$23 speakers at Best Buy that measure well and sound good
Dec 18, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #451 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The X-LS's sound better. I had a brief chance to hear a pair, even not broken in, and they sounded terrific for $200. I used to own the Insignia's, and they were also great, even incredible for the $35 I spent when they were on sale. But even though the two speakers were not in the same system, it was clear that the X-LS had the advantage, in many areas top to botom. You can try the AV123.COM web site, and dig through their forums for better opinions.

Another option, if you can find it used, would be a Sound Dyanamics RTS-3 bookshelf. My pair just found new life driven by a 50-watt Gainclone amp; they sound a heck of a lot better than they should; The Absolute sound was right in their praise of these.... But they're tougher to find sicne they're discontinued. Parts are still available (I replaced tweeters recently since my son had pushed the domes in some time ago).

Do you mind going into details when comparing between the X-LS and the Insignia's? I am thinking of getting some Insignia's for my basement and some X-LS for my main set up.

Jan 1, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #452 of 473
Jan 1, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #453 of 473
Hmm...now I feel like upgrading
frown.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #454 of 473
You're not on my boat then =/ . I've listened to good amounts of nice speakers like pricey Cantons (my uncle's with added super tweeters), B&Ws, Celestions, Tannoys, etc. And after listening to those, it just seems that these are extremely "crappy" speakers. I know i can't compare the Insignias against them (since it's like comparing a Hyundai to Ferrari's and Bugatti's) but it's just in my mind and i'm paranoid... "Bah, the bass sounds boomy" "Bah the mids are muddy" "bah whats with the highs?!"....

Jan 1, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #455 of 473
I still am using mine also, I played with these things in a few different rooms and in a few different style setups also.
The sound great esp for the cost but there is a major probelm I have been happening lately with them...

I had them setup at the foot of my bed and on three different times I fell asleep listening to them

I also had them in my living room and fell asleep twice listening to them again.

and I recently I had them in another part of the basement and fell asleep again listening to them.

thats atleast 6 different times I fell asleep listening to these..not sure why but I guess you can call them relaxing...or boring.
tongue.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 10:40 AM Post #456 of 473
Sup guys. I'm looking to get a bookshelf system for my room for when I've got people in the room and I can't use headphones to watch stuff/listen to mp3s on my computer, CDs and from my 360. I'm most likely going to use a t-amp.

I can get these for $40 for the pair right now at Best Buy, or I can get the Polk M10s used for $70 for a pair, that retail on CC's site for $140 a pair. I don't mind paying the extra $30 bucks if I'll notice a difference in quality though. Thanks.

Jan 1, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #457 of 473
i really use them now for professional mixing. to see what it might sound like on an average consumers system. my bookshelf speakers are micro utopia be and are smaller than these but weigh much more. there is no comparisen. i'd rather hope not. for $30 they rock. you cannot compare them to $5,500 speakers even if they are the same size. i used to think tiny speakers were highly limited no matter what, but there really is a huge difference. even at $300 these could be blown away. polk for instance.

edit: i think this, which i typed a few hours ago was stupid in retrospect. the newyears beverages were still in me. please excuse
smily_headphones1.gif

music_man

Jan 1, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #458 of 473
I am wondering if I can get these babies down to singapore? I think bestbuy don't do international shipping right?

I was hoping someone could find an alternative, or help me ship them here via the cheapest shipping service... :p

Jan 1, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #459 of 473
i jsut got a pair on the bestbuy 3 day new years sale. bestbuy is klind of dum (lacks b to emphasize stupidity) in that one store would not honor the web price, and another would. crazyness.

anyways, they are pretty spiffy. i have only played them for about an hour off of my diy tube amp, but they are shaping up nicely.

im too "wowed" by the "hey its not in my head" efect of speakers to compare them to anything.

Jan 2, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #460 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by That dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am wondering if I can get these babies down to singapore? I think bestbuy don't do international shipping right?

I was hoping someone could find an alternative, or help me ship them here via the cheapest shipping service... :p

Hahhaa... You're better off spending a little more in your local area and get better sounding speakers for not much more than what you'll be spending for the Insignias and shipping.

Jan 2, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #461 of 473
one thing about these speakers is they look very expensive.
i seem to think they used more than $30 of materials building them.
hard to understand really.

besides the stupid comment i made earlier to be realistic i did mention polk in that comment. entry polks or infinitys etc. are better imho. they don't look as good or seem to be built as well but they sound better. gofigure.

music_man

Jan 3, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #462 of 473
I'm sorry I'm just replying now to an earlier question about X-LS's versus the Insignia's. To be fair, it was at different times and systems in which I heard each. But it seemed clear to me that the X-LS wins in transparency, bass depth and quality, treble extension and detail (without harshness), and image focus within the soundstage.

Where I THINK the Insignia's would win is in the total soundstage size - width and depth. In my system, overkilled with Rega Apollo CD and Belles 250i integrated amp, they shone quite nicely for soundstage, making it almost eerie in size and sonic landscaping. However, the individual instruments and voices within the soundstage sometimes seemed a little loose and "fuzzy" at times (hence my thought that the X-LS's had better focus).

I've heard a few other relatively cheap speakers that - for not TOO much more money, and competitive with the AR's mentoined - would be pretty good. Getting a deal on an Athena AS-B1 or AS-B2 (series 1, or maybe even series 2) is a possibility. I also own a pair of Sound Dynamic RTS-3's that do some fairly amazing things with a good front end.

But thanks to all for keeping the information flowing, on the Insignia's and other inexpensive bargains.

Jan 8, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #463 of 473
Got these speakers on Friday because I had a total of $40 worth of Best Buy gift cards. Wasn't expecting much; had these speakers somewhere in the back of my mind since I discovered them through this forum, but never really felt the need to buy them since I essentially have no use for speakers. Before I get into my thoughts I must state that: 1. I have virtually nil experience with good speakers; and 2. My receiver is a total POS.

I would say that they sound almost as good as my KSC-35s but with crappy room acoustics, spiky treble, and slightly lower quality bass with less extension (obviously).

Maybe I'll eventually get a cheap, yet decent 100 watt or so receiver and perhaps a sub woofer. This whole "dealing with room acoustics" and "optimal positioning" extra effort stuff is something I hate about speakers, though, so I dunno if I'll spend any money on making these speakers sound better.

Makes me appreciate my K701 that much more, though.

Jan 8, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #464 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ordered a pair of 24" Sanus speaker stands from Kmart's website for $30. Not ultra-cheap, but less expensive than similiar alternatives from BB, CC, etc. as you mentioned. I guess if you want to really go bargain-basement, pick up four cement cinderblocks. I wanted something a little nicer.

To those who purchased the Sanus BF24B stands from K-mart: are they sold individually or as a pair for that $30 pricetag?

Jan 8, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #465 of 473
as an x-mas gift for my dad i put together an HT system with these... picked up 2 pairs and best buy and a yamaha reciever they had at bb on sale for $150 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1134703786117) and a JBL center (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1138085816196)

so all in all it was under $500

i made all the RCA>RCA interconnects using canare cable and canare RCA connectors... the digital coax connectors and video (component/comp) were all canare 75 ohm coax with canare crimp-on 75 ohm rca's...

after i put it all together i was really impressed, i put in a cd with the "5 channel stereo" mode and wow! it sounded really nice... im not gonna toss my headphones or anything, but for less than $500 i feel it sounded excellent... couldent be happier with these speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back