2359glenn | studio
Aug 26, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #22,021 of 39,983
Hi Phantaminum,
Congrats on your new amp! Mine looks exactly the same, but I am not sure if you have the preamp out jacks on the back that I have.
IMHO I think it sounds even better now than in the beginning, and I think that it benefits from breaking in - how long time you need I don't know. In addition, every tube sounds good with the GOTL and 6x6BX7, and I find the differences subtle between some tubes where I was able to hear big difference with other amps.
Everybody seems to rave about the TS 12SN7GT BGRP. I managed to snag a TS 6SN7 BGRP - does it sound the same?
Does anybody know if there is a formula for calculating the amplification factor when you mix power tubes? As an example, a pair of 6080 with a pair of 6SN7 or 4x6SN7? Even with 6080 and 4x6SN7 with current draw is less than 8A.

You need to grab a 12SN7 and let the society know. :)

Aug 26, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #22,022 of 39,983
I am onto 6 x 6BL7gt with Gec B36. Well I have a mixture of brands here but they are all supposed to be Sylvania.

2 x Sylvania 6BL7gta
2 x Sylvania 6BL7gt
1 x Tung Sol 6BL7gta
1 x Westinghouse 6BL7gta

All new tubes and there is zip noise. Total silence. Remarkable indeed.

I was quite blown away by the complete Gec tubes combo mentioned above. Switching to these 6 x 6BL7gta/gt, what do I expect? I was equally blown away by these much cheaper tubes, if not more. :)

What's the difference? The Gec combo is lusher, airier and very good layers. It's mistle, holographic tone is mesmerising. The 6BL7s are tighter, more dynamic and precise, more cutting edge. I cannot equate these to solid state amp sound because the tube tone is ever present and sweet. However it feels more alive and agile than the Gec combo. I really love the 6BL7s (that applies to the 6BX7s too). I am not even talking about price because I'm evaluating strictly on how I like the tone of these 2 sets. So ... both are really gorgeous tone but I prefer the 6BL7s and that's quite remarkable. As usual, your mileage may vary.

I think these may sounds great in your amp. Too bad it's very difficult to find batch of 6bl7s now. :)

IMG_20180826_093422.jpg

Aug 26, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #22,023 of 39,983
Hi Phantaminum,
Congrats on your new amp! Mine looks exactly the same, but I am not sure if you have the preamp out jacks on the back that I have.
IMHO I think it sounds even better now than in the beginning, and I think that it benefits from breaking in - how long time you need I don't know. In addition, every tube sounds good with the GOTL and 6x6BX7, and I find the differences subtle between some tubes where I was able to hear big difference with other amps.
Everybody seems to rave about the TS 12SN7GT BGRP. I managed to snag a TS 6SN7 BGRP - does it sound the same?
Does anybody know if there is a formula for calculating the amplification factor when you mix power tubes? As an example, a pair of 6080 with a pair of 6SN7 or 4x6SN7? Even with 6080 and 4x6SN7 with current draw is less than 8A.

Hey Mordy! It's exactly the same as yours and the Glenn Super 11. :)

I unfortunately don't have the preamp out (which I was thinking of requesting) but only because we haven't settled down on a home yet. Job is taking me everywhere. I think I may request it next year once we zero in on a place. I'd love to hear how it sounds as a preamp to speakers.

The Tung Sol BGRP 6C8G variants were my favorite when I owned Mjolnir 2 and currently owned MCTH but I find that I'm really enjoying the Sylvanias more in the GOTL. I mean I really fell in love with the TS sound and feel like I'm cheating on it. Definitely sounds different in the GOTL.

@rnros Thanks for making me go down the rabbit hole. I was happily content with the MJ2 and then you had me try the Ken-Rad 6C8Gs which opened my eyes to how big a tube can sound. After than it was all downhill. Thanks for answering all my questions as well and everyone else in this thread that keep providing great information.

Aug 26, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #22,024 of 39,983
I am onto 6 x 6BL7gt with Gec B36. Well I have a mixture of brands here but they are all supposed to be Sylvania.

2 x Sylvania 6BL7gta
2 x Sylvania 6BL7gt
1 x Tung Sol 6BL7gta
1 x Westinghouse 6BL7gta

All new tubes and there is zip noise. Total silence. Remarkable indeed.

I was quite blown away by the complete Gec tubes combo mentioned above. Switching to these 6 x 6BL7gta/gt, what do I expect? I was equally blown away by these much cheaper tubes, if not more. :)

What's the difference? The Gec combo is lusher, airier and very good layers. It's mistle, holographic tone is mesmerising. The 6BL7s are tighter, more dynamic and precise, more cutting edge. I cannot equate these to solid state amp sound because the tube tone is ever present and sweet. However it feels more alive and agile than the Gec combo. I really love the 6BL7s (that applies to the 6BX7s too). I am not even talking about price because I'm evaluating strictly on how I like the tone of these 2 sets. So ... both are really gorgeous tone but I prefer the 6BL7s and that's quite remarkable. As usual, your mileage may vary.

6BL7 better then 6BX7 sound???

Aug 26, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #22,025 of 39,983
@rnros Thanks for making me go down the rabbit hole. I was happily content with the MJ2 and then you had me try the Ken-Rad 6C8Gs which opened my eyes to how big a tube can sound. After than it was all downhill. Thanks for answering all my questions as well and everyone else in this thread that keep providing great information.

You're welcome! Hard to believe now, but the GOTL will continue to improve over the next 6 to 9 months. :)

Aug 26, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #22,026 of 39,983
Hey Mordy! It's exactly the same as yours and the Glenn Super 11. :)

I unfortunately don't have the preamp out (which I was thinking of requesting) but only because we haven't settled down on a home yet. Job is taking me everywhere. I think I may request it next year once we zero in on a place. I'd love to hear how it sounds as a preamp to speakers.

The Tung Sol BGRP 6C8G variants were my favorite when I owned Mjolnir 2 and currently owned MCTH but I find that I'm really enjoying the Sylvanias more in the GOTL. I mean I really fell in love with the TS sound and feel like I'm cheating on it. Definitely sounds different in the GOTL.

Hi P,
You may be able to use the headphone out as a preamp output, but better ask Glenn first.

Aug 26, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #22,027 of 39,983
Hi my phone,
Is there any possibility that these tubes will sound as good as the 6SN7W?

Mordy, my impression is based on listening on a different amp.

Both sylvania 12SN7GT and 6SN7w (short bottle) are great tubes, different sounding. 12SN7GT sounds just like 6SN7GT, refine and sweat; 6SN7w is detail and immediate.

Depends on phone pairing and music, one may prefer one tube over another.

Somewhat similar to GEC 6AS7 and GEC 6080. To my ears, GEC 6AS7s pair better with HD 800 and HD600, while GEC 6080s pair better with T1 and HD6XX.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #22,028 of 39,983
No, I did not snag this pair of Tung Sol 6SN7BGRP for $14 shipped....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-TUNG-SOL...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

And not this one either - a 12SN7GT BGRP for $10.50 shipped?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tung-Sol-1...812903?hash=item3d6e8e1f27:g:eh4AAOSw1ktbX04O
Does anybody have any suggestion on how to monitor eBay for good buy- it -now deals? If you sign up for notifications they will email you once a day during the night - can't check up all the time......

Aug 26, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #22,030 of 39,983

Both sylvania 12SN7GT and 6SN7w (short bottle) are great tubes, different sounding. 12SN7GT sounds just like 6SN7GT, refine and sweat; 6SN7w is detail and immediate.

Somewhat similar to GEC 6AS7 and GEC 6080. To my ears, GEC 6AS7s pair better with HD 800 and HD600, while GEC 6080s pair better with T1 and HD6XX.

Hi mp,
I have a Sylvania 6SN7WGT. Would you know how it sounds in relation to the above Sylvania variants?

Aug 26, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #22,031 of 39,983
6BL7 better then 6BX7 sound???

I have a slight preference on the 6bx7 over the 6bl7 but I get to the point where I don't mind using either sets. The main problem is being able to get a complete set but as I have shown in my 6bl7 set, it doesn't have to be the same brand. I even have gta mixed with gt. It sounds coherent and there are no anomaly in the resultant tone.

The most obvious difference is the 6bl7 is louder and as a consequence, it feels sharper and more vivid than the 6bx7. Here is where the partnering choice of driver is important. If you're using c3g, it's best to select 6bx7.

Aug 26, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #22,032 of 39,983
Hi mp,
I have a Sylvania 6SN7WGT. Would you know how it sounds in relation to the above Sylvania variants?

Allow me to chime in here. I have the 6sn7wgt as well, way before I own the 6sn7w. They do not sound similar at all. Most Sylvania 6sn7 are quite pronounced in the high notes but the 6sn7wgt seems a bit more dialled back. Sylvania 6sn7 are never prominent in their bass. In fact one could say that it's a bit lacking there but the 6sn7w is different. It's detailed, dynamic, wide soundstage and great bass. None of the Sylvania 6sn7 will ever come close to the 6sn7w.

Aug 26, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #22,034 of 39,983
Allow me to chime in here. I have the 6sn7wgt as well, way before I own the 6sn7w. They do not sound similar at all. Most Sylvania 6sn7 are quite pronounced in the high notes but the 6sn7wgt seems a bit more dialled back. Sylvania 6sn7 are never prominent in their bass. In fact one could say that it's a bit lacking there but the 6sn7w is different. It's detailed, dynamic, wide soundstage and great bass. None of the Sylvania 6sn7 will ever come close to the 6sn7w.
Hi UT,
Thanks for your clarification. Is the sound of the Sylvania 6SN7W similar to the Tung Sol 6/12SN7GT BGRP?

Aug 26, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #22,035 of 39,983
These 2 tubes are unlikely cousins. :) Some tubes you might say there are just slight subtle differences but not these 2.

6sn7w is leaner, more defined and dynamic. Bgrp is lusher and more all rounder. Both great tubes in the GOTL. However given the price of a NOS 6sn7w now, I'd rather pick up the Gec B36 new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back