24 Pos Stepped Attenuator (elma + prp/holco)
Feb 19, 2007 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

n_maher

Resistorous Conflagorous
Up for sale is a ladder-type stepped attenuator that I built using an 24 position Elma switch, PRP and Holco resistors (hand matched values from Michael Percy) and silver bearing solder. This is a 50k attenuator and is suitable for just about any DIY build that you're likely to find. I tested it in my beta22 and it sounded fantastic, unfortunately with my Monica DAC having half the output of my other sources it makes using a stepper of any kind impossible.
frown.gif
Here's a picture.

74551345.jpg

I'm asking less what I paid for the parts plus shipping and Paypal which is $125. The price is negotiable but please understand that the effort to populate this switch is not small (3+ hours) and just to purchase the parts for a similar attenuator from someone like Percy would cost $178 + shipping. The switch is essentially new and unused (less than 10 hours of use). Please PM with any questions and as always feel free to check my feedback if you have any concerns about dealing with me.

Thanks for looking,

Nate

Feb 22, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #4 of 23

PsychoZX

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is this for stereo? or can this be used for balanced amps?

Stereo. You would need a 4 channel stepped attenuator for balanced use (or two stereo attenuators).

Feb 23, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 23

n_maher

Resistorous Conflagorous
Thanks for providing that answer. Yes, this is setup for stereo operation. A balanced attenuator would be much more expensive.

Also, I'm open to hearing offers from folks so don't be shy. Lowballers will be ignored but I'm pretty reasonable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #10 of 23

n_maher

Resistorous Conflagorous
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_cool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What type are the connection terminals? I could look it up but would like to see a picture. Thanks.

Joe,

Sorry for not seeing this sooner. YGPM w/ reply.

Nate

Mar 15, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #12 of 23

n_maher

Resistorous Conflagorous
No issues that I'm aware of. This was done specifically on the advice of Michael Percy who provided the resistors for the attenuator. And you never have mixed brands in the signal path, it's always either PRP or Holco, not one brand on the L and the other on the R.

Users who are viewing this thread