$250 What to buy ?
Mar 10, 2006 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

mr56k

500+ Head-Fier
So I sold some stuff on Ebay and have $250 to play with
orphsmile.gif

I currently have both Grado sr60's and Sennheiser HD515's for my inventory. Wondering if I should get something to benefit those guys or maybe getting a new set of cans or maybe even 2. I really like the sennheiser sound over the Grado sound even though after about 2 weeks the Grado's finally came outta there shell and quite sound nice. Wondering what would be some good stuff to get. Any recommendations would be helpful.

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 21
a small headphone amp?

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr56k
So I sold some stuff on Ebay and have $250 to play with
orphsmile.gif

I currently have both Grado sr60's and Sennheiser HD515's for my inventory. Wondering if I should get something to benefit those guys or maybe getting a new set of cans or maybe even 2. I really like the sennheiser sound over the Grado sound even though after about 2 weeks the Grado's finally came outta there shell and quite sound nice. Wondering what would be some good stuff to get. Any recommendations would be helpful.

Run as far away from the FS thread...jk!

Have you considered buying an amp? You may want to look into getting a used MF XCanV3, Creek-OBH-11SE (very solid amp, with 2 Headphone outs; 1 for high and the other for low impedence cans). This could strike a nice balance for you seeing that you have Grados and Senns. It's built like a tank as well and has an RCA loop for easier integration into your system(s). If you're looking for something portable, the PA2V2 is an excellent value. Rockhopper audio also has a Millet Hybrid that could be a good fit coming in just under $250

As far as interconnects go, check out signalcable.com and look at the Analog II's. As far as terminating goes, I recommend the Eichmann terminations. These are incredible cables at ANY price. His power cords are also awesome, but can be difficult to manipulate as the jacket over the cable doesn't give too much. Frank is very helpful and can answer any questions you may have about his cables and more.

Good luck.

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 21
So I guess the question is ,, Would a small amp make my current cans sound noticebly better?

I no I could always put the money away for a rainy day but if I buy some audio related stuff I can listen to music on the rainy day right? lol

Dang Head-Fi, this is an addiction.

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 21
Also whats the big difference between these portable amps I see everywhere? I noticed this one is on sale http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHHA400 Was $30 down to $19. Would this work ok? Dont wanna spend like 150-200 on just a amp. I do like the idea of multiple outputs as I could connect both of my headphones at the same time which would be nice. I was thinking of snagging that and maybe some phones with just enough money left so i can get some hooks/hangers for my wall. This way I will have a place to hang my headphones.

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #8 of 21
Beyers! I love mine!

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Also whats the big difference between these portable amps I see everywhere? I noticed this one is on sale http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHHA400 Was $30 down to $19. Would this work ok?

Probably, but I doubt it would sound any better than a Cmoy (and quite possibly worse). I bought a Rolls HA-43 (another 'studio' headphone amp) and it was bright, thin and tinny sounding.

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #10 of 21
Maybe sell the HD515, and upgrade to the HD580. Then you'd still be able to add an amp.

I picked up a used Rega Ear amp for <$150 here, and it was a great addition to my HD580. I still have the SR-60s, but they may be shown the door as the amped HD580 is significantly better.

Mar 10, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #12 of 21
Mac Mini running out to bose speakers which headphones plug in to.

Mar 10, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Mac Mini running out to bose speakers which headphones plug in to.

YIKES! an amp should be your next upgrade then for sure!

Mar 10, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #14 of 21
You could get that Zhaolu DAC/amp that everyone is freaking over for less than $250.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back