2359glenn | studio
Dec 12, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #34,666 of 39,983
Haha. I went to bed very late two nights ago with no snow at all falling only to wake up seven hours later and everything was covered in white. Its about half melted today.
All of the cables for my shootout are here,and I hope to begin cable rolling tonight.

Dec 12, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #34,667 of 39,983
Haha. I went to bed very late two nights ago with no snow at all falling only to wake up seven hours later and everything was covered in white. Its about half melted today.
All of the cables for my shootout are here,and I hope to begin cable rolling tonight.

Haha....I just now noticed your location. Nice.

Dec 12, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #34,668 of 39,983
Things that are important to me when I listen to headphones,and what I will be listening for during my cable experiment are:
speed
staging width/height/depth
bass tightness
bass quantity
smoothness
dynamics
air
imaging

If im missing any aspect in the above list that you would like me to cover,chime in now please. :)

Dec 12, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #34,670 of 39,983
Apart from the how they sound like, could you maybe categorize them into different range of costs?
Yes of course I will be disclosing prices and names when all is said and done.
I will start a new thread for this experiment,and ranking them as far as best overall as well as best bang for the buck options.

Dec 12, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #34,672 of 39,983
Things that are important to me when I listen to headphones,and what I will be listening for during my cable experiment are:
speed
bass tightness
bass quantity
smoothness
dynamics
air
imaging

If im missing any aspect in the above list that you would like me to cover,chime in now please. :)
Hi Mz,
Perhaps you have covered the following two items in the terms you listed, but I am interested in the mid range and treble as well.
And then a quality that is difficult to describe (at least for me) which I call "soul" - meaning how the equipment communicates the emotional impact of the music.

Dec 12, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #34,673 of 39,983
Hi Mz,
Perhaps you have covered the following two items in the terms you listed, but I am interested in the mid range and treble as well.
And then a quality that is difficult to describe (at least for me) which I call "soul" - meaning how the equipment communicates the emotional impact of the music.

This is one of the most important aspects of the audio chain (I think) and one that is impossible to measure, except by a human. The question is A) are you measuring the ability of the interconnects to add soul that wasn't already there or B) measuring the ability of the interconnects to not destroy the soul that came from the rest of the chain? Maybe there is also a question C, but I can't think of it yet.

Dec 12, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #34,674 of 39,983
Yes,I will be listening for those aspects as well. Ive already discounted a particular cable for adding an edginess to vocals,yet in the name of science,I will be giving that cable its day in court.

Are we talking about PRaT here? Foot tapping ability? If so thats hard to measure in any way shape or form,other than my own personal idea of what makes my head bang. I mean if I wanna rock out and get my head and foot going I throw on this. Depending upon how a given cable allows this particular file to flow would be my definition of PRaT,whereas this might be utter garbage to you.

EDIT: and no,this isnt in the bakers dozen songs.

Correct me if im not understanding you.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #34,675 of 39,983
speed
bass tightness
bass quantity
smoothness
dynamics
air
imaging

By soul, I think they're perhaps referring to what I call organic-ness or lifelike-ness. Apart from that, impact (dynamics / PRaT) and frequency balance are all greatly the most important to me.

Dec 13, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #34,676 of 39,983
Seven hours later I have completed the RCA portion of the shootout. There were a couple very big surprises,and a couple disappointments.
For the sake of my sanity,I will choose a single RCA cable for the USB portion of the shootout,which will consist of five different USB cables.

At some point in the near future I will record the video,start a new thread and share links to the thread here and in a cpl other threads that I haunt.

Dec 14, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #34,677 of 39,983
Random question for you all: Has anyone here had experience ordering tubes from the India-based site https://www.nosaudiotubes.com/ or their ebay store "totempole_999"? A few weeks ago I ordered a couple tubes from them. I received the package, and it turns out they sent the wrong tubes. I've been emailing them, but they're not responding. Their ebay store is highly rated, so they seem legit... but I'm a little worried.

Dec 14, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #34,678 of 39,983
From what I read about them they are legit, but I do not have personal experience with them.
If they have not responded to your emails you should contact eBay resolution center and file a claim. You can also call eBay and ask them how to proceed.
No seller wants negative feedback and I am sure that there will be a good resolution to your problem.
Good luck!

Dec 14, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #34,679 of 39,983
From what I read about them they are legit, but I do not have personal experience with them.
If they have not responded to your emails you should contact eBay resolution center and file a claim. You can also call eBay and ask them how to proceed.
No seller wants negative feedback and I am sure that there will be a good resolution to your problem.
Good luck!

Ok, at least there's hope. Unfortunately I bought directly off their website, so I can't file an ebay claim in this case. I'll just keep hoping they respond...

Dec 14, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #34,680 of 39,983
Ok, at least there's hope. Unfortunately I bought directly off their website, so I can't file an ebay claim in this case. I'll just keep hoping they respond...
He's never responded to my emails. Try contacting him through his eBay account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back