2359glenn | studio
Mar 29, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #35,941 of 39,983
This has to be a really tough call on whether to keep these tubes or sell them. It can be tough to keep tubes that you are not using as you could use the money else where.
Then again, if you ever decide to build an OTL you already have some of the best tubes available and won't have to track them down again.

Yes it is. I think I am going to follow my gut and keep them for now, I just have a feeling I will need them for an OTL design at some point. Some of them are becoming so rare and expensive, I might never find them again.

Mar 29, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #35,942 of 39,983
So far I still have to work will see what happens on Monday.
The company was filing that they are a necessity that is BS .
They are trying to make a big bucks from this tragedy.
This is while the bosses work from home. Funny how the ones that do nothing and know nothing are the ones they want to save.

That's just nonsense. I hope everything works out for you tomorrow too. Stay safe and do all you can to protect yourself, Glenn.

Mar 29, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #35,943 of 39,983
Yes it is. I think I am going to follow my gut and keep them for now, I just have a feeling I will need them for an OTL design at some point. Some of them are becoming so rare and expensive, I might never find them again.

I also ended up keeping most of my 6v tubes except and packaged the amp sale with the 12v.

I’m even toying with the idea of either having Glenn build me another. Only two power output slots and one driver slot and then heavily modified on the inside.

Or build one myself. Inspired by you. :)

Mar 29, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #35,944 of 39,983
I also ended up keeping most of my 6v tubes except and packaged the amp sale with the 12v.

I’m even toying with the idea of either having Glenn build me another. Only two power output slots and one driver slot and then heavily modified on the inside.

That would be cool! If you decide to go for it, I can recommend some reading materials. I think a lot of people starting out find tried and true designs and build them, maybe make some slight modifications. If you go full custom from the get-go and design the circuit from scratch, definitely presents a challenge, but it can be done! Just have to take your time with the design process and bounce ideas of experienced builders.

Mar 29, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #35,945 of 39,983
That would be cool! If you decide to go for it, I can recommend some reading materials. I think a lot of people starting out find tried and true designs and build them, maybe make some slight modifications. If you go full custom from the get-go and design the circuit from scratch, definitely presents a challenge, but it can be done! Just have to take your time with the design process and bounce ideas of experienced builders.

If you decide to build I will help you. My output circuit is not the norm but sounds good better them most OTLs.
Laying out the chassis is the hardest part.
Or just have me build it.

Mar 29, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #35,946 of 39,983
I don't know if I want to sell them Glenn! What if I need them for an amp in the future? It is kind of a lot of tubes though...gotta think about it.

Bendix 6080WB
Cetron 6336B
Fivre 6BX7GT
GEC 6080WB
GEC 6AS7G
Nippon Electric 6520
Nippon Electric 6AS7G
RCA 6BX7GT
Sylvania 6BL7GT flat plate
Toshiba 6BX7GT
Tung-Sol 5998
Tung-Sol 6BX7GT
Tung-Sol 7802
Western Electric 421A
Keep them. They are rare, collectable and will hold their value + they have the optionality value for a future OTL amp.

Mar 29, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #35,947 of 39,983
Mar 29, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #35,948 of 39,983
An indication of just how much things have changed here in the US...

This morning I decided to go to the grocery store early, hoping to beat the crowd. And boy was I pleasantly surprised! lol :)

2020-03-29 12.24.34.jpg

Mar 29, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #35,949 of 39,983

This morning I decided to go to the grocery store early, hoping to beat the crowd. And boy was I pleasantly surprised! lol :)

TP, the new bling...

6788bc2439ebbb3fc5bdda8d2ba764fa.jpg

Mar 29, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #35,950 of 39,983

Yesterday my grocery store surprisingly had a decent amount of TP, maybe 20-25 packages of 12. I saw a guy with a 12 pack of TP under one arm and a 12 pack of Molson under the other. "The bare necessities" I thought LOL.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #35,951 of 39,983
From what I read the most bought items in the US are toilet paper and water. And there was a huge surge in people buying guns and ammunition.
Tried to understand why people feel the need for guns and ammo in these terrible and difficult times, but then I read somewhere that people fear social unrest and want to be able to defend themselves.
In any case all stores are closed here except for food stores, pharmacies and gas stations so I assume that the gun stores aren't deemed essential.

Mar 29, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #35,952 of 39,983

Hi Phantaminum,
I thought that you already had found the amp you can live with forever....

Mar 29, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #35,953 of 39,983

2020-03-29 12.24.34.jpg

Wait till people are rushing for face masks/hand sanitizers/gloves

Mar 29, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #35,954 of 39,983
Wait till people are rushing for face masks/hand sanitizers/gloves

That is already happening. In the hospital, we've had to put all PPE (personal protective equipment) on lockdown due to visitors and even employees stealing it.

Mar 29, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #35,955 of 39,983
From what I read the most bought items in the US are toilet paper and water. And there was a huge surge in people buying guns and ammunition.
Tried to understand why people feel the need for guns and ammo in these terrible and difficult times, but then I read somewhere that people fear social unrest and want to be able to defend themselves.
In any case all stores are closed here except for food stores, pharmacies and gas stations so I assume that the gun stores aren't deemed essential.

Wondering why pharmacies and gas stations aren’t deemed essential?
That is already happening. In the hospital, we've had to put all PPE (personal protective equipment) on lockdown due to visitors and even employees stealing it.

The stealing happens here too, and we are running out of PPEs (medical workers had to use garbage bags). Those with access of 3d printers are helping by printing out face shields.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back