2359glenn | studio
Jul 21, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #21,376 of 39,983
I am pretty sure that GE, Sylvania and Tung-Sol all manufactured this tube. I assume Glenn sent you one, so I encourage you to figure out which company manufactured it, and then pick up tubes from the other companies.

Thanks Gibosi ,Glenn said indeed he will include one . And I will do as you say, pick tubes, each from different brands, or at least different brandnames on them. This because I first need to learn the differences because of all rebranding.

Mmmm, I just realised who does rectifier rolling. :)

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #21,377 of 39,983
Thanks Gibosi ,Glenn said indeed he will include one . And I will do as you say, pick tubes, each from different brands, or at least different brandnames on them. This because I first need to learn the differences because of all rebranding.

Mmmm, I just realised who does rectifier rolling. :)

Maybe a 13D1/25SN7 instead of the 1633. A great sounding tube. Haltron made by Brimar.

Jul 21, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #21,379 of 39,983
I will search for one.

I am almost positive that this is the tube Glenn is talking about, and it is a very nice sounding tube and much harder to find then say an RCA 1633 tube.

DSC01340.JPG DSC01344.JPG

DSC01347.JPG

Jul 22, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #21,383 of 39,983
Looks great, such a nice and clean looking set-up.

Why no feet on your Glenn amp ?

Jul 22, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #21,384 of 39,983
Thanks kindly whirlwind. I'm only a few weeks in with the new listening room and quickly discovered flaws with gears being out of reach in-session; bad resonance. With tonight's new config, finally dialed-in!

The OTL is awaiting repair - I got as far as removing the feet. I need to re-solder rca input jacks. Don't have funds yet to buy iron; solder. Want to buy a decent one along with quality solder...perhaps Sep/Oct.

My next big project this autumn is to retrofit my HE-6 for banana plugs and use my delicious sounding Auditorium A23 speaker cables as headphone cable.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #21,385 of 39,983
Thanks kindly whirlwind. I'm only a few weeks in with the new listening room and quickly discovered flaws with gears being out of reach in-session; bad resonance. With tonight's new config, finally dialed-in!

The OTL is awaiting repair - I got as far as removing the feet. I need to re-solder rca input jacks. Don't have funds yet to buy iron; solder. Want to buy a decent one along with quality solder...perhaps Sep/Oct.

My next big project this autumn is to retrofit my HE-6 for banana plugs and use my delicious sounding Auditorium A23 speaker cables as headphone cable.

Thanks for the explanation.

How long is that table with your tube amps on it...it looks very sturdy. Is it aluminum ?

My son will be moving shortly and I will be taking over his room for my listening area.
I am pretty excited to get started on it...it will feel so good to get all my gear together and to get a nice comfy recliner so I can relax in the evening and enjoy a couple of albums.
It is a small room, but it will do the trick and give me my own space.

Everytime I see that old receiver of yours it brings a smile to my face....what a beast.

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #21,387 of 39,983
That's my aluminum foldable & feather-light workbench (Germany). Have used it magnificently around the home/garage for many years...continues to see multi-purpose duties. Recently, my gears crushed my second audio rack and a coffee table (for overflow gears) within a couple of months of each other (sigh). A closer look reveals current wooden rack caving in the center on all three shelves...uh-oh!

Beyond its use for standing, sitting, to clean ect., I absolutely love it for projects and temporary shelve space - reading books, magazines, artwork, where I can meticulously leave things as they are for a couple hours/days/weeks, fold up and put away when done.

Measures 40"x12" on top; 53" kicked-out; 19" in height.

Congrats! on earning your forthcoming listening space whirlwind. My vintage lovely (1978 Sansui G-22000) brings a smile to my face whether on or off.

Jul 22, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #21,388 of 39,983
That's my aluminum foldable & feather-light workbench (Germany). Have used it magnificently around the home/garage for many years...continues to see multi-purpose duties. Recently, my gears crushed my second audio rack and a coffee table (for overflow gears) within a couple of months of each other (sigh). A closer look reveals current wooden rack caving in the center on all three shelves...uh-oh!

Beyond its use for standing, sitting, to clean ect., I absolutely love it for projects and temporary shelve space - reading books, magazines, artwork, where I can meticulously leave things as they are for a couple hours/days/weeks, fold up and put away when done.

Measures 40"x12" on top; 53" kicked-out; 19" in height.

Congrats! on earning your forthcoming listening space whirlwind. My vintage lovely (1978 Sansui G-22000) brings a smile to my face whether on or off.
Always room to upgrade LOL:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SANSUI-G-3...ui+G-22000&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313
PS: Make sure to read the end of the description.....

Jul 23, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #21,389 of 39,983
Silent notes made audible...and visible! (audio musings from Silent One's listening room)

I've one hour to decide how to close-out my weekend. Either a three hour listening session or Netflix. Currently inside the LR and reflecting over my journal. Thought I'd share my run-time table for active gears in current use - notes from impressions remain unavailable at this writing. Just because none of you invited the 'silent one' over for breakfast - lovely cinnamon brown pecan waffles topped w/French butter or Ghee and pure Canadian Maple Syrup flowing down the sides, perhaps? Yes, please! - doesn't mean you can't share in my joy looking over my runtimes while enjoying your own breakfast.:fork_and_knife: :ksc75smile:

A bit of clarity - not shown are gears that were sold or gifted last few years with the Denon's being the exception for contrast at-a-glance when looking at the HE-6; HD650. And not tracking the music server any longer since I use it in many different ways outside the sessions. Further, these hours do not represent totals on the gears themselves. Rather, hours of use inside dedicated listening sessions with each piece.

22 juillet 2018

HE-6 (modded): 961 hrs
HD650: 588 hrs
D7000 @ 1,809 hrs (retired)
D5000 @ 1,926 hrs (retired)
Sansui G-22000: 562 hrs
Shindo Lab F2a Sinhonia: 544 hrs
Shindo Lab Aurieges MM @ 511 hrs

Wyred4Sound DAC-1 w/Low ESR caps: 2,340 hrs
Music Hall MMF-7: 82 hrs
2359glenn OTL Silver Hawk: 734 hrs
Sony SACD/DVD Player S9000ES: 73 hrs

Jul 23, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #21,390 of 39,983
So the day has come - my new GOTL arrived a few days ago, but first now I have been able to spend time with it.
upload_2018-7-23_13-26-33.png

This amp is totally different to what I am used to (Little Dot MKIII, Feliks Audio Elise and Euforia). It likes different tubes and tube combinations and headphones compared to the other amps, and it is so much more sensitive, like a tube magnifying glass.
If a tube isn't just perfect it will let you know. Loudly.
Started out with 6 x 6BX7. How do you figure out a bad tube among 7? In addition, when turning on the amp, there was a whole plethora of sounds that I did not hear before: pops, ticks, tinkling, howling and something that sounded like crumpling cellophane paper. And microphonics - just touching the volume knob sent the speakers into a tizzy....( Used a Tung Sol 6F8G as driver)
Oh my gosh, what did I get myself into? How can I find the offending tubes?
At first I just shook my head, then shut the thing off and went to sleep for the night. Yeah - that's the punishment for buying bargain lots of mixed tubes 6BX7 - GE, Philco (Sylvania) and RCA.
OK - next day: Time to try again. Looked over the tubes, checked for corrosion on the pins. And discovered that all of the 6BX7 tubes, no matter what brand, were made by GE. The sandblasted dots are the telltale signs.
Turned on the amp, and based on JV's advice, I just let it sit 20 minutes to warm up without headphones or speakers plugged in - the amp has to keep the pops and ticks to itself....
Turned it on with my $12 headphones plugged in. Just in case. Much more quiet, but not good. Used the balance control to confirm that the noise was in one channel. At least I just need to check out three instead of six tubes.
Tried tapping on the tubes and found one offender. Luckily, I have eight 6BX7, and put in a different one. Finally quiet. Until I touched the volume knob. Microphonics galore - must be the driver tube. Tapped on the driver tube - ouch! Tapped on the chassis, tapped on the volume knob - NYET. How can such a gorgeous looking tube misbehave?
upload_2018-7-23_14-5-48.png

Luckily I have another rebranded one (both are ladder plate, not RP). It did rattle, but I put it in, and no microphonics.
Finally, the GOTL showed what it can do - the best sound I have heard to date. Full bodied, great bass slam and very natural sounding - it just sounds right.
I am just getting used to the amp now. Decided on a very simple set up - a Sylvania 6SN7WGT and a pair of Cetron 6336B. Them big tubes get superhot - measured over 350F! Amazing that the chassis does not have any ventilation holes and only gets fairly warm but not hot with these tubes. As ugly as they are, I am using the socket savers to cool down the chassis (and I turned on my fan for the 6336s - the chassis is barely warm with the fan pulling away hot air).
This combination is totally silent at even loud normal listening levels and very little hum even at full tilt.
And here is today's question: How can I save the TS microphonic tube from the garbage heap? Any tricks to get rid of the microphonics? (The less expensive the better.) I read about high temperature silicon tube rings, but I'll rather buy them from a car parts shop than a Hi Fi web site - any suggestions? Or something else - heard about heat resistant silicone tape as well.
Have fun!

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-23_13-23-53.png
    upload_2018-7-23_13-23-53.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back