24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!
Sep 6, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #6,466 of 7,175
Are Oppo still making any of their players or are they all from the used, or old new stock marketplace?
Oppo stopped making players, so if you're looking for a good price, you can find them used. Pioneer Elite series has comparible specs for audiophile/videophile features that Oppo did (Oppo's uhd blu-ray player is still sought after in the used market).
A standard DVD player can't access the lossless DVD-A tracks, only the compressed standard ones.
Well my Oppo DVD player says it does support DVD-A. It was made for audiophiles in mind (and also upscaling video to HDMI).

Sep 6, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #6,467 of 7,175
Way to expensive for me. I have zero interest in collecting movies and the few people I know who have gone down that rabbit hole have eventually regretted how much room they took and how much money went into the collection. I see people liquidating their once prized collections at yard sales for pennies on the dollar so it keeps my desire to collect movies down to zero.

This isn't directed at you 71 dB. I think that some people amass these big movie collections and build a theatre believing that friends and family want to come over and spend their time in a room watching a movie, probably played too loud and with the host pausing to alert them to this great effect coming up that they just have to see and hear, or asking what they think of the video and sound quality. The guests politely agree and on their drive home talk about how into the gear the host was and that next time they should suggest maybe a quieter evening where people actually talk.

For me, the very last thing I would ever want to do when I am in a social setting that isn't a movie theatre, is watch a movie. I can watch television and movies anytime and when I do get together with friends I prefer talking or playing cards, movie watching is not very social and it makes people quiet and sleepy. Again, these are just my opinions, nothing more, nothing less. An exception of course is being at home with your partner. Once you're no longer in that lusty phase what better way to kill off the time than staring at a screen until bed?
I didn't mean so say everyone needs to collect movies. Each to their own. My point was that if someone collects movies on physical format, there are ways to keep the average price much lower. Personally I don't like paying for streaming services (too little control of the content), but I enjoy collecting physical media (both movies and music). I am very introverted and I always watch movies alone. I have my own weird movie taste.

Sep 6, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #6,468 of 7,175
I have a DAC that is perfectly audibly transparent, Gustard X16 and I am now thinking about getting some kind of digital transport (DVD or Blu-ray) that can output the digital stream unadulterated which I could then pass through my DAC. Sadly I know nothing about such devices as I went right from CD transports to ripping my collection for computer based audio. Any suggestions for a DVD or Blu-ray player that I might consider? Almost exclusively for audio, not sure if I would ever use it for video, but probably a little.
I think any Blu-ray or DVD player with S/PDIF should work equally well.

I’ve been using a cheap-o Sony BDP-S370 hooked up to whatever DAC I happen to have on hand, and I think it sounds fabulous. My very unscientific way of testing was to plug other transports into the DAC’s other inputs (e.g., a Mac Mini into the USB port) and try to detect a difference. I couldn’t.
I was also recently surprised to realize that the RCA output also sounds pretty good, though my method of “testing” was even less scientifically rigorous than previous tests. Plug, unplug, repeat.
My only recommendation based on my experience would be to look for a player with fast load times and something that either runs cool or else is fanless. Some CDs can take a minute or so to load on my player, and the fan comes on after an hour or so of playback*.

*Now that I’m thinking about it, the fan may have been coming on because the player was in a drawer with other equipment that may have been making it warmer than normal.

Sep 6, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #6,469 of 7,175
Try and find a wide range of classic movies on streaming services… Physical media is just about the only option for cinephiles.

I’d rather spend money on books, music and movies than over priced audiophile stereo equipment, that's for sure!

When I put a screening room in my house, I learned the difference between a home theater and a TV set. Most people have TV sets in their family room and it's on a lot of the time, even when just one person is watching it. It becomes background noise. With a theater, especially projection, the lights go down and you watch a single movie or program. You don't binge watch or background with a theater. It's a different way of viewing movies than TV. When I have friends over, we have dinner and chat and have a glass of wine and enjoy each other's company. Then we go to the theater, watch a movie for 90 minutes, then after it's over, relax and chat about the movie. It's a nice way to spend an evening. I do that every weekend.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #6,470 of 7,175
Try and find a wide range of classic movies on streaming services… Physical media is just about the only option for cinephiles.

I’d rather spend money on books, music and movies than over priced audiophile stereo equipment, that's for sure!

When I put a screening room in my house, I learned the difference between a home theater and a TV set. Most people have TV sets in their family room and it's on a lot of the time, even when just one person is watching it. It becomes background noise. With a theater, especially projection, the lights go down and you watch a single movie or program. You don't binge watch or background with a theater. It's a different way of viewing movies than TV. When I have friends over, we have dinner and chat and have a glass of wine and enjoy each other's company. Then we go to the theater, watch a movie for 90 minutes, then after it's over, relax and chat about the movie. It's a nice way to spend an evening. I do that every weekend.
That actually sounds like a very nice way to go about it, and I do also get the distinction that you are drawing between a TV based setup and a projection. I can see that making a significant difference. I also like that you include the social component after of discussing, far more grown up sounding than sadly the majority of people I have met that have invested in their home theatre. They become obsessed with it and they seem to want everybody who ever enters their home for a social gathering to want to make their big loud cinema setup the centre of everything, and then talk about the minutia of formats and processing until your ready to either fall asleep or start cutting yourself.

Seriously, I know I am exaggerating for effect, but not by much. To all people remember, whatever your obsession with your rig just don't be that guy that can't stop talking about it. No matter how amazing it is, the VAST majority of people will really not care a great deal, some would rather watch grass grow than listen to you explain your system and a very small minority will actually care. It pained me to realize that absolutely nobody in my social circle gave a rats ass about audio reproduction. They couldn't care less if the music at a party comes from a laptop's built in speaker, screaming with distortion or a tricked out 2.2 system that digs deep and is glorious to hear and behold. So sad. I would love to make a friend who is into audio. My brother is, but only to talk about it, and even then only briefly, never to sit down and listen. He would rather talk about stuff in the Manosphere (groan).

Sep 6, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #6,471 of 7,175
That actually sounds like a very nice way to go about it, and I do also get the distinction that you are drawing between a TV based setup and a projection. I can see that making a significant difference. I also like that you include the social component after of discussing, far more grown up sounding than sadly the majority of people I have met that have invested in their home theatre. They become obsessed with it and they seem to want everybody who ever enters their home for a social gathering to want to make their big loud cinema setup the centre of everything, and then talk about the minutia of formats and processing until your ready to either fall asleep or start cutting yourself.

Seriously, I know I am exaggerating for effect, but not by much. To all people remember, whatever your obsession with your rig just don't be that guy that can't stop talking about it. No matter how amazing it is, the VAST majority of people will really not care a great deal, some would rather watch grass grow than listen to you explain your system and a very small minority will actually care. It pained me to realize that absolutely nobody in my social circle gave a rats ass about audio reproduction. They couldn't care less if the music at a party comes from a laptop's built in speaker, screaming with distortion or a tricked out 2.2 system that digs deep and is glorious to hear and behold. So sad. I would love to make a friend who is into audio. My brother is, but only to talk about it, and even then only briefly, never to sit down and listen. He would rather talk about stuff in the Manosphere (groan).
I'm more of that obsessed guy about technology, but I won't "nerd out" unless that person is asking about 4K, visual effects, or something cinematography related (some of the items I'm pretty knowledgable about). I haven't considered a projection system, but have an OLED TV for superior picture quality and is more conducive for my townhouse. It takes up a good viewing angle when I and a friend are watching in my two recliners watching a movie (and my Atmos speaker setup is calibrated to the seating area of my recliners). If entertaining for a party, I've got a couch and other chairs that people will sit and I can have music playing through my speakers. For someone first viewing on my setup, they may praise the image quality or ask me about my speaker setup. As to why I spent some time considering gear, I see it as a means for getting the best experience out of a movie: but I appreciate the inherit merits of the movie first. With 4K, we're now at a threshold where older movies are being restored in a picture and sound format that can surpass the original screening (where with film projection, there were limits with the film negative and also the print getting dust and scratches).

For movie collecting, if you're collecting a range of movies then you might have to be format agnostic. I do like that some classics are making it to 4K (as that does support the best resolving power 35mm film can approach). However, some older movies made it to DVD and went out of print: also some with blu-ray. Now you also have independent studios that can more easily distribute movies via streaming. My dad amassed a huge collection of DVDs and blu-rays, which he's almost done ripping them to hard drives to serve up on Plex. I've started using Plex as well for my collection of movies I'm saving to hard drive.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #6,472 of 7,175
I'm more of that obsessed guy about technology, but I won't "nerd out" unless that person is asking about 4K, visual effects, or something cinematography related (some of the items I'm pretty knowledgable about). I haven't considered a projection system, but have an OLED TV for superior picture quality and is more conducive for my townhouse. It takes up a good viewing angle when I and a friend are watching in my two recliners watching a movie (and my Atmos speaker setup is calibrated to the seating area of my recliners). If entertaining for a party, I've got a couch and other chairs that people will sit and I can have music playing through my speakers. For someone first viewing on my setup, they may praise the image quality or ask me about my speaker setup. As to why I spent some time considering gear, I see it as a means for getting the best experience out of a movie: but I appreciate the inherit merits of the movie first. With 4K, we're now at a threshold where older movies are being restored in a picture and sound format that can surpass the original screening (where with film projection, there were limits with the film negative and also the print getting dust and scratches).

For movie collecting, if you're collecting a range of movies then you might have to be format agnostic. I do like that some classics are making it to 4K (as that does support the best resolving power 35mm film can approach). However, some older movies made it to DVD and went out of print: also some with blu-ray. Now you also have independent studios that can more easily distribute movies via streaming.
Sounds great, absolutely if people ask then answer, but are you also ok at reading people's body and non-verbal cues? Most people ask to be polite, and may be interested to a point, but not want to go down the rabbit hole and have it all explained with the pros and cons. Certainly some do, but if there is mixed company, being the host that focuses on the exception guest who cares and takes the gathering down a path that the majority may be less interested in is worth considering. I only say this as I have seen so many potentially lovely gathers killed by a host with an agenda that does not really revolve around the guests. The hosts wants the guests to love what they love and are sure that if they just force things on the guests they will see what they have been missing.

Sometimes I am sure they may be right, but really, I have always found that the best gatherings are when technology is really in the background and the foreground is the people and the conversation. Music should be quietly playing in the background, preferably with the system out of sight (although many of us including myself don't have enough room). Ideally my stereo would be in-wall and out of sight, even though I love the look of all components, but for entertaining, nope, I would focus on the room and the people, not the technology. End of rant.

Sep 6, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #6,473 of 7,175
Sounds great, absolutely if people ask then answer, but are you also ok at reading people's body and non-verbal cues? Most people ask to be polite, and may be interested to a point, but not want to go down the rabbit hole and have it all explained with the pros and cons. Certainly some do, but if there is mixed company, being the host that focuses on the exception guest who cares and takes the gathering down a path that the majority may be less interested in is worth considering. I only say this as I have seen so many potentially lovely gathers killed by a host with an agenda that does not really revolve around the guests. The hosts wants the guests to love what they love and are sure that if they just force things on the guests they will see what they have been missing.

Sometimes I am sure they may be right, but really, I have always found that the best gatherings are when technology is really in the background and the foreground is the people and the conversation. Music should be quietly playing in the background, preferably with the system out of sight (although many of us including myself don't have enough room). Ideally my stereo would be in-wall and out of sight, even though I love the look of all components, but for entertaining, nope, I would focus on the room and the people, not the technology. End of rant.
Yes, my default hosting people is not talk about my sound system or OLED TV. My DVD cabinets also have doors, so they don't see my physical media. You have a point about inconspicuous speakers if you don't ever want to have a conversation get into equipment. I have tower speakers, and cherry and black surrounds and height speakers...they do take up room, but I try to treat it like furniture (especially my large subwoofer). I have had instances of people being interested in seeing concert blu-rays. So sometimes in that instance they'll indicate how they hear the benefit of a surround system vs stereo or portable speakers. Guys tend to be more about gear and want to talk about it. I don't talk tech with the women I date. But when I first got my 7.1 speaker setup, my girlfriend at the time said that even though she had doubts about the size of speakers, she could really appreciate the sound quality.

Sep 6, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #6,474 of 7,175
Yes, my default hosting people is not talk about my sound system or OLED TV. My DVD cabinets also have doors, so they don't see my physical media. You have a point about inconspicuous speakers if you don't ever want to have a conversation get into equipment. I have tower speakers, and cherry and black surrounds and height speakers...they do take up room, but I try to treat it like furniture (especially my large subwoofer). I have had instances of people being interested in seeing concert blu-rays. So sometimes in that instance they'll indicate how they hear the benefit of a surround system vs stereo or portable speakers. Guys tend to be more about gear and want to talk about it. I don't talk tech with the women I date. But when I first got my 7.1 speaker setup, my girlfriend at the time said that even though she had doubts about the size of speakers, she could really appreciate the sound quality.
Awesome to hear, clearly you are a socially aware person. I also try to treat my somewhat large tower speakers (and dual SVS subs) as furniture as best possible. It isn't like the hosts has no rights, it is our homes after all so we do also count. My point was about the host who is "guest blind" and in their mind scripts their perfect evening without even really considering what the guests perfect evening is, which is the job and hopefully the pleasure of the host. Sounds like you get it.

Sep 6, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #6,475 of 7,175
I think the problem isn’t that your friends’ home theaters are boring. Your friends are boring!

Sep 6, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #6,476 of 7,175
Awesome to hear, clearly you are a socially aware person. I also try to treat my somewhat large tower speakers (and dual SVS subs) as furniture as best possible. It isn't like the hosts has no rights, it is our homes after all so we do also count. My point was about the host who is "guest blind" and in their mind scripts their perfect evening without even really considering what the guests perfect evening is, which is the job and hopefully the pleasure of the host. Sounds like you get it.
Yes, and you have a good point about not focusing on your sound setup with general socializing. I think I also learned that at an early age since I was into unpopular subjects in high school: computers, photography, and model kit making (and visual effects with movies). With adulthood, its included beer brewing. So my friends know to seek me out for their computer help, and I'll get into some of the science of brewing if someone is asking about fermentation. Then I might get into water chemistry and grain makeup if they are asking about differences with beer styles.

Sep 6, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #6,477 of 7,175
I cook and I bring my friends into the kitchen and cook for them. No one complains because the food is good!

Sep 7, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #6,478 of 7,175
hannibal1.06-friend-for-dinner2-1433433240.gif

Sep 11, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #6,480 of 7,175
Yes, Steven Wilson who produces the lion's share of multichannel mixes right now prefers the DVD-A format. Not sure why.

Also, if you collect multichannel music, you're dealing with out of print stuff in all kinds of formats. So being able to play anything is a distinct advantage.

It's possible to rip blu-rays and even SACDs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back