2359glenn | studio
Aug 2, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #28,006 of 39,981
It is the clean Ohio power. I think Wazzupi was having issues with his 6BX7s actually. I have a couple different six-packs on hand myself, no issues so far, just great music.

Ohio power haha. Wait till you see the power here. We have wind turbines. :)

If you have a sextet of well behaved 6bx7 or 6BL7, the GOTL sounds phenomenal .... at least to my ears.

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #28,007 of 39,981
I am finding I really enjoy the 6BX7s with a pentode input, either C3g, EL32, or EL3N!

I'll roll in the c3g(s) next but I left my EL32, EL3N and EL11 in Sydney. Must remember to get them on the next trip.

I agree the pentodes as strapped triodes sounds great with 6bx7s.

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #28,008 of 39,981
I'll roll in the c3g(s) next but I left my EL32, EL3N and EL11 in Sydney. Must remember to get them on the next trip.

I agree the pentodes as strapped triodes sounds great with 6bx7s.

I was inspired by you and Glenn talking up the EL32 and had Deyan fashion me some adapters. I had some noise issues at first, but Deoxit seems to have tamed them for now. Really great sounding tubes, can't beat the price at $5 USD a pop. I have the shouldered and straight.

DSCF5367.jpg

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #28,009 of 39,981
I was inspired by you and Glenn talking up the EL32 and had Deyan fashion me some adapters. I had some noise issues at first, but Deoxit seems to have tamed them for now. Really great sounding tubes, can't beat the price at $5 USD a pop. I have the shouldered and straight.

Looking good !!!

I bought a pair of the same EL32. Mullard with smoke glass. Mine cost $30 a pair though. I did not even open the parcel.

This is a picture taken from the seller's ebay listing.

EL32 tubes.jpg

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #28,010 of 39,981
Siemens c3g(s) with 6bx7gt. These are the tubes I first heard the GOTL on back in Dec 2017. The dynamics are out of this world. It's a dynamite. Explosive. :)

IMG-3177.JPG

Aug 2, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #28,011 of 39,981
Are the amperex 6080's I had made by mullard? I'm not as versed in tube history as I wish I was. I like them because they are dead quiet and matched. I was the victim of some nice but unmatched ebay tubes.

The other tubes I had was an RCA 6f8g round plate with smoked glass and the sittard GZ 34 rectifier with the X code, I believe it's a 58. Should be same internals as the metal based versions but I don't like traveling with my metal base.

I've lost (broken) a number of tubes traveling that I get a little shy moving around with my best stuff.

Unfortunately at shows I'm so inundated talking and explaining everything to everyone I never am able to swap tubes in and out. I wish I could give a full demonstration with different sets of tubes to show how the Glenn just shows you the tube you have rolled so accurately.

Maybe for RMAF I'll post what I want to tube roll here so you guys can tell me what you think!

Try to get some GEC 6AS7s or GEC 6080s Always quiet and sound great with all your headphones!!!!
Abet pricy but I think worth it GEC 6AS7s is all I use never take them out.

Aug 2, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #28,012 of 39,981
Try to get some GEC 6AS7s or GEC 6080s Always quiet and sound great with all your headphones!!!!
Abet pricy but I think worth it GEC 6AS7s is all I use never take them out.

Alrighty I'm on the hunt. :L3000:

PS - if anyone has a good source send me a PM. =)

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 2, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #28,013 of 39,981
Siemens c3g(s) with 6bx7gt. These are the tubes I first heard the GOTL on back in Dec 2017. The dynamics are out of this world. It's a dynamite. Explosive. :)

As I was tube rolling the first day, this combo really floored me, those C3g tubes are no joke! Very transparent with great dynamics from the 6BX7s.

Aug 2, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #28,014 of 39,981
Alrighty I'm on the hunt. :L3000:

PS - if anyone has a good source send me a PM. =)

I can confirm,the GEC 6AS7 sound very nice,but theyre not cheap. Perhaps hit up @rosgr63 . He might have some,or know where to find them.

@UntilThen was wondering where youve been. Good to see you back here.

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #28,015 of 39,981
Sorry for going off topic (again) but the Lampizat0r has landed! Having this in my home and not being able to use it for two weeks is gonna drive me insane.

Beautiful, enjoy it!!!

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #28,017 of 39,981
Something came to my mind. Probably most of you already guessed I'm using bases from locktal tubes for the C3g adapters. So the question question is does anyone have some spent C3g tubes. I have 2 tubes but they are already meant for a very special pair of EL3 to C3g adapters.

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #28,018 of 39,981
I worn people about these tubes. Have a pair of 5998s and will never use them again they blew my HD-650s.
Must be a design flaw tn this type of tube. It would go unnoticed as a voltage regulator that it was made for.

Wait, so you've had both your HD650 and your Grados blown up by 5998s now? I was only aware of the Grados getting toasted.

It's really such a shame these tubes are like this. They sound so good when fed properly.

Aug 2, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #28,019 of 39,981
Here was a quote from user @Taisser Roots after a brief try of a Glenn OTL amp at London CanJam last weekend. I'm not sure how much burn in the amp had, which tubes were in use or other customization options the amp had, but it makes me wonder what the $1700 IHA1 tube amp that appears a bit smaller may have against the Glenn amp.

"Glenn otl
no proper reference here
Nice slam
Less air than the iha1, it's definitely darker.
Similar resolve to that thing, I think more dynamic than the iha1. (Actually iha1 is more resolving by a good amount)

Less stage cohesion, but the seperation and stage still come across naturally, not as wide as the iha1"

In response I did mention that the Glenn amps have a lot of potential depending on tubes used and other customizations. Though I still haven't heard the GOTL. It looks like it was finally their first time on exhibit, but somehow the setup didn't impress folks there too much.
@jelt2359 maybe you have an opinion too...

I'm probably one of the very few people in the world who own both a Glenn OTL and an Inspire IHA-1 so I have a bit of insight here. These two amps sound different enough that I honestly don't think it makes a lot of sense to directly compare them to each other. Also, it cannot be said enough that Glenn's amp is VERY flexible and changes character a lot depending on the tubes used. The IHA-1, on the other hand, has a more consistent sonic character that changes less with tube rolling.

You can put a different set of tubes in the Glenn and and re-do this comparison and it would be like comparing a completely new amplifier. Comparing the IHA-1 to my Glenn 45 DHT makes more sense in my mind than trying to compare it to the OTL. The 45 and the IHA-1 share a lot more qualities since both are transformer coupled.

Aug 2, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #28,020 of 39,981
I can confirm,the GEC 6AS7 sound very nice,but theyre not cheap. Perhaps hit up @rosgr63 . He might have some,or know where to find them.

@UntilThen was wondering where youve been. Good to see you back here.

I took a sabbatical from Head-Fi and would have been away still had Gkar not pm me. :)

GEC 6as7g are way too expensive now, regardless of the holy grail tag. WE 421A are equally as expensive.

That pair of GEC 6as7g which I sold to you for $500 I thought was outrageously expensive but this one tube alone, the seller is asking for $419.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GEC-6AS7G-...rentrq:537f9f3616c0acc41dbb015cffe9f789|iid:1

Fortunately for me I'm very happy using my 6bx7gt. I'm not even using my GEC 6080, Bendix 6080wb and Tung Sol 5998.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back