[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Feb 11, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #6,781 of 7,442
Is it an improvement of the current Monk+ or it is the same with different color?

The driver is the same, wires look different due to multi-colored shielding and braiding but in theory shouldn't affect the sound since it's the same material, and here you have 2.5mm TRRS balanced termination which depending on your source and synergy with it can affect the sound (but it's relative to your source, not Monks).

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #6,783 of 7,442
Can anyone recommend me some Viper4Android settings for the VE Monk? I'm trying to get a nice clear sound without too much treble or hiss (mainly listen to rock)

For the equalizer, I have it as flat with the two frequencies on the right slightly reduced to decrease hiss (8k and 16k) but I'm not sure which other ones I should be increasing. Other settings I have are:

AAC gain enabled with a 'slight effect', max gain at 3x, and max output at -1.9 dB
Spectrum extension enabled with 0.3 strength
Dynamic System enabled with 'common headphone v2' as listening device and 20percent dynamic bass
ViperBass enabled with natural bass selected at 60hz frequency and 6.0 dB boost
Viper clarity enabled with natural clarity mode and 3.5 dB clarity
Everything else like AnalogX, Auditory System Proection, Reverb, differential sound, and headphone surround+ are disabled

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #6,787 of 7,442

Apparently I'm mistaken and the "Darth Piano Black" Monk is still available on veclan.com, the problem being the version of it you're looking for isn't available.  Sorry for the mixup.  Your color choices for 1-button mic are smoke, purple & coffee, so can't say if any of these will suit your tastes.  The black version only comes in 3.5mm balanced.

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #6,789 of 7,442
What kind of Foam do you guys use w/ the Monk+? Donut, Full, no Foam?

I'm considering ordering some Donut Foam, Don't have any at the moment. Curious if it would be good w/ the Monk+

I use full foam, but Hiegi makes solid donuts.

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #6,790 of 7,442
With my espresso monks I prefer the donut foams.

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #6,791 of 7,442
Hiegi donuts made a big difference for my red M+. And they don't make my ears itch like the stock full foam ones. Perhaps my skin isn't tough enough.

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #6,792 of 7,442

I'm considering ordering some Donut Foam, Don't have any at the moment. Curious if it would be good w/ the Monk+

The Monk thin foams are my favorites but because they're thin, they go loose and baggy quite quickly and I can lose patience. So at the moment I have the thicker Monk foams on.

Feb 14, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #6,793 of 7,442

Try the VE Ex-pack. It comes with thin foams, thick foams, donuts, rubber rings and earhooks (2 sizes). Lots of choices there.

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #6,794 of 7,442
Greetings all, 
I've been enjoying this thread.  As a result of reading here have recently ordered:  Monk Plus Espresso, Phillips SHE3800 & TY Hi-Z HP-32.  Have had for years now a pair of Yuin PK-2.  

I'm planning to get a DAP/MP3 player for use during walks playing ALAC files of ripped CDs.  Leaning towards an Apple iPod Nano though I've spent considerable time searching threads on Head-Fi and did note the great price and praise for the FiiO X-1 Gen 2.  But I'm a little concerned about the recent Amazon reviews for the X-1 and what seems like glitchy firmware.  So thinking iPod Nano.  Might not deliver top of the line sound quality but outdoors walking, possibly not noticeable.  Plus in my experience, Apple stuff just works out of the box.

I realize this is NOT a DAP/MP3 player thread but am curious which DAPs might have been successful with the Monk (or any of the others listed above).  If there's a more appropriate thread to follow, please point me to it.  Search engine results on Head-Fi are a little bewildering to me (keywords & filters don't seem to focus the results as much as I'd expect).

Thanks in advance for your input and help.    

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #6,795 of 7,442
Greetings all, 
I've been enjoying this thread.  As a result of reading here have recently ordered:  Monk Plus Espresso, Phillips SHE3800 & TY Hi-Z HP-32.  Have had for years now a pair of Yuin PK-2.  

I'm planning to get a DAP/MP3 player for use during walks playing ALAC files of ripped CDs.  Leaning towards an Apple iPod Nano though I've spent considerable time searching threads on Head-Fi and did note the great price and praise for the FiiO X-1 Gen 2.  But I'm a little concerned about the recent Amazon reviews for the X-1 and what seems like glitchy firmware.  So thinking iPod Nano.  Might not deliver top of the line sound quality but outdoors walking, possibly not noticeable.  Plus in my experience, Apple stuff just works out of the box.

I realize this is NOT a DAP/MP3 player thread but am curious which DAPs might have been successful with the Monk (or any of the others listed above).  If there's a more appropriate thread to follow, please point me to it.  Search engine results on Head-Fi are a little bewildering to me (keywords & filters don't seem to focus the results as much as I'd expect).

Thanks in advance for your input and help.    
Benjie s5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back