24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!
post-15718823
Post #5,671 of 5,677

KeithPhantom

Head-Fier
Reaction score
Doesn't DSD have softer attacks because of the representation?
No, DSD does not have any characteristics that may affect the signal being recorded other than noise, which is pretty inaudible (even for DSD64 {-120 dBFS [20 bits]}). DSD does not sound different than PCM.

post-15719256
Post #5,672 of 5,677

miksu8

Head-Fier
Reaction score
No, DSD does not have any characteristics that may affect the signal being recorded other than noise, which is pretty inaudible (even for DSD64 {-120 dBFS [20 bits]}). DSD does not sound different than PCM.
Okay so much higher sample rate allows exactly same signal as PCM, except for the possible noise issue.

post-15719262
Post #5,673 of 5,677

KeithPhantom

Head-Fier
Reaction score
except for the possible noise issue.
Noise even for undithered Redbook is pretty much inaudible. Noise is a non-issue since the CD became mainstream. PCM and DSD are designed to do the same thing, and they both do it correctly without any major deviations (only being noise a really minor difference at a technical level, but I already explained that).

post-15719960
Post #5,674 of 5,677

theaudiologist1

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I also want to know something else similar to this topic: Is FPGA better than chips and provide a lower latency and better sound, or it it, once again, placebo? Asking in regard of Hugo 2 vs Pro iDSD

Last edited:
post-15721116
Post #5,675 of 5,677

Slaphead

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I also want to know something else similar to this topic: Is FPGA better than chips and provide a lower latency and better sound, or it it, once again, placebo? Asking in regard of Hugo 2 vs Pro iDSD
FPGAs are used by boutique DAC manufacturers because their production volumes are so low that ASICs are financially unviable. A well designed ASIC will outperform a programmed FPGA for any given job - if not in performance then in power consumption.

In the case of Chord I've noticed just enough latency to make production work a touch awkward at times, but it really is just a bit. If you're just listening then there's no problem at all.

FPGAs are not some secret HiFI sauce despite how hi end DAC producers market them - they're just a cheaper way for them to "make" their own DAC chips. That said that doesn't mean that FPGAs are bad - in the right hands they can sound damned good.

post-15722114
Post #5,676 of 5,677

chef8489

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
.Another clarification, sorry!
If we used a recording setup comprising of just one or two mics and recorded them in PCM and DSD, without editing, mixing or mastering, no one could tell the difference in a listening test. This is a contrived test though, that as far as I'm aware NEVER exists in commercial classical recordings. Commercial classical recordings typically use a minimum of 3-4 mics and sometimes more 50, so they have to be mixed, plus they're virtually always mastered and almost always edited. So, virtually all 1 bit DSD recordings are converted, still no audible difference though. The only exceptions I know of are a few recordings that have been live mixed in the analogue domain and haven't be edited or mastered.
Ik this doesn't happen. I was making a point that if we did the setup, it would be no difference in the sound.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 7)