2359glenn | studio
Dec 12, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #24,016 of 39,983
I was going to order a pair of these from this seller a few days ago, but unfortunately he does not ship to the U.S.A
Hey Joe. I can help if you want. I can purchase a pair (I'll need one myself for my future GOTL too) and then sell it to you in case. No problem for me shipping to the US safe and sound! I'm from Italy. They'll be NOS ofcourse as I won't be hanging them in my christmass tree or something lol :)
Consider it as an option in case he doesn't ship in the US! No monetary gain from me. Just happy to help you guys out and contribute to this very nice community.

@UntilThen
Thanks man for finding these out :)

Dec 12, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #24,017 of 39,983
Hey Joe. I can help if you want. I can purchase a pair (I'll need one myself for my future GOTL too) and then sell it to you in case. No problem for me shipping to the US safe and sound! I'm from Italy. They'll be NOS ofcourse as I won't be hanging them in my christmass tree or something lol :)
Consider it as an option in case he doesn't ship in the US! No monetary gain from me. Just happy to help you guys out and contribute to this very nice community.

@UntilThen
Thanks man for finding these out :)

That is a very kind offer, and if you are up for it then count me in!
I need a pair of tubes for the EL3N amp.
PM me the details and how much i will owe you and I can paypal you the money.

Much appreciated. :)

Dec 13, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #24,019 of 39,983
Well....... Looks like my GEL3N is getting some goodies
The Sophia Electric Aqua 274B is arriving next Monday and the EL8 tubes which UT recommended is probably on its way as well (however in my haste, I've accidentally ordered 2 pairs.. doh!). I've also managed to score a WE 422A from @auricgoldfinger !

Happy days ahead!

Separately I have also been thinking about what the ultimate, cost no object Glenn amp would be?

Dec 13, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #24,020 of 39,983
SI, you are going all out with rectifiers. Happy days indeed.

I did not start the EL8 trend. Credit goes to @rnros. With 2 pairs, you could run all EL8 in your amp.

Looks like my amp needs a sockets change soon and a health check. Glenn let me know when this is possible. :)

In the meantime I have to fall back on Jotenheim. :)

Dec 13, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #24,021 of 39,983

I did not start the EL8 trend. Credit goes to @rnros. With 2 pairs, you could run all EL8 in your amp.

Looks like my amp needs a sockets change soon and a health check. Glenn let me know when this is possible. :)

Hey UT, yup I find rectifiers makes a distinct change in character to the sound and I'm really looking forward to hearing the WE 422A & the Aqua 274B in a GEL3N. :jecklinsmile:

I'll likely only use the EL8 as drivers and sell the other pair to @whirlwind. Anyway I'm currently running the Sittard GZ34 with EL3N as drivers and EL6 as power tubes. This combo has a fast, punchy sound which matches really well with the Abyss. :L3000:

Dec 13, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #24,022 of 39,983

Do you want to go with Yamamoto??

Dec 13, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #24,023 of 39,983
Hey UT, yup I find rectifiers makes a distinct change in character to the sound and I'm really looking forward to hearing the WE 422A & the Aqua 274B in a GEL3N. :jecklinsmile:

I'll likely only use the EL8 as drivers and sell the other pair to @whirlwind. Anyway I'm currently running the Sittard GZ34 with EL3N as drivers and EL6 as power tubes. This combo has a fast, punchy sound which matches really well with the Abyss. :L3000:

If using the WE422A you really need a adapter to get the best out of it. The 422A has pins 2 and 8 reversed compared to all rectifiers.
Even though it will work without the adapter it will add 5 volts of hum to the B+ voltage.

Dec 13, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #24,024 of 39,983
Do you want to go with Yamamoto??

Yanamoto all the way! Those sockets on the GEL3N are smooth! BTW, can I change my rectifier socket to the Yamamoto one?

If using the WE422A you really need a adapter to get the best out of it. The 422A has pins 2 and 8 reversed compared to all rectifiers.
Even though it will work without the adapter it will add 5 volts of hum to the B+ voltage.

Thanks Glenn, would it damage the tube if I use it without an adapter? Are you able to make the adapter for me?

Dec 14, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #24,025 of 39,983
Yanamoto all the way! Those sockets on the GEL3N are smooth! BTW, can I change my rectifier socket to the Yamamoto one?

Thanks Glenn, would it damage the tube if I use it without an adapter? Are you able to make the adapter for me?

It will not heart the tube it will work but to get the lowest noise it needs the adapter.
I will make the adapter for you.

Dec 14, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #24,027 of 39,983
Glenn ever thought on building a balanced OTL amp? Like 2 separate single-channel monoblocks built into the same chassis. Or even 3 separate parts: 2 for the amp circuitry (3 sockets and an XLR output each) and one for the power source with the Lundahl and the driver tubes. Just a thought :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back