2500 or K701's.. and I thought I had made up my mind..
Mar 9, 2007 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

wovenhand

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Posts
1,091
Likes
11
I was 100% sure about the 2500's being my next purchase, but then the "650 or K701 for first open can"-thread came along and raised a bit of doubt + I read this about the 2500's in another thread;

"I literally almost laughed out loud because these cans suck the sustain off of everything I played. The notes all started like they should, but ended abruptly. It's like when a drummer hits a cymbal and rather than letting it ring and allowing tone to change as it slowly fades away, he strikes the cymbal and grabs it soon afterwards. The difference is that drastic."

Is that really an accurate description..? Doesn't sound too promising.. :/

I will mainly use the cans for mixing (but also for just enjoying music, of course. 70% mixing, 30% enjoying music) so I wan't detailed & accurate over smooth & lush (which I kinda feel my 650's are).
I've read many who think the K701's sound thin & are lacking bass extension.. and though I'm not a bass head, I need to know how much bass I'm putting in my mixes.

I'm gonna do the purchase this coming week, so lets hear your arguments. =)
 
Mar 9, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 25

jay spec

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 24, 2007
Posts
112
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was 100% sure about the 2500's being my next purchase, but then the "650 or K701 for first open can"-thread came along and raised a bit of doubt + I read this about the 2500's in another thread;

"I literally almost laughed out loud because these cans suck the sustain off of everything I played. The notes all started like they should, but ended abruptly. It's like when a drummer hits a cymbal and rather than letting it ring and allowing tone to change as it slowly fades away, he strikes the cymbal and grabs it soon afterwards. The difference is that drastic."

Is that really an accurate description..? Doesn't sound too promising.. :/

I will mainly use the cans for mixing (but also for just enjoying music, of course. 70% mixing, 30% enjoying music) so I wan't detailed & accurate over smooth & lush (which I kinda feel my 650's are).
I've read many who think the K701's sound thin & are lacking bass extension.. and though I'm not a bass head, I need to know how much bass I'm putting in my mixes.

I'm gonna do the purchase this coming week, so lets hear your arguments. =)



despite my preference for the hd650's...i think the k701's would be a very good choice for your application/preference.
 
Mar 9, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 25

wovenhand

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Posts
1,091
Likes
11
Okay.
I feel I must add though, that -to this date- I haven't heard an AKG headphone which I liked.. I've heard those "standard studio ones" (which I can't remember the model name of) + the model above it. They all sounded extremely thin, flat & with absolutely no bass at all.
I know the K701's are several notches above those, but still, is that a sound signature all AKG headphones share..?
Sennheiser for example, even their cheap cans sound pretty decent.
 
Mar 9, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 25

MaZa

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 7, 2006
Posts
6,162
Likes
14
Well Ultrasones are somewhat used in studio enviroments, so they defend their place as heavyduty mixing cans.
 
Mar 9, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 25

wovenhand

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Posts
1,091
Likes
11
Yeah, but I'm still a bit afraid of that qoute.. :/ Anyone else who feel the same way about the 2500's..? Sounds kinda extreme for a can to have that much influence on the sound, almost more like a defect.
 
Mar 9, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 25

wovenhand

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Posts
1,091
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the AKGs don't have a house sound because they are neutral and uncolored.


I've been warned about you, mister! ;D
 
Mar 9, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #9 of 25

MaZa

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 7, 2006
Posts
6,162
Likes
14
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, but I'm still a bit afraid of that qoute.. :/ Anyone else who feel the same way about the 2500's..? Sounds kinda extreme for a can to have that much influence on the sound, almost more like a defect.



Its possible that due to their unorthodox driver placement, it simply does not fit to all ears, so the sound gets "miss-fired". Also placement on head has huge effect on sound. And is cable properly inserted? Plus IIRC that was unburned-in pair. Or perhaps defective? Or simply just his taste, who knows. But from what I have heard and readed of those cans, they definetly shouldnt sound like that, but brutally put the sound out how its recorded, detail-vise. Tonal accurateness might be different story, but not in details.
confused.gif
 
Mar 9, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #10 of 25

MaZa

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 7, 2006
Posts
6,162
Likes
14
I searched that thread again, and here are more up-to-date impressions from him:

Quote:

Hey Terry,

Yeah, to me, these sounded really weird out the box. I'm sure coming into it with somewhat of an expectation (been following the huge thread) also didn't help matters much.

Having said that, I've snuck a listen as they're burning in and they sound better already. Either they're responding to the burn-in process quickly or, more likely, I've started to adjust to their sound signature. I figure in about a week or so I'll listen again...this time with hopefully no expectations on my part. Regardless of how strange and uninvolving they sounded to me on first listen, I think I'll end up like these a lot.

Mamoru


 
Mar 9, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #11 of 25

Davesrose

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 20, 2006
Posts
4,767
Likes
136
If you didn't like AKG's studio monitors, then I don't think you'll like the k701 either. I haven't heard Ultrasones so I can't comment. The way they're touted here, maybe they are the ones to try. But if these cans are primarily for mixing, seems to me you want something that doesn't have a forced soundstage and be relatively neutral (though you say you want bass). Do you have experience with the closed studio monitors that are the usual favs for mixing (ie Sony V6, Sennheiser HD280, Beyer DT250)? I think of those 3, the Beyers are supposed to have the most bass (haven't heard them myself....but do know that the V6s are pretty good for mixing).
 
Mar 9, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #12 of 25

wovenhand

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Posts
1,091
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I searched that thread again, and here are more up-to-date impressions from him:


Oops, I jumped the gun a bit there. ^^
 
Mar 9, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #13 of 25

wovenhand

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Posts
1,091
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you didn't like AKG's studio monitors, then I don't think you'll like the k701 either. I haven't heard Ultrasones so I can't comment. The way they're touted here, maybe they are the ones to try. But if these cans are primarily for mixing, seems to me you want something that doesn't have a forced soundstage and be relatively neutral (though you say you want bass). Do you have experience with the closed studio monitors that are the usual favs for mixing (ie Sony V6, Sennheiser HD280, Beyer DT250)? I think of those 3, the Beyers are supposed to have the most bass (haven't heard them myself....but do know that the V6s are pretty good for mixing).


Yeah, well, if there's bass present, I want the headphones to present it.. that's what I meant with "I want bass".
I own the HD280's, but I feel they exaggerate mids, so your mixes don't sound that happening when checking on proper monitors (Genelecs & Mackie's).
But from reading the quote from MaZa I think I'll go with the 2500's first and then get the K701 when the budget allows. I'm still curious about 'em ^^
 
Mar 9, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #14 of 25

Davesrose

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 20, 2006
Posts
4,767
Likes
136
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, well, if there's bass present, I want the headphones to present it.. that's what I meant with "I want bass".
I own the HD280's, but I feel they exaggerate mids, so your mixes don't sound that happening when checking on proper monitors (Genelecs & Mackie's).
But from reading the quote from MaZa I think I'll go with the 2500's first and then get the K701 when the budget allows. I'm still curious about 'em ^^



Yeah...exagerated mids are the problem with most studio monitors....I think the V6 has better bass then the 280s (at least unmodded....there's some threads about blue-tacking the 280s to get a lot of bass). I guess trying the 280 mod might be something too. Don't know anything about the Beyers, except I think they're supposed to have more bass.

But it sounds like you should just try the Ultrasones to see if you become one of the many Ultrasone converts here. I know if you'll be one if you jump in that ever growing Utrasone thread
biggrin.gif


For me personally, I'm not into the AKG presentation. Senns seem to have a better tonality for what kind of soundstage they're conveying. Because neither are straight analytical, I wouldn't think that k701 or HD650s would be very good for mixing though. Though I have heard that studios recording classical music use the HD600/650s for symphonies.
 
Mar 9, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #15 of 25

GlendaleViper

Yep, words.
Joined
Feb 10, 2006
Posts
5,287
Likes
12
Have you considered the Sennheiser HD25-1? It's intended for mixing, but has turned out to be a fantastic portable can (and incredibly mod-able). I know you don't necessarily want it for home applications (I won't begin to tell you how wrong it is to put the 25 in league with the 701 or 650), but for the amount of mixing you plan to do, these will probably satisfy while leaving a little extra in the bank to get you closer to the next purchase.

Then again, when you consider the 2500 will probably do mixing AND listening better...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top