's your fault!
biggrin.gif
)

Have I seen The Shining..? Does the pope have a funny hat?
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

I was 100% sure about the 2500's being my next purchase, but then the "650 or K701 for first open can"-thread came along and raised a bit of doubt + I read this about the 2500's in another thread;

"I literally almost laughed out loud because these cans suck the sustain off of everything I played. The notes all started like they should, but ended abruptly. It's like when a drummer hits a cymbal and rather than letting it ring and allowing tone to change as it slowly fades away, he strikes the cymbal and grabs it soon afterwards. The difference is that drastic."

Is that really an accurate description..? Doesn't sound too promising.. :/

I will mainly use the cans for mixing (but also for just enjoying music, of course. 70% mixing, 30% enjoying music) so I wan't detailed & accurate over smooth & lush (which I kinda feel my 650's are).
I've read many who think the K701's sound thin & are lacking bass extension.. and though I'm not a bass head, I need to know how much bass I'm putting in my mixes.

I'm gonna do the purchase this coming week, so lets hear your arguments. =)

Aside from being white, which I love, I do not find absolutelly anything on the 701 that grabs me, neither the 650 that are not even white...
icon10.gif
...So do not trust me blindly, but IMO the PROLines are my can of choise among those three, the argument and that post is not accurate at all, and you should take it as a grain of salt and try to listen them...we have three huge threads about the Ultrasone Prolines and Editions, with tons of info and even a couple of reviews, do a search and you will find all your answers there...

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aside from being white, which I love, I do not find absolutelly anything on the 701 that grabs me, neither the 650 that are not even white...
icon10.gif
...So do not trust me blindly, but IMO the PROLines are my can of choise among those three, the argument and that post is not accurate at all, and you should take it as a grain of salt and try to listen them...we have three huge threads about the Ultrasone Prolines and Editions, with tons of info and even a couple of reviews, do a search and you will find all your answers there...

what he said about the comment on the cymbals. that is not how they sound to me. for the $$ the 2500 can't be beat by the 701 or 650 IMO.

My amp might be a lot better than any I have ever heard for rock(Sq-84, it uses 6x6 tubes) and I am listening to AC/DC Back in Black album which has TONS of cymbals and they shine just fine to me thanks.

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Yeah, but I'm still a bit afraid of that qoute.. :/ Anyone else who feel the same way about the 2500's..? Sounds kinda extreme for a can to have that much influence on the sound, almost more like a defect.

It's one persons opinion.. The majority feel the opposite.. The 701's are excellent.. The bass does seem lean, but I just feel they are accurrate.. Guess I'm more of a bass head.. I still appreciate the 701's.. & feel they are better then my 650's/SA5000.. Although I prefer the 650's for the majority of my music.. Although watching movies is another story..

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Yeah, but I'm still a bit afraid of that qoute.. :/ Anyone else who feel the same way about the 2500's..? Sounds kinda extreme for a can to have that much influence on the sound, almost more like a defect.

Do not be afraid because of that quote.

I listened briefly to two of my all-time favorite CD's when I initially listened to the 2500's (Steps by Pat Coil and Daydream by Carmen Cuesta-Loeb) and on the Pat Coil CD, the 2500's sounded really weird in their presentation of the music. Pretty much what I said.

However, now, on most other CD's, with the exception of Pat Coil, the 2500's are starting to sound really nice. I'm hearing things that I've never noticed before. The P. Coil CD still sounds like I'm listening in anechoic chamber. So I'm guessing that it's CD dependent. I've got about 100 hours burn-in on them now and just downloaded some pink noise for an additional couple of hundred hours, I guess.

I think the 2500's would be great for both mixing and general listening. I really feel that I'm warming to the Ultrasone sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back