24: Season 5...The Best Yet?
Feb 27, 2006 at 6:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 92

SennFan

500+ Head-Fier
I think this has potential be the best season yet. As far as the previous three go, the second season was far and away the best hour of television each week that it was on. The characters had been properly developed from the first season enough for viewers to really get into the show the second time around. The commentary this season on the Executive branch isn't optimistic or reassuring as it was in prior seasons where there was a much stronger and confident Prez vis a vis David Palmer.

A potentially major problem with this season is that it has become predictable to a certain extent. There seem to be a lack of plot twists thus far but hopefully this will change. CTU isn't being run as efficiently as it seemed to in the prior episodes which may be indicitive of the current state of affairs in the spy community and beauracratic red tape?

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:17 AM Post #4 of 92
I think every season they are a bit predictable so i know the characters currently on will be replaced with the true masterminds behind all the mayhem.

Even with it being prdictable and over the top it is my favorite show.

Feb 27, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 92
At times it is too predictable. CTU will try to stop Jack and he will get away and at CTU there is someone's in charge that prevents Jack from helping even when everybody else is with Jack.

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 92
I have enjoyed season 5 quite a bit up until the last few episodes. I gotta say that Kim drives me nuts! I can't stand her in the least! I thought she was pretty got for the first few seasons, but now I'm just tired of the trouble she causes. And now that pres palmer, edgar and tony are dead, they need some fresh meat in the show to fill those shoes. I liked all 3 characters. But they definitely need to find some more terrorists to torture...
evil_smiley.gif

Slade

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #7 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladeophile
I have enjoyed season 5 quite a bit up until the last few episodes. I gotta say that Kim drives me nuts! I can't stand her in the least! I thought she was pretty got for the first few seasons, but now I'm just tired of the trouble she causes. And now that pres palmer, edgar and tony are dead, they need some fresh meat in the show to fill those shoes. I liked all 3 characters. But they definitely need to find some more terrorists to torture...
evil_smiley.gif

Slade

Last Monday's episode upset me too. It was too far fetched. There had to be a better way to get rid of the poison without killingv Lynn McGill. There was no mention of a way to get to the armory to get the gas masks. It is hard to believe that there was no one close enough in the city to help them out. A lone police officer with a gas mask could have walked into the room and disabled the computer, easy as that. Then there is Kim which I hoped everyday wouldn't come back. But she did and was totally useless even though in season three I think was employed at CTU and was doing a good job. Oh Vey!

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #8 of 92
I notice so many inconsistencies with 24, but I watch it all the time cuz it's something I enjoy doing with my fiance. One big thing that bothered me from season 3 was when Tony Almeda went crazy and sabotaged everything because the terrorist kidnapped his wife Michelle. When that happened I turned to my fiance and said, "Ya know, you'd think that the DIRECTOR of the Counter-Terrorism Unit would know how to deal with terrorists." He didn't know they wouldn't kill his wife cuz he had the terrorist's daughter. He ran around like he knew nothing about terrorism. And what bugs me is they destroyed the character over this, something that should never have happened ever! The man is the director of CTU for God sake! Arghh!

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #9 of 92
As inconsistent as 24 is, at least it is consistently entertaining and one of the only shows on tv that dares to convey how a lot of people feel about terrorism... and that's all I got to say about that (sorry, forest gump is on tv)...
Slade

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #10 of 92
Elisha Cuthbert as Kim had to be in one episode at least this season. Her appearance I could get over, but C Thomas Howell as her boyfriend (the shrink)--that was so lame!!

Passing away was probably more graceful for Astin's character than being jailed. The writers probably felt it was more heroic and redeeming this way for his character.

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #11 of 92
He was annoying as crap anyway (lynn), I was glad he died...
evil_smiley.gif

Slade

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #12 of 92
The season started off fantastic, but since then they've gotten pretty sloppy. The way they killed Tony off last week was a real disapointment. It feels like they're just killing off characters now to make up for their lack or originality. I mean seriously, how many times do we have to watch Jack go against the CTU director's orders? And did anyone else find it highly annoying that Kim Bauer just happens to bring a Psychiatrist boyfriend that can help Chloe through shock after Edgar's death. Kim is a highly annoying character and it seems like all the characters that surround her are infected with this annoying quality as well. I hope she runs off in the sunset with her 40 year old boyfriend and never returns. Or better yet, kill her off just to make sure.

Mar 20, 2006 at 9:32 AM Post #13 of 92
I never can get into TV dramas. I never watched 24 until about two weeks ago. Strangly, after I watched my first 24 episode, I wanted to watch more. I wouldn't quite say that I'm a fan yet, but it is definately mildy intriguing. I don't like many TV shows that are currently airing, but there's a short list of ones that I don't miss. Conan, Scrubs, and Arressted Development. I still watch MASH, Cheers, Seinfeld, and Everybody Loves Raymond re-runs.

Mar 20, 2006 at 9:36 AM Post #14 of 92
If you want to see some great action, rent the old seasons on dvd or watch them on A&E. Absolutely classic stuff imo. Arrested development is my favorite current comedy tied with the office. Those shows I watch religiously. Don't have the time or patience for all the other crap.
Slade

Mar 20, 2006 at 11:38 AM Post #15 of 92
That was Elisha's final episode IMO, you could see that on how they wrote and acted it out.The long goodbyes to Keifers character to me seemed as if they want the audience to know she wont be back.

Then Tony dieing really sucks.If they were going to kill him off at least give him a more honorable death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back