2359glenn | studio
Sep 22, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #39,182 of 39,983
What do you expect. This is head-fi, hifi. An expensive hobby to get into. Perhaps golf is cheaper or skydiving. Try go-karting !
On a per stroke basis, golf is definitely cheaper…

Sep 22, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #39,183 of 39,983
Sep 22, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #39,184 of 39,983
I cannot but chuckle when once in a while I see someone lists in the classifieds 2 pairs of uber-expensive IEMs ($3K+ each), adding the reason for the sale is for paying the rent or reducing debt...
Granted, "expensive" is relative. My best buddy thinks I am crazy for paying more than $500 for ANY headphones!! On the other end of the range, some people here have no problem buying 3-4 new TOTL headphones, just to compare them, and then sell the ones they do not like at a HUGE loss.
I guess I am a little perplexed that while inflation rate (and most people's income) has not moved much in the last 2 years or so - some high end (and even mid-tier) gear has gone up 50% (or more) in price!
Hats off to companies like Schiit (to name one) that despite the crazy price spiraling trends - they keep their products very accessible to most people.
I agree. It is one thing to design, engineer, produce on a ne plus ultra basis and quite another to execute the best design, engineering, production to a price point. Ars est artem celare.

Sep 22, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #39,185 of 39,983
Especially for @UntilThen . I've been trying so hard to teach him that 72 is not a good per-hole score.
I thought that UT played until he shot 72 - however few holes that took…

Sep 22, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #39,187 of 39,983
Consider the audience. :smile:

I just ran across a $29k power cord ** so I suppose it's all relative. The prices AND the sanity. LOL!
** did the plugs come with it?

Sep 22, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #39,188 of 39,983
Sep 22, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #39,190 of 39,983
Color and tonality spot on. I would call this my end game.

Hmmm...... ただならぬ means extraordinary, incomparable, and
高音 means high-pitched tone, and
質 means quality, nature, character.

But looking at the size of those speakers, I would think it is the bass and fundamental tones that are extraordinary. But then, they're not marketing this to poor folks like me! lol :)

Sep 22, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #39,191 of 39,983
Don't you understand. I try not to get too many hole in one because if I do that means I have less chance of hitting the balls !!!
“I have less chance of hitting the (golf) balls” on each swing?….

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #39,192 of 39,983
Hmmm...... ただならぬ means extraordinary, incomparable, and
高音 means high-pitched tone, and
質 means quality, nature, character.

But looking at the size of those speakers, I would think it is the bass and fundamental tones that are extraordinary. But then, they're not marketing this to poor folks like me! lol :)

How about this? All through my LCD4 and Odyssey of course. :)

Sep 23, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #39,193 of 39,983
But the price is WAY more sane!
The price of new TOTL headphones/IEMs/amps/DACs seem to be spiraling out of control... :frowning2:
I know right...at some point , it is like this is where a fool and his money part.

I have loved all of the Audeze headphones that I have heard....bass....smooth mids and a treble that is not too extended making the music so darn musical.
I wonder if the RAD-0 has these traits, knowing who made them makes me think so.

I agree the RAD-0 seems to be a decent deal , and more so when comparing the price with some other headphones.

There are many tubes that are priced for being rare....more so then how they sound, not that they don't sound good...but you know.

You hang around head-fi long enough and it can be pretty wallet draining....LOL.

Sep 23, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #39,194 of 39,983
I wonder if the RAD-0 has these traits, knowing who made them makes me think so.

I am listening the RAD-0 right now with the Gel3n amp in one tube mode - have not gone into critical listening as the pair that I got (used pair but it is just like brand new) has less than 50hrs on it, will put more hours into it before doing some A/B with VC. Too bad I do not have the lcd-x anymore to do a direct comparison as well.

If I were to put some initial impression on the RAD-0 comparing to VC - they are more neutral and have a flatter and cleaner presentation, definitely more polite sounding, not as exciting as the VC, and less 'immersive' or the 3D-ness. But boy both high and low extends really well on RAD-0, especially the low end, I find the rad-0 goes deeper, perhaps due it being planar, and it reminds me a little bit of the lcd-x (which I had sold earlier, but I remembered lcd-x slam harder).

One thing that strikes me the most is the mid / vocal of RAD-0 - it is more intimate, stands out more from the rest of instruments or background music, and it just sounds so lush and sweet (mid wins me over the VC). Also, I find the RAD-0 seems to perform slightly better on imaging and detail retrieval, but not in anyway causing any fatigue.

I guess both brings different kind of enjoyment to the table. VC being the more fun, immersive and hard-slamming sounding pair, compared to RAD-0 which is more refine and sweet sounding especially the vocal part. Both are really musical.

I guess they should compliment each others well. To me VC still has the 'wow' factor more than the RAD-0. I will put more hours into the RAD-0 and do a more detailed A/B between both. Shouldn't be too difficult to describe as they sound more different than similar.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #39,195 of 39,983
I am listening the RAD-0 right now with the Gel3n amp in one tube mode
Interesting - I would have guessed you'd need more juice and thus have to use 2-tube mode for planars...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back