2359glenn | studio
Sep 1, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #22,171 of 39,934
Packed up the amp but before I did I tried the Svetlana 6H13Cs and a Fivre 12sn7 I purchased from another Head-Fier.

I’ve tried the brown base before and found them ok but these black bases sounded fantastic. I noticed that the black base doesn’t look at all like the brown base. After a little google search I found them to be a Brimar 12sn7.

Great synergy with cheap Russian power tubes and the Auteurs. Anyone know where I could buy more?

Sep 2, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #22,172 of 39,934
6x 6BL7 and ECC804...

And another Trio:

image.jpeg

These gents sound best on the HD650's...

Mazda ECC804 remains the "C3g like tone" tube..remarkably so, loving it.

Thanks to gibosi for suggesting the ECC804...

:)

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #22,173 of 39,934
Packed up the amp but before I did I tried the Svetlana 6H13Cs and a Fivre 12sn7 I purchased from another Head-Fier.

I’ve tried the brown base before and found them ok but these black bases sounded fantastic. I noticed that the black base doesn’t look at all like the brown base. After a little google search I found them to be a Brimar 12sn7.

Great synergy with cheap Russian power tubes and the Auteurs. Anyone know where I could buy more?

Best to get the Svetlana tubes
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-6N13S-S...600030&hash=item48b13e1af8:g:shwAAOSwZthbbA4n

Sep 2, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #22,176 of 39,934
Sep 2, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #22,178 of 39,934
Sep 2, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #22,179 of 39,934

I bought these. =) The guy actually took a VERY reasonable best offer price. Just you know...prepping for my OTL!!!!

In the meantime:

GLENN2.JPG

Been loving my time with the Gel3n. After sending Glenn the auteur he really brought out the most from it with the Gel3n. The impact, space and timbre is just a ton of fun and so life-like. As you can sorta see in the pic, I am running an old Brimar 5U4G that was made by GEC with the rounded base. I also have a skinny Mullard GZ37 that sounds wonderful per Glenn's suggestion! I have used a few rectifier's so far but to be honest they all sound so good in the amp that I'm just going to let this one sit for a bit before I really try to pick apart the differences. I'll probably go to the metal base GZ34 soon.

Also I am running it from a vintage Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 MK II which is just awesome. The combo is incredibly musical and lush without losing any air or space. I have a bit of a vintage DAC problem as well as the tubes too. My favorites are the EAD dac's and Sonic Frontiers SFD stuff.

I'll try to chime in more as I get more time with it!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Sep 2, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #22,181 of 39,934
I bought these. =) The guy actually took a VERY reasonable best offer price. Just you know...prepping for my OTL!!!!

In the meantime:

Been loving my time with the Gel3n. After sending Glenn the auteur he really brought out the most from it with the Gel3n. The impact, space and timbre is just a ton of fun and so life-like. As you can sorta see in the pic, I am running an old Brimar 5U4G that was made by GEC with the rounded base. I also have a skinny Mullard GZ37 that sounds wonderful per Glenn's suggestion! I have used a few rectifier's so far but to be honest they all sound so good in the amp that I'm just going to let this one sit for a bit before I really try to pick apart the differences. I'll probably go to the metal base GZ34 soon.

Also I am running it from a vintage Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 MK II which is just awesome. The combo is incredibly musical and lush without losing any air or space. I have a bit of a vintage DAC problem as well as the tubes too. My favorites are the EAD dac's and Sonic Frontiers SFD stuff.

I'll try to chime in more as I get more time with it!

That's a fantastic tube Zach and even for a great price! It'll sound good once you pop it in but after you put in a good amount of hours it'll sound fantastic once it opens up. One of my favorite by far.

That picture is making me lust after the geL3n once again. I bet that amp sounds fantastic with the Auteurs and the ZMF planars.

Sep 2, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #22,183 of 39,934
I just compared the Mazda ECC804 to the 1633, 13D1 and the TS BGRP...

This little tube has more bass tha any of the others....

Eye........like it!!!!

:)

I assume you have the RCA 1633? As in the case of the 6SN7GT, the Ken-Rad 1633 has a bit more bass...

But again, the ECC804 is largely unknown and under appreciated. Glad you are liking it. :)

Sep 2, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #22,184 of 39,934
Yes, RCA 1633, which is a fine sounding tube on its own. Believe ya when you say Ken Rad has more bass as thier VT-231's are wonderful.

I am rather amazed at the ECC804, Ken....it's a jewel of a tube....so glad you alerted me to it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back