2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Dec 11, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #137 of 1,496
You can try iFi amplifier with XBass, that proved to compliment the HD800's bass department, making it a better headphone.
I'm using those. While I'd agree with the bass bit, I'd also say that this will sometime exacerbate the flat mids that the HD800S has. I solved the problem with a Loki.

Dec 12, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #139 of 1,496
Definitely a lovely case there, but it's impossible for me to get excited about the build quality of new headphones since the ATH-L3000. And actually, I lost a lot of interest in AT after they followed the L3000 with W5000, but I'd absolutely love it if they came out with a L3000 kind of sound again (especially if improved). I still like a good Leatherhead listen every now and then, though Stax has become my main headphone rig by far.

Nice sonic impressions so far.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #140 of 1,496
the only problem is the cable, A2DC connector, if cable are easy to roll... these are certainly interesting

metal dome is good, with proper enclosure, SE-master 1, metal dome, high bass distortion, failed, z1r, metal dome, high bass distortion, also failed. From the experience of ad2000x (ain't no metal dome), Audio Technica is not gonna make those high bass distortion

Dec 13, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #141 of 1,496
Definitely a lovely case there, but it's impossible for me to get excited about the build quality of new headphones since the ATH-L3000. And actually, I lost a lot of interest in AT after they followed the L3000 with W5000, but I'd absolutely love it if they came out with a L3000 kind of sound again (especially if improved). I still like a good Leatherhead listen every now and then, though Stax has become my main headphone rig by far.

Nice sonic impressions so far.
At first I felt the cans were a little empty feeling because it’s light. Very light. But upon closer inspection, I’d have to say these are very solid.

Dec 13, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #142 of 1,496
the only problem is the cable, A2DC connector, if cable are easy to roll... these are certainly interesting

metal dome is good, with proper enclosure, SE-master 1, metal dome, high bass distortion, failed, z1r, metal dome, high bass distortion, also failed. From the experience of ad2000x (ain't no metal dome), Audio Technica is not gonna make those high bass distortion

A bit funny how some people want to say that the SE-master 1 and Z1R "failed" their engineering goals. How exactly do you figure the largest headphone company in the world (Sony) who gave almost unlimited budget for a new statement flagship (the Z1R) "failed"? Especially since the headphone has a legion of fans many of whom, after listening to it, literally sold off all their other headphones.

For the record, bass distortion in the sub-bass/bass region is a very common technique that is engineered into headphones by design. It is a technique used to deliver an extremely pleasant and realistic rendering of bass in a headphone. Listening to headphones is not a natural way to listen to music, as it separates the channels narrowly into each ear. Further, bass rendering in a headphone is doubly unnatural as you don't have the full body impact of bass notes. THD in sub-bass/bass regions can give texture, musicality, and musical enjoyment to a headphone's sound signature - not unlike how some people use tubes to inject HD into various parts of the frequency response to give a euphoric presentation.

As the very happy owner of a Z1R (and big fan of the SE master 1), I have to laugh at all the people claiming Sony "failed" at something. If this is failing, bravo Sony, you fail better than most succeed.

Dec 14, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #143 of 1,496
A bit funny how some people want to say that the SE-master 1 and Z1R "failed" their engineering goals. How exactly do you figure the largest headphone company in the world (Sony) who gave almost unlimited budget for a new statement flagship (the Z1R) "failed"? Especially since the headphone has a legion of fans many of whom, after listening to it, literally sold off all their other headphones.

For the record, bass distortion in the sub-bass/bass region is a very common technique that is engineered into headphones by design. It is a technique used to deliver an extremely pleasant and realistic rendering of bass in a headphone. Listening to headphones is not a natural way to listen to music, as it separates the channels narrowly into each ear. Further, bass rendering in a headphone is doubly unnatural as you don't have the full body impact of bass notes. THD in sub-bass/bass regions can give texture, musicality, and musical enjoyment to a headphone's sound signature - not unlike how some people use tubes to inject HD into various parts of the frequency response to give a euphoric presentation.

As the very happy owner of a Z1R (and big fan of the SE master 1), I have to laugh at all the people claiming Sony "failed" at something. If this is failing, bravo Sony, you fail better than most succeed.
I honestly couldn't understand what he was trying to say, except that this thread is about the ADX5000, which indeed does have a metal (tungsten) done. So I don't quite get his point.

Dec 14, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #144 of 1,496

Bass distortion it is biggest distortion area for headphones. Nowadays mainstream practice it is to make bassy headphones for market demand. Adding extra distortion to most distorted area of frequency spectrum often causes failures. OK, Z1R are good at bass control, but SE Master 1 - sorry, total failure for such price.

Dec 14, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #145 of 1,496
Looks like the ADX5000 was a 2018 Innovation Award honoree:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/news/43fcd89a960d27ec/index.html

A little unusual for an audiophile focused product. They tend to pick products which have some whiz-bang technology, like bluetooth smart self-adjusting connected social headphones.

For comparison in 2016 the honorees were things like the Orpheus and the nano-tech Hifiman HE1000.

The article also mentions 2017 December availability at $1999. I haven't seen any for sale yet so it seems like that date slipped.

Dec 14, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #146 of 1,496
Looks like the ADX5000 was a 2018 Innovation Award honoree:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/news/43fcd89a960d27ec/index.html

A little unusual for an audiophile focused product. They tend to pick products which have some whiz-bang technology, like bluetooth smart self-adjusting connected social headphones.

For comparison in 2016 the honorees were things like the Orpheus and the nano-tech Hifiman HE1000.

The article also mentions 2017 December availability at $1999. I haven't seen any for sale yet so it seems like that date slipped.

Yes it’s already available. I have one. But in japan only so far. I understand the global launch is Jan 2018.

Dec 14, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #148 of 1,496
Dec 14, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #149 of 1,496
Dec 14, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #150 of 1,496
Wow. If their treble is stronger than the 800S, then I guess I’m no longer interested. That brings it too close to the original 800, which is just too much for me. That just hurts my ears.
No, they're not the same range. The HD800 had that 6khz spike, which the HD800S eliminated. The ADX5000 also doesn't have that spike. What it does have is more clarity and detail, which is treble at a much higher frequency. Not the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back