24 Bit/192khz via Toslink
Mar 4, 2021 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Headmaster JD

New Head-Fier
Hi there!

this is my first thread on Head-if.org. Happy to be here!

I got a question: I am using a Lindemann Limetree Bridge as Sozrce and want to use my Hugo2 as DAC before outing the signal to my SPL Phonitor XE as Amp. I‘d like to link the Bridge to the Hugo2 via Toslink. (I am using the Coax Out of the Bridge for another DAC that does not have Toslink).

I am streaming via Qobuz so Max Resolution is 24bit / 192khz. I encountered problems with the Toslink connection at Max resolution (crackling noises now and then) and read that not all Toslink cables are capable of 24bit/192hz.

Two questions: (1) does anyone here have experience with this issue (2) can you recommend a cable that can cope with this?

thanks!
JD

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #2 of 7
I don't know anything about Limetree but the other two pieces are known-good. Since you're in Germany have a look at Thomann.de and search for the Mutec optical cables.

If possible, use another source over the same cable into your Hugo 2 to see if you can identify the bridge as the problem or not.

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #4 of 7
Cables are cheap enough that trying a known-good one is worth doing though. I agree it's not ideal, I much prefer USB, AES, coax, anything but a piece of plastic...

Mar 4, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 7
Probably a cable or fit issue. First check that the head is in place on both ends and clicks in place for a secure fit. As far as your cable, you don't have to spend an arm and a leg on one. The KabelDirect Toslink cables seem to work well, AmazonBasics Toslink works for me up to 192k. Most recently, I switched to this glass cable that is also affordable and works perfectly up to 192k: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D1A8KM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mar 7, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #7 of 7
All,

thanks for your advice. It turned out to indeed be a cable issue. A QED Reference Optical Quartz Cable with 0.6m length has solved the issue superbly. Seems that‘s the trick as I found in the details of my Phonitor‘s manual: You need a cable < 1m length with real glass-Fibre material. Kimber Cable also has a Toslink cable that is guaranteed to work at 196khz.

best
JD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back