2359glenn | studio
Mar 20, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #35,821 of 39,983
@Xcalibur255 oh really! They might be 6B4G, which are a close relative but different than 6A5G. The 6B4G is an octal base 6A3. The 6A5G differs from the 6B4G in that it has cathode sleeves, so it is indirectly heated, and the heaters are center-tapped and referenced to ground through the cathode. It is actually a really interesting tube! #1 you don't have to worry about hum or DC on the filaments since it is indirectly heated, and #2 you don't have to center tap your heater winding to cancel hum since it is built into the tube. The creation of the 6A5G was an attempt to reduce the noise of the 6B4G, but create a tube that was interchangeable with circuits built for it. So you get many of the benefits of a DHT without the tricky parts.

I could use 6B4G in this amp, but there will be some AC hum, maybe not a big deal listening on speakers though. Interestingly with the Visseaux 6A5G I have, I am beginning to think the internals are actually more similar to 6B4G. Difficult to see, but they may not have cathode sleeves and there is an audible hum when listening. It really isn't a major bother though and I doubt it could be heard when listening on speakers. I would be happy to have them if they turn up :) thank you.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #35,822 of 39,983
I need a couple of hours of music for some insanity.

Got a call from my wife at work yesterday and with all of the rain we had 6 inches of water in the basement.
Lost pretty much everything, now for the clean-up....yuk!

This new album has helped ease the pain, this young man is fantastic.
11204562_thumb.jpg
DSC02633.JPG

Listening very loudly with GEL3N and LCD-3

Mar 21, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #35,823 of 39,983

Got a call from my wife at work yesterday and with all of the rain we had 6 inches of water in the basement.

11204562_thumb.jpg
DSC02633.JPG

Sorry Joe, hope the clean up goes smoothly. That is a beautiful rectifier, thought about making an adapter so I can use the German 4V tubes.

Mar 21, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #35,824 of 39,983
Yes, Glenn...I have a nephew who is also acting the same. It likely WON'T get these young fellows. But, the cooperation of all is what is needed to keep this from infecting everyone.

There are a lot of TikTok videos of millennial's making fun of this...saying: "don't worry, it only kills OLD people".

I am not young, and am taking it, seriously.

The worst part is you can be pre-symptamatic but contagious, so your young co-worker could infect you before he knows he has it.

I think there's some "OK, Boomer" going on.

Mar 21, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #35,825 of 39,983
Curious what Glenn owners think about the impact of going with Jupiter coupling capacitors on the OTL, how do these affect the sound?

Mar 21, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #35,826 of 39,983

11204562_thumb.jpg
DSC02633.JPG

Really sorry to hear that especially during these dark times. Hopefully the insurance covers the material aspect of this major hassle.

Mar 21, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #35,827 of 39,983
Curious what Glenn owners think about the impact of going with Jupiter coupling capacitors on the OTL, how do these affect the sound?

This probably won't be much help, so I apologize in advance. I upgraded the caps in my GOTL from the Russian PIO to Jupiter. BUT, I made some other mods at the same time, which kinds of muddies the water. At the time, looks like I felt there was more "air and space" with the Jupiters, but admitted it was hard to say given I had changed the plate resistors as well, which oddly enough, altered the sound pretty significantly.

Here is my post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/2359glenn-studio.600110/post-15292223

I don't know WTH I was thinking using 1uF caps, 0.47uF likely would have been plenty, but hindsight is 20/20 after all. I would say that the Russian caps are quite good, especially if the difference is hard to detect, but if you will remain curious, might as well spring for the Jupiters and know you have some highly regarded coupling caps in the amp. A cheaper alternative to the Jupiters could be the Miflex KPCU-01 (axial) or KPCU-02 (radial), they are about 1/3 of the cost, assuming Glenn doesn't mind fitting them, they are more chunky.

http://www.soniccraft.com/product_i...uf-600vdc-copper-foil-polypaper-in-oil-p-5291
http://www.soniccraft.com/product_i...uf-600vdc-copper-foil-polypaper-in-oil-p-5312

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #35,829 of 39,983

11204562_thumb.jpg
DSC02633.JPG

Ouy, Joe!

Sorry to hear about a mess in the basement! Always something, as LG said, not fun while we are facing these dark days.

Hope cleanup goes quick and easy.

Mar 22, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #35,830 of 39,983

11204562_thumb.jpg
DSC02633.JPG

Sorry to here this what a pain cleaning up.
I see you went back to EL3N tubes for outputs.

Mar 22, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #35,831 of 39,983
Sorry to here this what a pain cleaning up.
I see you went back to EL3N tubes for outputs.

Thanks for all of the well wishes from everyone.

Yeah, clean up is a real PITA.
We have found out that our home owners insurance does not cover this because of no flood insurance...who would ever thought we need this where we live.

We lost the carpet and all of our furniture that we had down there. I lost a lot of music swag and quite a bit of music and many paper collectibles.
Thankfully the furnace , hot water heater, treadmill dryer, freezer, refridge and pc have survived...not sure about washer.
Thank God my wife caught it when she did...the neighbor had 18 inches!

My back has felt much better since walking on the treadmill, but the heavy lifting of taking the ruined stuff up from basement seemed to have tweaked it a bit.
I have had a heck of a time running from store to store to find bleach.
I guess at least the basement will be clean and smell good.

I put the EL3N tubes back in because I was ready to listen at some loud volume, because of my frustration and these tubes are very easy on the ears and they sound fantastic when cranked up.

Mar 22, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #35,832 of 39,983

We have found out that our home owners insurance does not cover this because of no flood insurance...who would ever thought we need this where we live.

We lost the carpet and all of our furniture that we had down there. I lost a lot of music swag and quite a bit of music and many paper collectibles.
Thankfully the furnace , hot water heater, treadmill dryer, freezer, refridge and pc have survived...not sure about washer.

My back has felt much better since walking on the treadmill, but the heavy lifting of taking the ruined stuff up from basement seemed to have tweaked it a bit.

I put the EL3N tubes back in because I was ready to listen at some loud volume, because of my frustration and these tubes are very easy on the ears and they sound fantastic when cranked up.
Sorry for the pain. Crank 'em up and be well.

Mar 22, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #35,833 of 39,983

We had a similar problem in 2015 and homeowners paid nothing, for the same reason. So I know that frustration.

Also know back troubles, be careful Joe and don’t overdo it!

Luck with all the challenges you face!

Glad EL3N amp helps with the stress.

:)

Mar 22, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #35,834 of 39,983

Sorry to hear about all the troubles - wishing you well and good luck! Re the washer, let it dry out thoroughly, and it will probably come back to life. I am sure you have fans going down there to help everything dry out.

Mar 22, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #35,835 of 39,983
Once again i am not getting emails notifying me of new activity in this thread. Its been about one week since I last visited this thread and came on today only to find that the Big Pink Elephant in the room everyone wasnt talking about has finally surfaced.

I told another Glenn owner a couple weeks ago in a PM that I thought the virus was already out of control and we werent being told the truth. In this case I hate being correct.

Due to not being able to drive because of my eyes I have essentially been a shut-in for the last six years. Sadly Long Island doesnt have affordable transportation,so I just stay home all day,every day. Im used to this stuff.

Then yesterday my beloved Angel of Light,Choo Choo was diagnosed with aggressive cancer. She had a seizure in my lap two nights ago so thats how we knew something really bad was happening. My wife and I cried all day long,and I sat upstairs with my Angel and watched as her breathing has rapid but shallow. She couldnt get off of the couch so I wanted to be there with her if the moment came. I stayed up until 5am watching TV with her,and then I was finally able to convince her to come to bed.

Today she seems to be feeling much better. Shes smiling and wagging her tail,and even ate some of my pizza. :)

Losing a dog is always difficult,but this dog has saved my life so many times I lost count. When I was ready to give up my thoughts would always go back to Choo Choo and I couldnt stand the thought of leaving her behind.

The vet says we may have days,weeks or perhaps months left with her. Im guessing she has had the cancer for awhile now as lately she has opted to stay alone upstairs ,whereas normally shes in my lap all the time. I had chalked it up to her getting grumpy in her old age,but the truth was much worse.

I dont know why im typing all of this here. I guess its therapy for me. I love my girl more than life itself.

66388427_387128912009296_5213021035170889728_n.jpg
0731181439_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back