$25 Eggo's (Mod)
May 28, 2005 at 2:29 PM Post #16 of 22
Yeah, he really needs someone to redesign it for him.
tongue.gif

I have met the guy that runs the site, and he is very easy to deal with which is why I recommend him.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 28, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by xluben
I think I remember hearing of someone else putting them inside some other Sony (which were closed), with bad results.

The key may be finding a fairly 'open' enclosure for the Koss drivers. Putting them inside closed headphones just won't work.

I stole this from a post of mine a couple of days ago
:
(The CD350's I used also have a large, hollow space and have eleven 5mm holes ventilating the outer cup that allow quite a bit of leakage).

I just put a pair of KSC-35 drivers into my old Sony MDR-cd350's, which are similar in size and shape to the Eggo’s. I spent a great deal of time placing them precisely and insuring the drivers were positioned optimally. Despite trying everything I could think of to improve the sound, they are a terrible match (though better than the original cd350 drivers).
The only thing of interest was when I stuffed “pulled” cotton fiber into the cups. The sound was still awful, but the bass was mind-blowing. In fact, the bass was about as good as I’ve heard. I put on a great live bass solo by Victor Wooten and was blown away. So now I have a pair of bass-only cans, though other than that they are one step away from the dumpster.

May 28, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by JB.

I stole this from a post of mine a couple of days ago
:
(The CD350's I used also have a large, hollow space and have eleven 5mm holes ventilating the outer cup that allow quite a bit of leakage).

I just put a pair of KSC-35 drivers into my old Sony MDR-cd350's, which are similar in size and shape to the Eggo’s. I spent a great deal of time placing them precisely and insuring the drivers were positioned optimally. Despite trying everything I could think of to improve the sound, they are a terrible match (though better than the original cd350 drivers).
The only thing of interest was when I stuffed “pulled” cotton fiber into the cups. The sound was still awful, but the bass was mind-blowing. In fact, the bass was about as good as I’ve heard. I put on a great live bass solo by Victor Wooten and was blown away. So now I have a pair of bass-only cans, though other than that they are one step away from the dumpster.

Yeah I was pretty under-whelmed by my KSC75/UR40 drivers mounted in my V6. Mids are exagerated and it overwhelms the bass.

I also took some V6 drivers and mounted them in a maxell HP2000. Which has a much larger earcup enclosure than the V6. I added a little pillow stuffing in the enclosure and Clearly the V6 upper midrange exageration is a result of the V6 earcup. The V6 driver in the HP 2000 can is much smoother.

Which leads me to believe the V6 earcup is undersized, and causes harsh resonances around 2000-4000Hz

Garrett

May 28, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #19 of 22
Despite my initial failure, I plan to keep trying to put a frankencan together with KSC35 drivers. Thanks for the input kramer, helps to hear other's experiences to avoid unnecessary costs.
I'm looking into some vintage cans for the project. I got a pair of old Nova 40's for a few bucks. They're very well-built and comfortable. If they don't work out I'm going to try to find a pair of Audio Reflex cans. The ear cups look very promising.

May 28, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #20 of 22
Do you have any pics of the mod? I have a pair of ksc75 here, and I don't really like the clip on design, so I am tempted to try this, since I have also been lusting after the eggos.

May 30, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #22 of 22
I just finished re-doing the mod. I sanded of the 'ring' (for seating the stock drivers) inside the Eggphone's earcups using something similar to this (and a cordless drill):

34_2.JPG

I removed the black plastic piece in front of the Koss driver exposing the silver, foil-like diaphram cover:

kossdriver2xj.jpg

I mounted this back inside the Eggphones earcups; now there is just one layer of plastic between the driver and my ear (the plastic from the Eggphones). I could not find any suitable glue, so I used three small pieces of electrical tape (on each driver). I made sure the tape did not cover any of the opening on the back of the Koss driver.

After putting them all back together I find that the change in sound is minimal, if any. I think sound pretty good either way.

If it easy for you to sand off the ring (for seating the stock drivers in the Eggphones earcups) I would recommend it to get a better fit and glueing the Koss drivers in would provide for a more complete, 'professional' mod. If you don't, I still think they sound about as good just popping the stock drivers out and taping in the Koss drivers, making this mod cheap ($25), easy (only tools needed are screwdriver, knife, tape) and quick (easily less than 30 minutes), with fairly good results (as long as you like the Eggos fit and the Koss sound).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back