2359glenn | studio
Jul 6, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #38,986 of 39,983
Shoutout to @Deyan forsending me a nice bundle of awesome adapters! Time to buy some new tubes and experiment.
(Had a scary moment there for a minute as I accidentally got the adapters sent to an old address of mine but thankfully the new owners held onto the package! Pheeew)

quick question. I’ve never seen it but am interested if anybody thinks it’s worth a shot or just a meaningless effort. Do you think there would be added sonic qualities to making a dual 12a_7 to 6sn7 adapter or even a dual 6sn7 to 6sn7 adapter?
I have experimented with 2x 6SN7 to 6J5 adapters (using just 1 triode of each 6SN7) then a dual 6J5 back into 6SN7 socket. It has always been noisier and I think the 6J5 equivalents are cheaper and sound the same/better :)

Jul 6, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #38,987 of 39,983
Shoutout to @Deyan forsending me a nice bundle of awesome adapters! Time to buy some new tubes and experiment.
(Had a scary moment there for a minute as I accidentally got the adapters sent to an old address of mine but thankfully the new owners held onto the package! Pheeew)

quick question. I’ve never seen it but am interested if anybody thinks it’s worth a shot or just a meaningless effort. Do you think there would be added sonic qualities to making a dual 12a_7 to 6sn7 adapter or even a dual 6sn7 to 6sn7 adapter?

I have experimented with 2x 6SN7 to 6J5 adapters (using just 1 triode of each 6SN7) then a dual 6J5 back into 6SN7 socket. It has always been noisier and I think the 6J5 equivalents are cheaper and sound the same/better :)

Using a 2x 6SN7 to 6J5 approach, the best way to use them would be to have both 6SN7 sections in parallel, which essentially operates as a single triode with half the plate resistance, double the transconductance, roughly the same gain, reduced noise relative to a single section. The bias point will change given the tube socket is set up to bias a single 6SN7 triode. Hard to say if the sound would be better than using a single 6SN7 triode per channel or a 6J5. I tend to think not, I haven't experimented with it personally.

Just FYI though - using a single section of a dual triode tube and leaving the other section heated, but not DC biased, will damage the section that is not under operation over time, so not recommended.

Jul 6, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #38,988 of 39,983
The bias point will change given the tube socket is set up to bias a single 6SN7 triode.
This is what I speculated. The reason why I brought it up was because there are so many great preamps out there that use a double triode for each channel. I notice few headphone amps do that and normally stick to only one tube instead of one for each channel or is it being used differently? In the GOTL is there no preamp tube and the only preamp part is the volume pot?

Jul 6, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #38,990 of 39,983
This is what I speculated. The reason why I brought it up was because there are so many great preamps out there that use a double triode for each channel. I notice few headphone amps do that and normally stick to only one tube instead of one for each channel or is it being used differently? In the GOTL is there no preamp tube and the only preamp part is the volume pot?

Well it depends on the preamp circuit, but many times preamps will use one section of a dual triode as a voltage gain stage and the other as a cathode follower. The gain stage raises the volume, the cathode follower lowers the output impedance. So two dual triodes, but the two halves of each are being used for different purposes. You could wire both in parallel as a voltage gain stage (what I alluded to above), but the output impedance will be much higher than using a cathode follower, which is not desirable for a preamp.

Jul 6, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #38,991 of 39,983
If the GOTL was built using a 6sn7 socket for each channel could it sound better? Or am I entirely missing something here with creating headphone circuitry?

Quite some time ago, in response to someone else asking this exact question in this forum, Glenn said that in his opinion, there was no sonic advantage to using two 6SN7 drivers as opposed to one.

And as a user, I know that having an amp with only one driver saves a lot of money. :)

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #38,992 of 39,983
Quite some time ago, in response to someone else asking this exact question in this forum, Glenn said that in his opinion, there was no sonic advantage to using two 6SN7 drivers as opposed to one.

And as a user, I know that having an amp with only one driver saves a lot of money. :)

No kidding, having to buy pairs of some of those 6SN7 tubes will lighten your wallet quickly . :o2smile:

Jul 7, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #38,993 of 39,983
Looking for some tube wisdom...

Who has moved a large quantity of tubes from one home to the other, and what is the suggested safest way to pack them up? Im thinking about using 12 pack beer cases as they have the built in bottle dividers. I have all of my tubes in boxes, with a piece of styrafoam popcorn inside to minimize the tube movement.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Jul 7, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #38,994 of 39,983

Who has moved a large quantity of tubes from one home to the other, and what is the suggested safest way to pack them up? Im thinking about using 12 pack beer cases as they have the built in bottle dividers. I have all of my tubes in boxes, with a piece of styrafoam popcorn inside to minimize the tube movement.

If you pack them carefully, using bubble wrap and other packing materials etc I don't think that there will be any problems. To me, the biggest problem would be how to find the ones you want once you unpack - some kind of system to identify them by type would be necessary.
Personally I use shoe boxes and stick labels on them to keep track of all the tubes, but sometimes that doesn't help, and there are tubes I know I have but cannot find....

Jul 7, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #38,995 of 39,983

I think this is a very good idea. Yours will be packed better than many I receive from eBay vendors. lol :)

Jul 7, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #38,996 of 39,983
I think this is a very good idea. Yours will be packed better than many I receive from eBay vendors. lol :)
I have received hundreds of tubes (where did they all come from?) in the mail, and it is very rare that something arrived broken, but it could happen. The worst offenders are people who put several glass tubes together inside a box without tube boxes boxes and padding. and even then most tubes survive.
I once received a pair of tubes from Hungary in a regular (unpadded) paper envelope, each tube wrapped in half a paper napkin. They survived, maybe because they were sturdy Russian tubes.
So the moral is that as long as you take regular precautions everything will be safe. And the $500 tubes I would not entrust to the movers but carry myself....

Jul 7, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #38,997 of 39,983

As @gibosi and @mordy have already chimed in, you should be fine if they are all in tube boxes already. My hoard stash has been through 4 moves (1 by me, 3 by movers) packed just that way with no problems. I use these bankers boxes that can be broken down after the move and stored in minimal space for the next time (which I hope is never). Plus they're a nice size to hold a decent number of tubes without getting too heavy, unless of course your stash is comprised mostly of 211's and 845's. :smile:

https://www.amazon.com/Bankers-Box-...-73ca-403a-923c-8152c45485fe&tag=scoutedv2-20

Jul 8, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #38,998 of 39,983

Attachments

• 11028028.jpg
    11028028.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Jul 9, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #38,999 of 39,983
That beats the snot out of my empty beer boxes. Where does one go about finding that?

Jul 9, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #39,000 of 39,983
That beats the snot out of my empty beer boxes. Where does one go about finding that?
Ebay is your friend .got that caddy around 6 years ago it's like new .Dont see them often like that , i figure its worth the expense just to have a safe place for those little glass jewels

Attachments

• caddy.jpg
    caddy.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back