~$250 amp for Beyer 880?
May 22, 2004 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Solude

Headphoneus Supremus
I think its time I returned to headphone listening after an extended break and was wondering what ~$250 amp best suited the Beyer 880. Pretty much limits my cholices to Gilmore Lite, Rega Ear, PiMeta, Creek OBH-21, XCan v2... probably more but those are the ones I can think of.

So which of these amps has the most synergy with the 880. I definitely prefer a warm, dynamic, effortless sound. Strain really drives me nuts, and the mid range better be dead on, bass or treble rolloff I can live with but the mid range better be butter smooth and crystal clear. Thanks.

May 22, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 10
After reading some positive impressions with Corda amps and DT880 I went on to get the HA-1 mkII to go with DT880 and it's been a really good combination. Tuberoller was really spot on about the bass, it's really tight and well-defined (read more of his funny way to describe it in the amp forum). The slightly warm sound from the HA-1 really matches well with the slightly bright presentation of the DT880. There is a HA-1 mkII in the sale forum for $300 which is a really good deal.

May 23, 2004 at 6:10 AM Post #3 of 10
Out of your list, I have heard the PIMETA and the gilmore. Out of those two amps, the gilmore is the better one, yet it doesnt have that great of synergy with the DT880's. Some people like it a lot, but im not a big fan. The DT880's are hard cans to drive and in order to get good sound, you would have bump up that budget of yours. Nevertheless, this is IMO, you may love the sound of the beyers with the gilmore. The best advice I can give you (and applies to just about everything in audio) is to audition whatever you can. I find it hard to trust people's opinions now.

Regards,
Dan

May 23, 2004 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 10
Agree about budget but with new house in June and it being race season for 1/4 mile racing... the $450+ amps are too much. When I last had the Beyer I just used the MAudio REvo jack with good results. Previous to that I had a Meta42 Maxed but found the Revo just as good, but quite a bit less volume. I'll probably get the Rega just to try it out, so little people here have for some reason.

May 23, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 10
Gilmore Lite of course. What else?
confused.gif

May 23, 2004 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT
confused.gif

Ahh...young grasshopper, you have much to learn.
tongue.gif

The gilmore is an awesome amp, but it doesn't have great synergy with everything. Though, with such headphones as grados, it does excell. I think my biggest criticism is its lack of body. Until you compare it to tube amps, you don't know what you're missing. Body is something that the DT880's need to sound full and well driven, which I feel the gilmore won't fulfill.

May I recommed that you not be so closed minded and realize that the gilmore design is not only good one out there.

Regards,
Dan

May 23, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan the audioman
May I recommed that you not be so closed minded and realize that the gilmore design is not only good one out there.

In that price range?
confused.gif

May 23, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

confused.gif

I heard the Beyer 880 with the Corda HA 1 today and the Gilmore Lite was not match for the HA 1 IMHO.
I fully agree with Dan the Audioman that the Gilmore Lite lacks body (midrange and lower midrange).
Andrew_WOT, otoh, is right about the price difference. No amp in that price range can match the Gilmore Lite. 300$ for the HA 1 would be a steal.

I have the Beyer 880 (which I like more than any other headphone up to 400$) and the Gilmore Lite just isn't the right match for them. The Beyer 880 don't have a very rich midrange so you need something to boost the midrange a little bit and maybe the bass as well.

May 23, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
300$ for the HA 1 would be a steal.

More like $440 for the new one.
frown.gif
http://home.t-online.de/home/meier-audio/
Quote:

I have the Beyer 880 (which I like more than any other headphone up to 400$) and the Gilmore Lite just isn't the right match for them. The Beyer 880 don't have a very rich midrange so you need something to boost the midrange a little bit and maybe the bass as well.

Yep, Gilmores do not add any coloration to the sound.

May 23, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

More like $440 for the new one.
frown.gif
http://home.t-online.de/home/meier-audio/

Yep, Gilmores do not add any coloration to the sound.

Hi Andrew_WOT, I was referring to the HA1 in the for sale forum and for 300$ it's really a good deal.

About the coloration: I don't think the HA1 added any coloration, sure the general sound was a tad softer but no colorations. I think I didn't express myself correctly. I should have rather said that in my opinion the Gilmore Lite doesn't amplify the midrage sufficiently - that's what I wanted to say
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back