2359glenn | studio
Apr 5, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #36,076 of 39,934
I am still well.
After working 7 days for weeks they are closing down permanently. After possibly exposing us to this lay us off so we have no insurance.
Could say allot of things that I can't post here.
Did find new Jobs for more money but 3hrs away. have to find a new house not so easy now with many real estate company's closed.
Don't want to move but no choice. To much junk to move will have to through out 100s of tubes most TV tubes.

So sorry to hear this Glenn, and what a bad time to have to find a house. Keep grinding and everything will work out.
The worst thing about moving is having to move all of stuff that has been collected over the years.

If you need anything just let me know....thinking of you.

Apr 5, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #36,077 of 39,934
I am still well.
After working 7 days for weeks they are closing down permanently. After possibly exposing us to this lay us off so we have no insurance.
Did find new Jobs for more money but 3hrs away. have to find a new house not so easy now with many real estate company's closed.
Don't want to move but no choice. To much junk to move will have to through out 100s of tubes most TV tubes.

Sorry to hear that, Glenn. One day at a time, tough situation to be in, but you will get through it.
Most important, be careful, stay well. You’ve been through worse, you’ll beat this also.

Apr 5, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #36,078 of 39,934
I've been listening to a live stream from a London nightclub all afternoon. Lot's of people participating in the chat room and also on a Zoom video feed. Everyone partying/drinking in their living rooms!

I've noticed a lot of DJ's started doing this too which is really cool. I think we're going to see an explosion of new music come out of this because so many musicians have time now.

You guys (@Karnicopia & @leftside) inspired a fun detour looking for sets from London clubs. This is close (via Fabric) and I've been am sat here enjoying it now:

I also think this morning's combo (seeking EL32 partners) is doing all the right things. I quite like these GECs, but I think stand-alone (no EL32s) I might prefer the 10 quid metal GE 6C5s! Together with the EL32s, I think I strongly prefer the GECs.

(EDIT after a few more hours. I don't think my amp has ever sounded this good. Loving this setup.)

(I really need to dust and JV is photo-shaming the rest of us with his skills)

@2359glenn - we all hope you are well! In a few days, I'll have had my amp for 6 months. It has become such a part of my everyday life and it is hard to believe it has only been such a short time. Thanks for making beautiful amps for us all.

When I was shopping on Amazon recently it suggested that record and I picked it up, really digging it and I love them in general. Kingdoms in Color is just stunning and Portraits (Home) was one of the first songs I put on after getting the amp set up.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #36,079 of 39,934
I am still well.
Sorry to hear that Glenn. I am glad you find a new job with better pay. Not sure how far you are moving away from where you are now but if it closer to me and there is anything I can help let me know.

Apr 5, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #36,080 of 39,934
I am still well.
That really stinks Glenn. Being forced to move sucks, but once you settle, I hope it turns out to be a positive move for you.

Apr 5, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #36,081 of 39,934
I am still well.
I am sorry you are suffering. I think I speak on everyone's behalf when I say; our thoughts are with you and if there is anything anyone can do, we would love to.

Apr 5, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #36,082 of 39,934
GEC's!! Wow! Are they designated L63's Or 6J5's?

I believe they are pre-1945, labelled 6J5 (via Billington a few months back). There was some back/ forth with @leftside and @gibosi a few months back helping date them. I think these are the same.

The other day, @mordy suggested the EL32s had a different impact with different input tube partners. For some reason, with these GECs, the combo really rocks. With other tubes, the EL32s added something, but this combo really shows their value.

Yesterday, my experiments (basically all day!) were keeping the EL32s and rotating other drivers At some point, I also removed the EL32s to try to isolate their contributions. Fun times :) I am not sure I will be mixing the current setup for some days.

Apr 5, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #36,083 of 39,934
I am still well.

I’m sorry to hear about your company Glenn. I’m glad you found a better job with better pay, and yes, moving is never fun unless you’re young and inexperienced with it.

Apr 5, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #36,084 of 39,934
You guys (@Karnicopia & @leftside) inspired a fun detour looking for sets from London clubs. This is close (via Fabric) and I've been am sat here enjoying it now:
The last time I was at Fabric was 23 years ago! The London online club I was listening with last night were still going strong when I went to bed at 10:45pm my time (6:45am London time!). It was a lot of fun in the chat room - made some new online friends.

Apr 5, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #36,085 of 39,934
I am still well.

What horrible time they choose to let you guys go, this is beyond words. Truly sorry to hear this. Let us know if we could help, Glenn.

Apr 5, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #36,086 of 39,934
I am still well.
Sorry to hear that Glenn. I can confirm that the housing market is nearly dry at the moment. I hope that everything works out for the best for you.

Apr 5, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #36,087 of 39,934
Hello Chrisdrop...

I had to take off the HP and go get a hand towel...to wipe off the drool from looking at your beautiful GEC's!! Wow! Are they designated L63's Or 6J5's?

Last night, I was EL32-less and compared the RCA 12J5GT's to Ken Rad metal 6C5's with 5998 powers. Both driver sets are beautiful but I preferred the overall presentation of the RCA 12J5's. A little clearer/more personal w/details in the mids and velvet gloved, smooth and even highs.

After this post, I decided to do an intense study of adding the EL32's to the RCA 12J5/5998's...what really happens?

I chose the song: "My Rival" from the Steely Dan album "Gaucho" as my test song. I am very familiar with this song, every single note and every teensy tiny detail in this tune, which was widely acknowledged to have had a lot of studio engineering preformed to make it unrivaled (pun intended) in recording quality.

1st up is RCA 12J5/TS 5998 - and it's beautiful - hard to imagine it sounding better.
then
RCA 12J5 / Mullard EL32 / TS 5998 - there is added thickness to the whole recording. A "reverb", a presence, if you will. Much deeper soundstage. Detail retrieval went off the charts. The harmony singing parts become much more palatable. Tiny details are clarified, fully explained and made important. It is rather like turning the resolution of the recording way way up. I think the EL32's make a gigantic difference for the much better.

That is....if you like a thick rich deep and involving soundstage, immense detail retrieval, human voices that sound absolutely real, like your in the room at the moments when the recording was made....and off the charts detail retrieval....

IMG_2959-2.JPG

Give a whirl, Chrisdrop...take a superb driver set and a recording you know well and love, and carefully compare, with and without the magical EL32's.

Everyone....please stay safe and well...!!

Cheers!

~JV~
Hi JV,
Dug into my pile of shoe boxes and took out the following tubes:
1586132963150.png

You guessed it: A pair of RCA 12J5, a pair of Mullard EL32 and a pair of TS 5998.
Sounds very good, but need time to be able to compare with my ATM favorite - KR6N7/6J7 and Syl/Mul 4x6080.
But wait:
Full bodied, dynamic, detailed and more energy efficient - 5.7A vs 11.4A or exactly half of the previous tube complement. Maybe I can save even more energy if I don't leave the fans on....And I can leave the volume at the same setting as before - plenty volume.
Previously I did not like the RCA 12J5 but in this combination they sound very good - just goes to show how important synergy is. And also never to dismiss a tube - you never know when it might get it's place in the spotlight......

Apr 5, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #36,088 of 39,934
Hi JV,
Dug into my pile of shoe boxes and took out the following tubes:
1586132963150.png
You guessed it: A pair of RCA 12J5, a pair of Mullard EL32 and a pair of TS 5998.
Sounds very good, but need time to be able to compare with my ATM favorite - KR6N7/6J7 and Syl/Mul 4x6080.
But wait:
Full bodied, dynamic, detailed and more energy efficient - 5.7A vs 11.4A or exactly half of the previous tube complement. Maybe I can save even more energy if I don't leave the fans on....And I can leave the volume at the same setting as before - plenty volume.
Previously I did not like the RCA 12J5 but in this combination they sound very good - just goes to show how important synergy is. And also never to dismiss a tube - you never know when it might get it's place in the spotlight......

Hello Mordy!

I was going to mention that the 12J5/EL32/5998 runs nice and cool, While I do also love 6N7/6J7 and Quad of 6080, they run quite HOT in my amp. I am talking heat that seems to be inside, under the top deck.

I am really enjoying the 12J5/EL32/5998 roll currently, and am delighted at the additional advantage of a much cooler running amp.

Hope all are staying safe and staying well...!!!

Cheers!

Apr 6, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #36,089 of 39,934
I am still well.

So the new bosses ended up not being better than the old after all. I hope everything works out. What a rough time to have to move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back