2359glenn | studio
Mar 24, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #35,866 of 39,934
If anybody is interested in the classic Sennheiser HD-250 headphone, there is a set for sale on eBay for possibly a low price: (look at the bottom of the list for a set starting at $50 + $15 shipping - no bids so far): https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...RS2&_nkw=sennheiser+hd250+headphones&_sacat=0
1585068428510.png

Mar 24, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #35,867 of 39,934
If anybody is interested in the classic Sennheiser HD-250 headphone, there is a set for sale on eBay for possibly a low price: (look at the bottom of the list for a set starting at $50 + $15 shipping - no bids so far): https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...RS2&_nkw=sennheiser+hd250+headphones&_sacat=0
Ive had a few comments left on my YouTube channel that state that the Linear l is preferred over the Linear ll. IIRC the mids on the one are better and the ll is more bass/treble centric. I havent heard the ll,so I can neither confirm nor deny.

Ive also typed with a few owners that their particular pair are rather harsh sounding and not at all sounding the way Ive described them. Another owner messaged me with some measurements showing his pair had no bass. So it seems like the HD250 can be hit or miss depending upon the individual headphone itself,but for $50.00 it might be worth it.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #35,868 of 39,934
Ive had a few comments left on my YouTube channel that state that the Linear l is preferred over the Linear ll. IIRC the mids on the one are better and the ll is more bass/treble centric. I havent heard the ll,so I can neither confirm nor deny.

Ive also typed with a few owners that their particular pair are rather harsh sounding and not at all sounding the way Ive described them. Another owner messaged me with some measurements showing his pair had no bass. So it seems like the HD250 can be hit or miss depending upon the individual headphone itself,but for $50.00 it might be worth it.
I only have experience with the LinearII. The bass is great and I enjoy it very much.
As always, YMMV.....
PS: It took quite some time to break it in.

Mar 25, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #35,870 of 39,934
Well gentlemen, the time has come to say goodbye, I am selling my Glenn OTL.

I am announcing it here first for those that follow the thread, not sure what the interest will be given the current state of affairs. Before you read on, note that this is for contintental USA only and will ship by UPS ground. The tubes will likely be shipped in a separate package. As of right now, mail services are still up and running, so I don't expect there to be an issue. Unfortunately, I cannot go out and get the shipping materials, so I will be using UPS "pack and ship" services. The amp will be well-protected before they pack it further, but it will be expensive, the price includes shipping and fees. If it is still available by Saturday, I'll list it in the classifieds. I spent a lot of time, money (upwards of $600-700), and effort making upgrades/modifications to this amp, the price reflects that. It is $2000, all shipping and fees included. This is what I paid for the amp, before the upgrades.

Changes I have made:
- driver tube plate resistors changed to Kiwame carbon film
- driver stage coupling capacitors changed to Jupiter copper foil 1uF
- XLR inputs changed to WBT - 0210Cu Ms RCA inputs, which included replacing the rear panel
- Alps pot upgraded to Goldpoint V47 stereo
- simple rectifier/capacitor + dropping resistor for DC on the heaters
- C3g/pentode sockets replaced with 6J5/12J5 sockets
- all sockets replaced with Japanese QQQ phenolic octal sockets

In terms of the original features, it is HEXFRED rectified, includes the 6/12/25V switch on the rear panel (which also affects the 6J5 sockets for use of 12J5 tubes) and Lundahl transformer. There is no "5998 switch".

IMAG1977.jpg IMAG1979.jpg IMAG1978.jpg IMAG1395.jpg

I am including a tube starter pack, here it is:

Power:
2x Toshiba 6080
2x Svetlana 6H13C
8x Sylvania T-plate 6BL7GT (only one pictured, all NOS)

Driver:
2x National Union 12J5GT
1x Brimar 13D2 (25V equivalent to Brimar 13D1)
1x RCA 1633 (25V equivalent to RCA 6SN7GT)
1x Ken-Rad 1633 (25V equivalent to Ken-Rad 6SN7GT)

IMAG1982.jpg

If you are interested, shoot me a PM.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #35,871 of 39,934

I am announcing it here first for those that follow the thread, not sure what the interest will be given the current state of affairs. Before you read on, note that this is for contintental USA only and will ship by UPS ground. The tubes will likely be shipped in a separate package. As of right now, mail services are still up and running, so I don't expect there to be an issue. Unfortunately, I cannot go out and get the shipping materials, so I will be using UPS "pack and ship" services. The amp will be well-protected before they pack it further, but it will be expensive, the price includes shipping and fees. If it is still available by Saturday, I'll list it in the classifieds. I spent a lot of time, money (upwards of $600-700), and effort making upgrades/modifications to this amp, the price reflects that. It is $2000, all shipping and fees included. This is what I paid for the amp, before the upgrades.

Changes I have made:
- XLR inputs changed to WBT - 0210Cu Ms RCA inputs, which included replacing the rear panel

In terms of the original features, it is HEXFRED rectified, includes the 6/12/25V switch on the rear panel (which also affects the 6J5 sockets for use of 12J5 tubes) and Lundahl transformer. There is no "5998 switch".

Power:
2x Toshiba 6080
2x Svetlana 6H13C

Driver:
2x National Union 12J5GT

IMAG1982.jpg

Great deal for someone not wanting to wait in line!

Mar 25, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #35,872 of 39,934

Changes I have made:

Power:
2x Toshiba 6080
2x Svetlana 6H13C

Driver:
2x National Union 12J5GT

IMAG1982.jpg

1_ You must be loving your new amp, and having been bitten by the "I'll make my own" bug, I am sure you will keep on that track.
2_ Following from 1, I imagine you have more amp projects coming...
3_ You have been a great community member here. I hope THAT part does not fade.

Mar 25, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #35,873 of 39,934

Changes I have made:

Power:
2x Toshiba 6080
2x Svetlana 6H13C

Driver:
2x National Union 12J5GT

IMAG1982.jpg

Wishing you good luck in selling the GOTL (should be easy) but I hope when you said goodbye you only meant the amp and not the thread - always enjoying reading about your projects and insights......

Mar 25, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #35,874 of 39,934
1_ You must be loving your new amp, and having been bitten by the "I'll make my own" bug, I am sure you will keep on that track.
2_ Following from 1, I imagine you have more amp projects coming...
3_ You have been a great community member here. I hope THAT part does not fade.
Wishing you good luck in selling the GOTL (should be easy) but I hope when you said goodbye you only meant the amp and not the thread - always enjoying reading about your projects and insights......

I certainly hope it is okay for me to hang around and keep talking tubes! I need a 2359glenn emeritus member card.

Yes, while it isn't perfect, I am very taken with my new amp, but the GOTL is fantastic as well. Its flexibility created a platform to do much of the learning that was necessary for me to build my own amplifiers, so I owe a lot to Glenn and his amp for making that possible. I definitely have the builder's bug, and a second amp is in the oven. But my house is too small for a whole bunch of amplifiers! Will be hard to keep that from happening anyway...my life will already be in danger from my significant other, I just can't keep them all.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #35,875 of 39,934
I certainly hope it is okay for me to hang around and keep talking tubes! I need a 2359glenn emeritus member card.

Yes, while it isn't perfect, I am very taken with my new amp, but the GOTL is fantastic as well. Its flexibility created a platform to do much of the learning that was necessary for me to build my own amplifiers, so I owe a lot to Glenn and his amp for making that possible. I definitely have the builder's bug, and a second amp is in the oven. But my house is too small for a whole bunch of amplifiers! Will be hard to keep that from happening anyway...my life will already be in danger from my significant other, I just can't keep them all.

I have a shed full of amps in various states some I repurposed the transformers in a new amp.
But have many that are functional but don't use them anymore. Can't keep them all in the house sort of why I started selling amps.

Mar 25, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #35,876 of 39,934
I have a shed full of amps in various states some I repurposed the transformers in a new amp.
But have many that are functional but don't use them anymore. Can't keep them all in the house sort of why I started selling amps.

Time for a "Glenn's shed" flash sale? Yeah going to be interesting to see what I do once the 45 amp is done. The logical thing would be to stop there, but I just don't know if I'll be able to. Going to have a drawer full of rare OTL power tubes and some NOS EL34 burning giant holes in my pocket...an OTL and/or a class A PP could be next, but I gotta take a break for a while. It's just so damn fun!

At some point I am gonna mess around with the EL34 in the 6A5 amp just to see if I like the sound. Easy reversible wiring change, strap it as a triode and will parallel a resistor on the cathode to get a reasonable bias point.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #35,880 of 39,934
It's when I hear of DIY builders using 833A tubes at 2000-4000 volts for a single ended amp that I shudder... The highest I'm ever willing to go is 1KV... :astonished:

If your tube amplifier can't kill you, what's the point? This one does look pretty sweet though :L3000:

Untitled.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back