2019 New Product: aune S6 Pro DAC/Headphone Amplifier with Balanced Outputs
May 10, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #18 of 34
How many AK4497 dac chips are used in this?

To my knowledge AK4497 is a 2-channel (stereo) dac chip, so I believe two of these chips have to be used to implement "True-Balanced" Dac section.

uZ0vUL6.png

I'm not so sure about your logic though. Plenty of PRO audio like the RME ADI-2 use a single chip and most definitely operate fully balanced.

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #19 of 34
uZ0vUL6.png

I'm not so sure about your logic though. Plenty of PRO audio like the RME ADI-2 use a single chip and most definitely operate fully balanced.
Are you sure that RME uses only one AKM chip?
I'm sure that to implement a "True-Balanced" dac you need a chip that support (at least) four channels (Eg: Most ESS chips has 8 channels so, even one chip is enough) but since AK4497 is only two channel you need two chips to make a "True-Balanced" dac. DAC unit in this aune has to be "Fully-Differential" but not "True-Balanced" like Questyle CMA400 or THX 789 amp.

May 11, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #21 of 34
100%. Here is an internal pic property of basshead.club, they use 1 single chip too. You might be right that it is fully differential and not dual mono but does it really matter?
I think it does because Only "True-Balanced" dacs or amps have the "Common-Mode Rejection". I don't think "Fully Differential" circuits can do that.
From my experience "True-Balanced" dacs helped me from controlling some noise issues I get when I'm using amp with Non-Balanced dacs.

May 11, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #22 of 34
I think it does because Only "True-Balanced" dacs or amps have the "Common-Mode Rejection". I don't think "Fully Differential" circuits can do that.
From my experience "True-Balanced" dacs helped me from controlling some noise issues I get when I'm using amp with Non-Balanced dacs.
Common mode rejection is inherent to any balanced signal :) as long as there is no noise before your cable run it will be cancelled out, differential design or not.

I know this is a delicate subject since true balanced is much more costly, but I find solace in the fact that a company like RME can make a flagship DAC with a single chip. They know very well what they're doing.

May 23, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #25 of 34
Awesome. Can't wait for availability to pick up.

**EDIT** Found and purchased the X8.

Well, This device isn't great. The pre-amp functionality seems to suck the life out of the sound quality, and the volume pot creates significant noise when the knob is touched. This, and finding out that it isn't compatible with my recently purchased XP1 is disappointing :frowning2: This is gonna cost a lot to ship back to China. UPDATE: costs too much to return. Will only be used with a headphone amp.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #26 of 34
And are there more people who bought this and like to share sound impressions?
Im just holding my trigger:thinking:
I anyway really like the nononsense looks.

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #29 of 34
Trying to decide if I should buy this over the Monoprice THX AAA 788. This would be much cheaper for me. However, I just can't find reliable information regarding the output impedance & output power at 32-50ohm. Can't pull the trigger unless I know exactly what I'm getting regarding the amp side of things. Any help?

Oct 21, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #30 of 34
Trying to decide if I should buy this over the Monoprice THX AAA 788. This would be much cheaper for me. However, I just can't find reliable information regarding the output impedance & output power at 32-50ohm. Can't pull the trigger unless I know exactly what I'm getting regarding the amp side of things. Any help?

Do you need a strong amplifier? It ain't the loudest thing around, but it is very clean, crisp and clear :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back