2359glenn | studio
May 19, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #20,266 of 39,983
Tubes all have very similar construction, at least as far as I can see.

My picture taking skills are poor in comparison to gibosi...he always captures the construction really well and I love checking out his tube pics.

As far as sound I can not comment, as I have not heard the GZ32 yet.

May 19, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #20,267 of 39,983
I can hardly keep up with the thread

Time has been occupied with this album ever since my pre order arrived early this past week
Album has been on a continuous loop :laughing:

May 19, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #20,271 of 39,983
Thanks for convincing me that capacitors have a larger effect on sound than changing tubes. With that in mind I started googling Dueland JAM and I came upon this thread.
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/jam-by-duelund

It seems that Jupiters copper foil paper caps is even more highly regarded. So Glenn I will talk to you about Jupiters caps. If it's no good, I can blame @rnros . :wink:

Anyway I had a rethink about what I want in the EL3N amp. The picture below where the HD800 sits is where I will put the GEL3N. Getting a large chassis isn't going to help, especially now that I don't want speakers output. Also I don't need 3 rca inputs. The only input will be from Yggdrasil. So I will keep it simple and smart.

So similar to this but with Yamamoto's sockets.

...and my music corner. The 2 amps side by side will be ideal.

@rnros is right the Jupiters are very good maybe better then the Duelund. I have use more Duelund but that is on request.
I have some Jupiters waiting for @whirlwind new OTL to be built.
What I found as long as they are paper caps not any type of plastic foil no matter how expensive the paper sound better.
I have tried $200 V-caps and the $2 Russian paper in oil sounded much better.

May 19, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #20,272 of 39,983
@rnros is right the Jupiters are very good maybe better then the Duelund. I have use more Duelund but that is on request.
What I found as long as they are paper caps not any type of plastic foil no matter how expensive the paper sound better.
If it's of any help, I went with a combo of Jupiter Copper and Mundorf silver oil in my Lampizator GA DAC.

May 19, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #20,275 of 39,983

Joe should be very happy with his OTL amp because the Jupiter copper caps looks good too. :)

Jupiter_Cu100-960.jpg

May 19, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #20,278 of 39,983
May 20, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #20,280 of 39,983
Hello folks, how's everyone doing? Sorry for the lack of updates as I have been away for the past week. I have managed to put in the straight bottom EL3 as the power tubes and honestly, it doesn't make much of a difference for me. However the EL3s are probably noisier when I have no music playing and on 2 tube mode. With music playing, it sounds really similar to the EL3N. I have since put back the EL3Ns which came with the amp as it was not my intention to roll EL3 tubes. Seriously, this amp is already beautiful sounding as it is and it is everything which I have expected it to be. Clean, drives my Abyss Phi with authority, has plenty of resolution for critical listening and is highly musical. I stand by my comment of the EL3N sounding really like a well-resolved SS amp with a touch of warmness. I agree with Glenn's comments on the EL3N matching really well with low Z headphones, the Abyss Phi (42 ohms) and TH900 Mk2 (25 ohms) sound fantastic with the EL3N. I think now I need an OTL to match with the higher Z cans (Auteur/HD6XX) but I can't wrap my head round the many tube combinations.

Running the EL3N with the different headphones which I have was really interesting and it is very easy to tell each headphone's strength thru the EL3N:
- Best HIghs: Abyss Phi
- Best Mids: ZMF Auteur
- Best Mid bass: ZMF Auteur
- Bass (Quantity): Fostex TH900 Mk2
- Bass (Quality): Abyss Phi
- Sound stage: Abyss Phi
- Resolution: Abyss Phi

I would also try to write a longer review down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back