2020 - Most comfortable high end headphones under $2k?
May 21, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #19 of 53
800's and Arya's good choices, but a used pair of E2's is better IMO.

May 21, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #23 of 53
Mr Speakers Ether 2 are incredibly light, especially so for planars AFAIK, I was kind of astonished when I demoed them (they seemed comfortable too but I didn't wear for more than 20 minutes). idk how well the nitinol headband can be re-shaped to alter clamping force (maybe someone has tried on the Aeon or Ether threads). I agree about the HD800 being comfortabe but was also only in demo.

Personally never had issues in terms of neck/jaw pain or hot-spots but FWIW Sony Z7 are probably the most comfortable over-ears I have ever had. Audio Technica AP2000Ti not quite as plush but pretty decent too.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #26 of 53
I assume you mean Shure E2 IEMS. I actually have a pair of Shure SE846's that are great but sometimes you want that more "in the room" feeling rather than "in your head" feeling.

Sorry no. MrSpeakers Ether 2 - they are over $2k new, but not used.

May 22, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #28 of 53
An online order or brick and mortar?

From his description sounded like more like on-head brick and mortar. But I'll let him answer :wink:

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #29 of 53
Interestingly, Sennheiser has reduced the price of HD 800 S on their website to $1399 which is less than they are going for on ebay. Though I don't see shops updating their prices just yet.

Thanks for the recommendations. It sounds like there is not a clear winner on comfort but multiple options. This is a good thing, though I did hope everyone would just say it was one specific model to make things easy. :)

Huh, this is starting to feel like there is going to be another 800 modlevel coming out.

Anyway, it can't be one specific model, not one best headphone, not one most comfortable headphone. This is very, very personal stuff. One man's carp is another man's treasure.

May 22, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #30 of 53
AKG K812s are probably the most comfortable headphone I've ever used. They aren't light, but they distribute their weight very evenly, and the cups are so deep they don't make any contact with your ears.

5205136.jpg

At one point I owned both the K812 and the HD800, and ended up selling the HD800 in large part because of comfort. The HD800 is extremely large; like, comically large. Wearing them is a little like wearing a helmet, with the ear cups resting on your cheek bones (or very near them). It makes extended listening very uncomfortable. I also slightly preferred the sound of the K812. They are a bit brighter than the HD800, but they also have a better bass response, going lower and with a bit more power.

The K812 is criminally underrated IMO, and I'd like to see them get more love. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back