2359glenn | studio
Jan 20, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #17,986 of 39,934
300B

On the slim chance that those who use the 300B haven't heard:

~~~~~~~

It is my distinct pleasure to announce that the WE 300B electron tube will re-enter production this year, in time for its 80th Anniversary. The famous triode was developed at Bell Labs in 1933 in the form of its predecessor, the 300A, which was modified, patented, and then produced at many historic works facilities beginning in 1938. The 300B has journeyed from the original New York tube shops, to the legendary Hawthorne Works, Allentown Works, Kansas City Works, then the Huntsville Works. The sparkling new tubes that will roll off the line this September will be assembled here in Rossville, Georgia at a new and reimagined electron tube works facility. Furthering our commitment to manufacturing excellence, we are installing new hydrogen reduction ovens, automated cathode cleaning lines, new laser welding systems, a state-of-the-art water deionization plant, and an updated testing system with improved accuracy. However, the 300B will still be manufactured from its original tooling and assembly specification standards.

Although we’ve invested in a modernized production line, many of its aspects will of course remain true to tradition. For example, the core material, the so-called “secret sauce” embedded in each cathode is derived from an original Hawthorne Works 1963 melt. Western Electric’s attention to each delicate detail and historic promise of quality place the WE 300B in a category of its own.

The new 300B’s will be priced at a reasonable rate of $1299 per matched pair or $599 for a single. They will also be available in quads and octets. Each tube ships with our peerless 5-year limited warranty starting September 1, 2018. By internal estimates, this is a conservative timeframe we can easily achieve, barring any unforeseen setbacks. A complex process like this involves many moving parts—literally—and we appreciate your patience.

In addition to announcing the availability of the 300B, I’d like to share some of our adventures in product development. Continuing our 80th anniversary celebration of the 300B, we are unveiling a new single-ended amplifier called the 91E, as an homage to its famous predecessor the 91A, first introduced in 1936. The 91E embodies a new proprietary Class A2 parallel feed current source topology (patent pending), combined with toroidal output transformers, and microprocessor controlled automatic bias. It will achieve in excess of twenty watts per channel—a never before realized level of performance for the 300B in a single-ended circuit.

Be on the lookout for a limited edition monoblock set of this amp topology called the 91C Metropolis. Only 500 of these beautifully designed 300B amplifiers will be available!

Western Electric has been working hard to give our followers big things to look forward to in 2018. This is just the beginning! The best way to stay in the loop is to subscribe to our exclusive 300B mailing list and by following our newly launched social accounts. Or maybe we’ll see you at the shows, starting this April at Axpona.

Stay tuned!

Charles Whitener | President, Western Electric
Hi gibosi.

Very interesting reading (and better than reading about the re-introduction of Telefunken tubes a couple of years ago, when it only meant rebranding Eastern European tubes).

However, this is my question:
Are you aware of any new re-issue tube that sounds better than the original?

Jan 20, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #17,987 of 39,934
Judging from the ladder plates and and the shape of the mica spacers, I suspect that your NU is actually a re-badged Ken-Rad. The NU 6F8G has round plates.

This Philco was manufactured by NU in the fourth quarter of 1943.

Ken is correct.

NU 6F8G is a good tube, but nothing special.

NU 6F8G.JPG

Jan 20, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #17,989 of 39,934
Hi gibosi.

Very interesting reading (and better than reading about the re-introduction of Telefunken tubes a couple of years ago, when it only meant rebranding Eastern European tubes).

However, this is my question:
Are you aware of any new re-issue tube that sounds better than the original?

I have never tried a new re-issue tube. But judging from the comments of some of the 300B enthusiasts here, some of the new 300B's rival the old Western Electrics in terms of sonics. But there are no re-issues of any of my favorite tubes, so I simply can't say....

Jan 20, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #17,994 of 39,934
Good news on the WE300B's. Cheaper than the Taks as well. I might have to take the splurge on these, though I've been doing well the last year with resisting the crack habit of buying more tubes.

The WE amps look interesting as well. Edit: until I saw the price: http://westernelectric.com/products/97a.html

They do include 16 WE300B tubes though! (8 a piece)

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #17,995 of 39,934
They don't call the 5998 the 'Benchmark' for nothing. :) Did you use two or four 5998? I think two is enough but four has the added force of the Jedi. :)

5998 and 7236 are definitely more than subtle difference.

Then there's the GEC 6as7g. Now you know why I have gone bananas in the 1st month, wanting to hear every single tube ASAP in the GOTL. Now I am more settled and am listening to music .... :gs1000smile:

I have used two at the moment. I will try four after few days to compare if there is any significant difference in sound which I doubt.

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #17,996 of 39,934
Good news on the WE300B's. Cheaper than the Taks as well. I might have to take the splurge on these, though I've been doing well the last year with resisting the crack habit of buying more tubes.

The WE amps look interesting as well. Edit: until I saw the price: http://westernelectric.com/products/97a.html

They do include 16 WE300B tubes though! (8 a piece)

Good news indeed. The Taks have risen in price very steeply since I purchased my last pair about 18 months ago - got quite the shock when I checked some prices a few minutes ago.

The WE300Bs are certainly cheaper, but I do wonder about performance vs the Taks. If these are true to the 'old' WE300Bs (as expected) then the Taks should have almost everything that the WE300Bs have in the midrange, combined with better extension in the bass and treble. I'll probably get a pair - just because its the WE300B legend - but I expect the TA300B to remain the better tube*.

* disclaimer - this is based on the thoughts of a tube colleague who has sampled WE300Bs from the 50s and the recent new product vs the 'old' TA300Bs (before the TA300B was improved by Takatsuki around 2 years ago).

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #17,997 of 39,934
Crikey I'm seeing $2500/pair USD. Makes ours seem cheap Tony :astonished: Should have stocked up lol.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #17,998 of 39,934
Crikey I'm seeing $2500/pair USD. Makes ours seem cheap Tony :astonished:

Yep. Puckered my sphincter quite a bit when I saw that price :triportsad:

Woo are advertising $1,900 USD for TA300Bs. Not sure they have stock on hand.

I think I paid around $1,300 USD for my TA300Bs in late 2016.

$1,300 -> $1,900+ in just over a year. That's quite an increase.

EL3N Glenn amp owners are entitled to feel a mild dose of smug right about now. 300Bs sound glorious, but the price for the best glass requires electroshock therapy to fully comprehend.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #17,999 of 39,934
My 1 million dollar question is how good is Glenn's 300B amp compared to Glenn's EL3N amp for headphone use (except HE-6 of course?) The problem with my question is I don't know if there is any one person (except Glenn) who heard both amps in his system.

Jan 21, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #18,000 of 39,934
My 1 million dollar question is how good is Glenn's 300B amp compared to Glenn's EL3N amp for headphone use (except HE-6 of course?) The problem with my question is I don't know if there is any one person (except Glenn) who heard both amps in his system.

Good question. Kinda curious about that myself. Any thoughts, Glenn?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back