2359glenn | studio
Jul 13, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #27,691 of 39,983
As the ECC32 draws .9 amps, it can't really be considered a 6SN7GT. Actually, it is more accurate to say that it is a modified 6N7G with separate cathodes. And in fact, Mullard simply took the ECC31, separated the cathodes and the ECC32 was born. The only other modified 6N7G with separate cathodes that I am aware of is the Raytheon 5694.

Many consider the ECC32 to be among the best drivers available. But as always, "best" is a function of personal preferences and system synergy.

Jul 13, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #27,692 of 39,983
As the ECC32 draws .9 amps, it can't really be considered a 6SN7GT. Actually, it is more accurate to say that it is a modified 6N7G with separate cathodes. And in fact, Mullard simply took the ECC31, separated the cathodes and the ECC32 was born. The only other modified 6N7G with separate cathodes that I am aware of is the Raytheon 5694.

Many consider the ECC32 to be among the best drivers available. But as always, "best" is a function of personal preferences and system synergy.

Thanks, Ken. I didn't realize it was basically an ECC31 with a split cathode, that does make me wonder if it is worth the premium over the ECC31 if both are usable in the GOTL. I was considering liquidating some spare tubes to purchase one. Hmm...

Jul 13, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #27,693 of 39,983
I received an interesting pair of 6J5 tubes today, Visseaux 6J5MG in metal envelopes. The internals are identical to the Visseaux 6J5G, discussed in this Head-Fi post:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fel...ost-for-summary.813488/page-214#post-12970528

Visseaux used wax sleeves in the packaging, so it was waterproof and the metal is virtually free from corrosion. Some may think they are ugly, I think they look quite nice! Excited to give them a listen when my adapter arrives.

IMAG0625.jpg

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #27,694 of 39,983
I digitised all my vinyls years ago and I still rip CD's.

My library has more than 30,000 tracks properly classified with IDs.

Im sitting on 32,938 files,with over 10K of them residing in either my classic rock or metal folders. :) I used to do vinyl,but sold off the lot prior to moving overseas back in 2005.
Most of my stuff is 16/24 bit lossless,but some of my more obscure stuff is 320mp3 :frowning2:
I'd like to get into the DSD domain. Can you guys recommend software that does DSD,FLAC and MP3? I looked into HQPlayer,but it doesnt support lossy files.

Its one of my favs.

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #27,695 of 39,983
Jul 13, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #27,696 of 39,983
Im sitting on 32,938 files,with over 10K of them residing in either my classic rock or metal folders. :) I used to do vinyl,but sold off the lot prior to moving overseas back in 2005.
Most of my stuff is 16/24 bit lossless,but some of my more obscure stuff is 320mp3 :frowning2:
I'd like to get into the DSD domain. Can you guys recommend software that does DSD,FLAC and MP3? I looked into HQPlayer,but it doesnt support lossy files.
Its one of my favs.
Roon or JRiver.

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #27,697 of 39,983
Jul 13, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #27,698 of 39,983
For those who have heard the famed Mullard ECC32, where does it fall in the ranks of other 6SN7 types in the GOTL? Is there another non-Mullard it is somewhat similar to in terms of character?

If you want a great sounding driver and have a dual 6J5 adapter get some GEC L63 tubes.
This is the drivers I use. I don't even have a 6SN7 socket just two 6J5 sockets that I use the L63s in.
When I want a wormier sound I use the EL3N have EL3N to 6J5 adapters.

Jul 13, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #27,699 of 39,983
If you want a great sounding driver and have a dual 6J5 adapter get some GEC L63 tubes.
This is the drivers I use. I don't even have a 6SN7 socket just two 6J5 sockets that I use the L63s in.
When I want a wormier sound I use the EL3N have EL3N to 6J5 adapters.

I have a pair on the way, Glenn! In part because of your recommendation, thanks :)

Jul 13, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #27,700 of 39,983
For those who have heard the famed Mullard ECC32, where does it fall in the ranks of other 6SN7 types in the GOTL? Is there another non-Mullard it is somewhat similar to in terms of character?

I’ve heard the Mullard ECC35s and they are my favorite tube compared to the others. Great for neutral to bright headphones. Top end rolled off but not to the extent as the RCAs. One of biggest sound stage of all the tubes I own. Great holography, tone/timbre, sweet mids/vocals, instrument separation and great bass. There’s nothing really much that that this tube does wrong.

Jul 13, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #27,701 of 39,983
I’ve heard the Mullard ECC35s and they are my favorite tube compared to the others. Great for neutral to bright headphones. Top end rolled off but not to the extent as the RCAs. One of biggest sound stage of all the tubes I own. Great holography, tone/timbre, sweet mids/vocals, instrument separation and great bass. There’s nothing really much that that this tube does wrong.

I feel the same way about all of the Mullard drivers...all are great throughout the spectrum.
Different amplification factors, but they all sound sublime.

ECC31, ECC32,ECC33,ECC35 take your pick.along with a few others I would say they are about as good as you can get....pricey though.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #27,702 of 39,983

Hmm, given the cocobolo Auteur is my most used headphone, that might be a great fit. Midrange centric with a slightly rolled off top is very close to my preference.

I feel the same way about all of the Mullard drivers...all are great throughout the spectrum.
Different amplification factors, but they all sound sublime.

ECC31, ECC32,ECC33,ECC35 take your pick.along with a few others I would say they are about as good as you can get....pricey though.

Would you say the ECC31 and ECC32 are distinctly different, or pretty similar? I'm unsure how much splitting the cathode in two would affect the sound.

Jul 13, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #27,703 of 39,983
With the adapter that the ECC31 uses I have heard that it runs to a more optimum bias than ECC32...I can not confirm that though.

I do believe that the sound is not distinctly different, but I have not really not spent a whole lot of time A/B between the two.

I have really not A/B between any of the Mullard tubes much. I love them all....at times I think I like the ECC33 the best, other times I think I like the ECC31 or ECC32 the best.
Probably depends on phones, music ect.

Many say that the ECC35 is the best of the 6SL7 tube....but I have no other 6SL7 to compare.

At the price point of the ECC31, I would probably get this tube compared to others in this range...I am really a fan of TSBGRP though.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #27,704 of 39,983
With the adapter that the ECC31 uses I have heard that it runs to a more optimum bias than ECC32...I can not confirm that though.

I do believe that the sound is not distinctly different, but I have not really not spent a whole lot of time A/B between the two.

I have really not A/B between any of the Mullard tubes much. I love them all....at times I think I like the ECC33 the best, other times I think I like the ECC31 or ECC32 the best.
Probably depends on phones, music ect.

Many say that the ECC35 is the best of the 6SL7 tube....but I have no other 6SL7 to compare.

At the price point of the ECC31, I would probably get this tube compared to others in this range...I am really a fan of TSBGRP though.

Gotcha, the ECC31 is the real bargain from the bunch. I would imagine the ECC31/32 are very similar, and those ECC32s go for BIG bucks. The TSBGRP is a favorite of mine too. I'll have to give it some thought, thanks Joe.

I'm off to see the Cleveland Orchestra at Blossom Music Center tonight, outdoor venue. Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky, and Mussorgsky for any classical fans. Live classical is powerful, great way to spend a summer night!

Jul 13, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #27,705 of 39,983
Gotcha, the ECC31 is the real bargain from the bunch. I would imagine the ECC31/32 are very similar, and those ECC32s go for BIG bucks. The TSBGRP is a favorite of mine too. I'll have to give it some thought, thanks Joe.

I'm off to see the Cleveland Orchestra at Blossom Music Center tonight, outdoor venue. Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky, and Mussorgsky for any classical fans. Live classical is powerful, great way to spend a summer night!

It sure is, have fun.

I have seen Joe Bonamassa and Tom Petty and Steve Winwood there, it is a great place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back