2359glenn | studio
Nov 11, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #23,284 of 39,983
What a beauty. Frontal shot please Glenn.

What are the 2 metal knobs beside the power tube.
You can adjust those knobs to set the bias for the power tubes. Let Glenn know what power tubes you are running, and he will tell you what the bias settings should be.

Thanks all for the kinds words regarding my tube system. It's literally taken me decades of purchasing/upgrading and lot's of trips to the post office to collect/drop off various pieces of gear over the years. All pieces are used or demo.

Shame I couldn't also squeeze in a pic of the Glenn 300B - but rest assured it's in the same room just around the corner on the left hand side.

Nov 11, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #23,285 of 39,983
You can adjust those knobs to set the bias for the power tubes. Let Glenn know what power tubes you are running, and he will tell you what the bias settings should be.

Thanks all for the kinds words regarding my tube system. It's literally taken me decades of purchasing/upgrading and lot's of trips to the post office to collect/drop off various pieces of gear over the years. All pieces are used or demo.

Shame I couldn't also squeeze in a pic of the Glenn 300B - but rest assured it's in the same room just around the corner on the left hand side.

The under side picture I posted is your Amp.

Nov 11, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #23,286 of 39,983
Hi hibosi,
You are right, I forgot that you can eat your cake and have it, too. You could order the amp with the rectifier socket, and then use a plug-in Hexfred.
So in my case I guess ignorance is bliss lol. It seems to me through my reading that rectifier tubes can be temperamental and that they sometimes blow up, more so than regular tubes.
For tone controls I use the tone controls in my ss preamp section, or sometimes cables. And with the Hexfred you can load in more tubes since the current draw is less from a Hexfred than a rectifier.

Actually, Mordy...
A full wave bridge of solid state rectifiers, offer more rectified current than tubes, therefore you have more current available to draw from.

:)

Nov 11, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #23,289 of 39,983
A little more news about the new Western Electric

Keep in mind that 300B were $800 a pair when the same fellow was making them in Kansas City 20 years ago. I suspect that this batch will cost quite a bit more.

~~~~~~~~
The anticipation grows each day with progress at the Rossville Works in full swing. Before long, fresh tubes will be available for pre-order.

We're checking big items off the to-do list each week that bring us closer to our December goal. Process coolant lines were installed, we ran a complete test of our new reduction ovens, two anode presses were serviced and cleaned, more electrical, hydrogen, nitrogen, CO2, and deionized water lines were run, and two degreaser units were switched on. See the latest factory reel below.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #23,290 of 39,983
A little more news about the new Western Electric

Keep in mind that 300B were $800 a pair when the same fellow was making them in Kansas City 20 years ago. I suspect that this batch will cost quite a bit more.

~~~~~~~~
The anticipation grows each day with progress at the Rossville Works in full swing. Before long, fresh tubes will be available for pre-order.

We're checking big items off the to-do list each week that bring us closer to our December goal. Process coolant lines were installed, we ran a complete test of our new reduction ovens, two anode presses were serviced and cleaned, more electrical, hydrogen, nitrogen, CO2, and deionized water lines were run, and two degreaser units were switched on. See the latest factory reel below.

Hi gibosi,
That WE clip did not tell you much about the new tube and how it is made. Found an old 1940 reel produced by Western Electric that is both informative and funny about how vacuum tubes work and how the WE tubes are made. It is also very interesting to be taken back in time almost 80 years.
I learned new things, such as about "the atomic community", midgets running in a crowded subway, and monkeys throwing pebbles.
And I learned that the official burn-in period of WE tubes was 8-16 hours and that their (broadcast) tubes were designed to last 50,000 hours!
If you have 21 minutes I recommend this movie.

Nov 11, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #23,291 of 39,983
Hi gibosi,
That WE clip did not tell you much about the new tube and how it is made. Found an old 1940 reel produced by Western Electric that is both informative and funny about how vacuum tubes work and how the WE tubes are made. It is also very interesting to be taken back in time almost 80 years.
I learned new things, such as about "the atomic community", midgets running in a crowded subway, and monkeys throwing pebbles.
And I learned that the official burn-in period of WE tubes was 8-16 hours and that their (broadcast) tubes were designed to last 50,000 hours!

Thanks for the video Mordy. I had a good laugh at the monkey's throwing rocks (coconuts?) at the bullseye. Really interesting manufacturing process.

Nov 12, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #23,292 of 39,983
I was looking at the specs of the EL11 and they are about the same as the EL3N.
So close it seems to be a EL3N with a different base.

Same DNA. https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_el11.html
with exception of its Y8A "steel-tube" base, the EL11 is fully identical with the EL3N of the Philips red series

Aside from base difference, EL3N is slightly warm whereas EL11 is more neutral.

Tubedepot has this to say about EL3N -
Longer lasting and great sounding, connected as triode this is the perfect driver for a 2A3 or 300B SE amplifier.

Nov 12, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #23,293 of 39,983
Same DNA. https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_el11.html
with exception of its Y8A "steel-tube" base, the EL11 is fully identical with the EL3N of the Philips red series

Aside from base difference, EL3N is slightly warm whereas EL11 is more neutral.

Tubedepot has this to say about EL3N -
Longer lasting and great sounding, connected as triode this is the perfect driver for a 2A3 or 300B SE amplifier.

Wow Tubedepot wants $99 for the EL3N I was getting them for $20

Nov 12, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #23,294 of 39,983
Hi gibosi,

Great Mordy!!!

"Freeing those electrons from the atoms that bind them"....

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back