2359glenn | studio
Sep 5, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #22,231 of 39,983
I heard it with the OTL amp, it was a small sample size...but I thought at the time that it could replace my HD800, and I like the HD800.
I have not heard it on the EL3N amp.
Which amp do you prefer it with Glenn ?

That is a good question.
The EL3N sounds great with the Auteur it's power and authority takes control of the headphone.
But I have just tried the OTL with six 6BX7s driven by C3g's the sound was so good it is hard to explain.
If you have both of these amps with the Auteur you have every type of music covered.
These phones are so good I haven't been listening to my HD-800s at all and they were my favorite phones.

Sep 5, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #22,232 of 39,983
Yesterday Juri of Germany contacted me. Said he read 170 pages of the Euforia thread, much of it from me - his words. Also said he followed my audio journey here. He wanted a headphone amp to drive his LCD-3 optimally. Showed me a picture of his main stereo system with Lampizator Golden Gate dac, Air Tight ATE 2001 Pre, etc. Quality stuff.

I said the Glenn OTL amp will drive the LCD-3 optimally. It drove my LCD-2f optimally. Then he ask me which Glenn OTL model. I said to tell Glenn this.

I think he has ordered a GOTL. Juri feel free to come on here and talk. You will find a lot more like minded people here.
he's got a fellow Pittsburgher sitting next to him! Where was this shot you know?

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #22,233 of 39,983
Actually using the RK tubes with the WA22 the Canadian made SET speaker amp uses a pair 6C33C
Mazda ECC804 as driver plus Mullard 6080's / one 6BL7 flat plate, per side as powers...

HD650's and the incredible band:

Thank you, Glenn!!

:)
Hi JV,
The closest I can come to your setup is this:
upload_2018-9-5_13-4-10.png

Driver is a 1974 Voskhod 6N23P (don't have a Mazda ECC804 yet but should be close), a pair of Mullard 6080 and a pair of Sylvania 6BL7 flat plates.
It does indeed sound great!
At first I tried with 11.3A of fire power (Voskhod, Mullard and 4 6BL7) but it did not sound good, which shows that too much of something may be too much....
With two 6BL7 the sound is punchy, quick, lively and engaging with very good detail, especially in the treble. The sound of a 1633 with 6x6BL7 has a sweeter mid range and is more laid back, but both combinations are tops.
So many choices.....

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #22,234 of 39,983
Hi JV,

Driver is a 1974 Voskhod 6N23P (don't have a Mazda ECC804 yet but should be close), a pair of Mullard 6080 and a pair of Sylvania 6BL7 flat plates.
At first I tried with 11.3A of fire power (Voskhod, Mullard and 4 6BL7) but it did not sound good, which shows that too much of something may be too much....
With two 6BL7 the sound is punchy, quick, lively and engaging with very good detail, especially in the treble. The sound of a 1633 with 6x6BL7 has a sweeter mid range and is more laid back, but both combinations are tops.
So many choices.....

Nice combination! I was thinking of combining two Chathams 6as7gs and two GE BX7s and see what sound came from them.

I feel like Dr.Frakenstein when I mix and match tubes like these.

How’s the Voshkod 6n23p?

Sep 5, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #22,236 of 39,983

Nice combination! I was thinking of combining two Chathams 6as7gs and two GE BX7s and see what sound came from them.

I feel like Dr.Frakenstein when I mix and match tubes like these.

How’s the Voshkod 6n23p?
Hi P,
There is only one way to find out how something sounds, and that is to try it lol.
As long as the total current draw does not exceed the capacity of the amp (in my case 13A) it should be OK. (Of course, the tubes have to compatible with the amp)
The 6N23P belongs in the 6DJ8 family. It has a good reputation for strong bass.
The reason I am using it instead of the ECC804 (which I don't have) is that one seller advertises an ECC804 that we think is a Russian made 6N23P; this tube does not look like it's European made namesakes:
s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ECC804-Int...BEAAOSwz~pZ-MHX:sc:USPSFirstClass!10952!US!-1
edward-van-sloan-as-dr-waldman-colin-clive-as-dr-henry-frankenstein-picture-id514895522

Note the four giant tubes on the right from the 1931 Frankenstein movie.

Sep 5, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #22,237 of 39,983
You guys are crazy you know I have never tried this.
Will have to. To see how it sounds nothing can be harmed so why not.
Waiting with bated breath to hear your reaction......
On further listening, this combination has something new to me. Sometimes you hear tubes that have real slam and attack in the bass; well this combo has it in the bass, but also the same in the mid range and the treble, if there is such a thing....
After listening to this I think that it is possible.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #22,238 of 39,983
Hi JV,

So many choices.....

Yes, very nice Mordy!! Love your picture :)

And am loving this combo in my amp too. Just Right, on many levels!! Not sure how close your V 6N23P is to the ECC804, but construction sure looks similar...

image.jpeg

Sep 5, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #22,240 of 39,983
That is a good question.
The EL3N sounds great with the Auteur it's power and authority takes control of the headphone.
But I have just tried the OTL with six 6BX7s driven by C3g's the sound was so good it is hard to explain.
If you have both of these amps with the Auteur you have every type of music covered.
These phones are so good I haven't been listening to my HD-800s at all and they were my favorite phones.

Thanks for the response Glenn....looks like I will have the best of both worlds once I get the new OTL amp.
I agree with you about the Auteur....even though my listening to it did not amount to much time, I really liked it...I thought the bass easily trumped that of the HD800

Sep 5, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #22,242 of 39,983
Thanks for the response Glenn....looks like I will have the best of both worlds once I get the new OTL amp.
I agree with you about the Auteur....even though my listening to it did not amount to much time, I really liked it...I thought the bass easily trumped that of the HD800

The bass kills the base in the 800s and I am a bass head this is why the 800s are put aside.

Sep 5, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #22,245 of 39,983
If that is the case...I think they are the same tube!

Not really. The Russian 6N23P is electrically equivalent to the E88CC or 6922. One significant difference is the amplification factor, 33 for the 6N23P/E88CC and 18 for the ECC804. And for comparison purposes, the 6SN7GT has an amplification factor of 20.

A typical double triode needs only 8 of the 9 pins available on a miniature all-glass 9-pin bottle. So you commonly see the 9th pin connected to a shield, as in the 6N23P and ECC804, or connected to the heater circuit, as in a 12AU7, allowing its use in either 6 or 12 volt devices.

Again, that listing of a 6N23P labeled as an ECC804 on eBay was just another example of mislabeling, which was and still is common, unfortunately. As always, Buyer Beware....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back