[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Oct 17, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #7,366 of 7,442
Oh welcome back~ zhibli06 !

by the way, I want you to make something like Original First VE Monk with Impedance: 32 Ohm again

it was the only Earbud in the world that sounds excellent natural, sounds great,and have realism instrumental body with my iPod Classic! (while Monk+ sounds better on other device)
I buy lots of them to modify on cable before but all are gone with my missing bag already :frowning2: ~

I'd really appreciate to buy something similar to Original Monk with 32 Ohm impedance again~

Oct 18, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #7,367 of 7,442
Oh welcome back~ zhibli06 !

by the way, I want you to make something like Original First VE Monk with Impedance: 32 Ohm again

it was the only Earbud in the world that sounds excellent natural, sounds great,and have realism instrumental body with my iPod Classic! (while Monk+ sounds better on other device)
I buy lots of them to modify on cable before but all are gone with my missing bag already :frowning2: ~

I'd really appreciate to buy something similar to Original Monk with 32 Ohm impedance again~

just to make it clear~
this is the original monk ~

https://www.facebook.com/groups/52vecn/permalink/3057982800945731/

the silver logo / black shell one is actually the 2nd gen.

Which had a lot of probs ~ (so as the original actually )

on the other hand, monk plus will sound better(requiring only the odyssey hd for 10usd extra ) and last forever.

but it has been like a LOT of years since the Monk plus, we might do some new.

Cheers

Lee

Oct 19, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #7,368 of 7,442
I have a pair of v1 with the right bud broken from the 2 wires coming from the diaphragm. I suppose that its more expensive try to repair this one than buy a new one right? But they are the v1 and I want to think that they have a solution... In any case, on few days I will receive my balanced monk 2nd gen but this is better than nothing, incredible how they sound for their price

Oct 19, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #7,369 of 7,442
Oh if you gonna do something new, please consider 32 Ohm impedance~

there are many headphone that sound great with 32ohm Impedance and very efficient, like Grado SR60~ Beyerdynamic DT770 (32ohm ver)~ Hifiman RE400~

and all are good enough on mobile device and ipod :3

Oct 19, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #7,370 of 7,442
Oh if you gonna do something new, please consider 32 Ohm impedance~

there are many headphone that sound great with 32ohm Impedance and very efficient, like Grado SR60~ Beyerdynamic DT770 (32ohm ver)~ Hifiman RE400~

and all are good enough on mobile device and ipod :3

I am not saying no to 32ohms,
we are making all kinds of samples to test and stuff.

but you do have ksc75 @ 64ohms ,and they are easy to drive as well.

impedance doesn't effect how easy it can be "driven" that much.

but a lot of ppl r trying to make the idea fly like "if they are 16ohms ,they are "easier to drive""

again , my Odyssey HD is 10usd only.

Cheers
Lee

Nov 1, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #7,371 of 7,442
Looks like Venture has an impressive deal now on their group, now all terminations cost the same and they send a free Cyberdrive Clarity Feather USB DAC with non-monk earbud purchases. I got one 2.5 balanced Monk for 5$ and a Zen Lite. Don't know how USB DAC performs yet but it has an XMOS chip and a Cirrus DAC.

chrome_Cysp9OThLj.png

https://www.facebook.com/groups/52vecn/permalink/3439174692826538/

May 30, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #7,375 of 7,442
Jun 18, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #7,378 of 7,442
So I know I've been away for a LOOOONG time. A few years actually. But I actually got my hands of the new Monk Go and a couple of other goodies and thought it would just be the honourable thing to come back here and continue the journey. I'll post some impressions very soon and will be updating the OP.

I hope the OG Monk crew are still around and get involved again. It would be awesome to get a discussion going as reading back what discourse we had here really puts a smile on my face.

Jun 18, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #7,379 of 7,442
Monk Go Impressions (18/06/2021)

Looking and reading back on this thread brings warmth to my heart seeing how the VE Monk brought us all together in such humble discussion. The Monk has gone through many iterations, whether in style, colour or tech, many of them sounded slightly and even drastically different. So it is hard to give a comparable impression on such an evolving ear phone.

So onto the Monk Go. I've only had them for maybe 3 days, so these impressions are super early but I couldn't wait to write something about them. I can't give a comparative impression until I find my original Monk stash which I've not listened to for quite some time. So here it goes. Please be kind as it's been years since I've written anything here.

The Monk Go sounds quite dynamic and full bodied, with a slight airiness to highs. The bass isn't in your face but it's all there. Even powering them with the Audio-GD NFB15, the bass goes quite low and stays flat through mid bass with a tiny bit of a hump in the upper bass region which warms up the vocals and acoustics. In terms of soundstage, they're not widest or deepest, but you can't really expect much from an ear bud. Though saying that, when listening to something that's well mastered and has a lot of separation between the channels, you can pinpoint locations of elements horizontally, though not much vertically.

Please note, these are very early impressions.

IMG_0342.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #7,380 of 7,442
Monk Go Impressions (18/06/2021)

Looking and reading back on this thread brings warmth to my heart seeing who the VE Monk brought us all together in such humble discussion. The Monk has gone through many iterations, whether in style, colour or tech, many of them sounded slightly and even drastically different. So it is hard to give a comparable impression on such an evolving ear phone.

So onto the Monk Go. I've only had them for Maybe 3 days, so these impressions are super early but I couldn't wait to write something about them. I can't give a comparative impression until I find my original Monk stash which I've not listened to for quite some time. So here it goes. Please be kind as it's been years since I've written anything here.

The Monk Go sounds quite dynamic and full bodied, with a slight airiness to highs. The bass isn't in your face but it's all there. Even powering them with the Audio-GD NFB15, the bass goes quite low and stays flat through mid bass with a tiny bit of a hump in the upper bass region which warms up the vocals and acoustics. In terms of soundstage, they're not widest or deepest, but you can't really expect much from an ear bud. Though saying that, when listening to something that's well mastered and has a lot of separation between the channels, you can pinpoint locations of elements horizontally, though not much vertically.

Please note, these are very early impressions.

IMG_0342.JPG
Thanks, and looking forward to more from you regarding the Monk GO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back