2359glenn | studio
Jul 5, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #39,616 of 39,983
I don't believe that Tung-Sol ever made all-metal tubes. Given that they were more expensive to manufacture and required specialized factory equipment, many manufacturers, especially the the smaller ones like Tung-Sol, passed. Although, some companies simply mounted a glass octal inside a metal shell. :)

So I'm inclined to believe that Mordy's Tung-Sol is a relabeled RCA.
Right now I am using a pair of metal 6J5 tubes, both are labeled Tung Sol and from January 1944. One has the RCA rim markings and the other one not. They sound a little different with the Tung Sol tube having more bass.
IMHO it seems plausible that Tung Sol made metal tubes since such tubes were in production from 1935 until at least the end of the 40's.

Jul 5, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #39,617 of 39,983
@2359glenn...........................................................where are you? Hope doing well.
If so, please care to respond.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #39,618 of 39,983
@2359glenn...........................................................where are you? Hope doing well.
If so, please care to respond.
Anyone heard from Glenn in 2022 at all?
Last I heard from him was literally Dec. 31, 2021...

Jul 5, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #39,619 of 39,983
Anyone heard from Glenn in 2022 at all?
Last I heard from him was literally Dec. 31, 2021...
No man! As far as I recall.... many customers with a commitment but no output. Not sure what we did wrong to deserve this :), a financial loss to all who paid some advance.

Jul 5, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #39,620 of 39,983
What is the best way to fix a loose tube base? The tube works fine but the base moves. I assume I should use an epoxy or silicone? Can someone recommend something?
My preference is clear nail polish. A drop at each end into the crack between the glass and base then quickly wipe the extra off the glass. There's a debate about whether you want something hard or soft to account for thermal expansion of the glass but I haven't had an issue yet using the nail polish. I suspect many of the rubberized superglues would lose their bond from the heat too.

Jul 5, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #39,621 of 39,983
Speaking of that, is there a 6j5 equivelant to the Tung Sol BGRP? Photo please if you got it.
Tung-Sol never made a round plate 6J5 (though quite a few people did, Sylvania, Raytheon, National Union for starters). They did make a ladder plate 6J5 that I personally think sounds good, you can find them in both the older coke bottle "G" style and the newer ST glass with metal base.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #39,622 of 39,983
My preference is clear nail polish. A drop at each end into the crack between the glass and base then quickly wipe the extra off the glass. There's a debate about whether you want something hard or soft to account for thermal expansion of the glass but I haven't had an issue yet using the nail polish. I suspect many of the rubberized superglues would lose their bond from the heat too.
Just for clarification, are you using nail polish or nail polish remover? I have been using remover with great result..the idea is the remover will soften the original compound and harden it again when dried. Yes, it only works best when the old compound is still present and have not fallen off. One last thing to note, based on my experience...after applying the remover and before it dried, there is a chance there are shorts between the pins. I have no ideas why but this happened to me a couple of times checking with a multimeter right after the application. Thought the tubes are bad but turned out to be fine after the compound is dried. I am still wondering what causes the conduction as I believe the compound is a non conductor.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #39,623 of 39,983
Speaking of that, is there a 6j5 equivelant to the Tung Sol BGRP? Photo please if you got it.

Unfortunately , I only own the metal base 6J5GT Tung Sol tubes, and they are the ladder plates.
They sound nice, but I would not say they are equivalent to BGRP. I don't own any of the 6J5 coke bottle tubes.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #39,624 of 39,983
Just for clarification, are you using nail polish or nail polish remover? I have been using remover with great result..the idea is the remover will soften the original compound and harden it again when dried. Yes, it only works best when the old compound is still present and have not fallen off. One last thing to note, based on my experience...after applying the remover and before it dried, there is a chance there are shorts between the pins. I have no ideas why but this happened to me a couple of times checking with a multimeter right after the application. Thought the tubes are bad but turned out to be fine after the compound is dried. I am still wondering what causes the conduction as I believe the compound is a non conductor.
Clear polish, not remover. Perhaps the remover isn't drying quickly enough and is conducting? I can't think of any other explanation for such a phenomenon.

Jul 6, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #39,625 of 39,983
Clear polish, not remover. Perhaps the remover isn't drying quickly enough and is conducting? I can't think of any other explanation for such a phenomenon.
The only explanation is there could be some metallic minerals in the remover. Though the multimeter detected shorts but the readings are always very weak.

Jul 6, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #39,626 of 39,983

As soon as I apply the liquid nail polish and stabilize the base and bottle with rubber bands, I store it upside down for 24 hours to prevent the liquid from dribbling down into the base. That said, I have never checked a tube with a multimeter immediately after the application....

Jul 6, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #39,627 of 39,983
Unfortunately , I only own the metal base 6J5GT Tung Sol tubes, and they are the ladder plates.
They sound nice, but I would not say they are equivalent to BGRP. I don't own any of the 6J5 coke bottle tubes.

They are nice. Not spectacular in my amp though. Nice mids, good bass, but the top end is rather soft (which is not the case with the GT's).

VT94A Tung Sol.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back