24 Hour Party People
Sep 5, 2002 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
Typically I post about movies in the "general" forum, but in this case I think it's more approriate here.

24 Hour Party People is an independent film that's showing in theaters that actually show independent films in the US now. I believe it finished it's run in the UK already, but I'm not sure. It chronicles the bands, producers and associates of Factory Records, home of producer and journalist Tony Wilson and home to Joy Division/New Order and Happy Mondays.

I was mixed with emotion--first, feeling so old that things that have happened so long ago seem so recent to me. And second, that "I can't believe they made a film about Joy Division." It's pride, in a way. It's feeling like in the grand scheme of things something from my era was worth something and left a mark.

The film is a fictionalized documentary with an actor playing the role of Tony Wilson who narrates his own story and talks to the camera. It's an interesting storytelling device that I felt made the film more real by keeping it in both tenses at the same time. The camera work is experimental and, in my view, not always a success, but it captures the mood and the crave of the new wave and techno movements.

I won't ruin the film by spoiling the specifics, but just want to let you guys know about it in case you didn't. I enjoyed the film and I think any fan of the music would almost have to. If you're not a fan of the music, I say see it anyway and risk learning about something new.

Sep 6, 2002 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Typically I post about movies in the "general" forum, but in this case I think it's more approriate here.

24 Hour Party People is an independent film that's showing in theaters that actually show independent films in the US now. I believe it finished it's run in the UK already, but I'm not sure. It chronicles the bands, producers and associates of Factory Records, home of producer and journalist Tony Wilson and home to Joy Division/New Order and Happy Mondays.

I was mixed with emotion--first, feeling so old that things that have happened so long ago seem so recent to me. And second, that "I can't believe they made a film about Joy Division." It's pride, in a way. It's feeling like in the grand scheme of things something from my era was worth something and left a mark.

The film is a fictionalized documentary with an actor playing the role of Tony Wilson who narrates his own story and talks to the camera. It's an interesting storytelling device that I felt made the film more real by keeping it in both tenses at the same time. The camera work is experimental and, in my view, not always a success, but it captures the mood and the crave of the new wave and techno movements.

I won't ruin the film by spoiling the specifics, but just want to let you guys know about it in case you didn't. I enjoyed the film and I think any fan of the music would almost have to. If you're not a fan of the music, I say see it anyway and risk learning about something new.

Agreed..saw it a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it despite the somewhat Pythonesque ending (struck me as being somewhat out of character). I would've liked to see more of Joy Division though, although the movie's really more about a wittily embellished period in Tony Wilson's life (and as I understand, New Order still harbour some resentment towards Wilson and were not terribly cooperative). And I've only seen bits of Steve Coogan's comedy on BBC, but he's great in this.

- Wasif.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back